• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Welcome to the "New" SimCity 4 Devotion!

Started by Tarkus, August 16, 2019, 05:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

welcome back and thank you so much for getting us back up and running! it's great to see the place with it's new fresh look too :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

CasperVg

Thanks Alex and everyone for the hard work to keep the site running :)

Heather and Susan, David's wife and sister, are running a GoFundMe page where you can support his treatment and recovery financially. You can find it here.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Tarkus

Quote from: CasperVg on August 17, 2019, 11:18:25 AM
Thanks Alex and everyone for the hard work to keep the site running :)

Many thanks to you as well, Casper, for your assistance with getting the LEX back up and running. :thumbsup:

And thank you to all of you for your support--it's great to see so many familiar faces back here (I think everyone's probably especially happy to see you here, memo--myself very much included), and I hope that the "new" SC4D provides an even better experience for you all.

I did have to uninstall pretty much every mod the forums had been using before, in large part because there were a lot of outdated/ancient things behind the scenes on the "old" SC4D--which still had PHP and SMF components from 8 to 10 years ago (!) under the hood. 

The "Like Posts" mod was one of the first things I reinstalled, and it's been here since we've been open again, but for whatever reason, the actual button itself had not been showing up, and multiple attempts at uninstalling and reinstalling the mod were not successful in addressing that.  For whatever reason, the mod wasn't installing its hooks into the theme we're using, but I was able to locate what I needed to add, and do things manually, so it should be working once again.

The other reputation system we were using, the karma points, is presently a bit barebones at the moment as well, as there's been some issues with the Karma Description mod that had been previously in use.  I will continue looking into it, however.

Being that I have full access over the back end of the site now--and the process of getting this place back up and running forced me to learn a lot of new technical things--the turnaround on forum features and issues should be a lot quicker than it was over the past several years.

Also, regarding David, his family is also posting updates on his condition here.

-Alex

Badsim

Huge debt of gratitude indeed for Alex and those directly or indirectly involved in the rescue and new management of our beloved site . It would have been such a disaster ...

I've just a little question ; who is from now managing the site financing , in other terms ; do have subscribers  something to change to their Paypal subscriptions ?

Thanks.

My deepest whishes for David's recovery at the best possible , and currently foreseable consequences aren't obvious  .What we can see and read at caringbridge.org is heartbreaking . That kind of stroke of bad luck that happens to the best people you know , or simply heard of , sounds particularly terrible and unjust . But even in the worst situation , David commands the admiration and the inspiration he has always commanded.

Regards, Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

noahclem

Great to see SC4D's new incarnation up and running! Thanks so much to everyone who's pitched in to make this happen, especially Alex and Casper  &apls

Tarkus

Thank you, Cédric and Noah, for the kind words. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Badsim on August 18, 2019, 04:54:05 AM
I've just a little question ; who is from now managing the site financing , in other terms ; do have subscribers  something to change to their Paypal subscriptions ?

The previous webmaster was the only one with access to the PayPal account.  He apparently closed it before the domain was transferred, and there is presently no donation account for the "new SC4D" (nor plans to start one at this juncture).  As of right now, any subscription/renewal/donation attempts would likely bounce back with an error.  If you have a recurring charge/auto-renewal set up, I would advise canceling it. 

Right now, I'd prefer to see members who are looking to donate to the "new SC4D" instead help with David and his family with their expenses, in the wake of his accident. 

-Alex

PaPa-J

Quote from: Tarkus on August 21, 2019, 06:20:11 AM
Thank you, Cédric and Noah, for the kind words. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Badsim on August 18, 2019, 04:54:05 AM

The previous webmaster was the only one with access to the PayPal account.  He apparently closed it before the domain was transferred, and there is presently no donation account for the "new SC4D" (nor plans to start one at this juncture).  As of right now, any subscription/renewal/donation attempts would likely bounce back with an error.  If you have a recurring charge/auto-renewal set up, I would advise canceling it. 

Right now, I'd prefer to see members who are looking to donate to the "new SC4D" instead help with David and his family with their expenses, in the wake of his accident. 

-Alex

And how do you go about canceling the recurring charge?  Do we do that on this site or on paypal?
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

APSMS

If I'm being honest I don't care for cosmetics much but as the site's function appears to be unchanged, I don't really care that much about how it looks. I'm more glad that the transition is complete and SC4D is back up for business!

Great work, Alex!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Tarkus

Quote from: APSMS on August 22, 2019, 03:48:01 AM
If I'm being honest I don't care for cosmetics much but as the site's function appears to be unchanged, I don't really care that much about how it looks. I'm more glad that the transition is complete and SC4D is back up for business!

Great work, Alex!

Thanks, Absalom! :thumbsup:

Quote from: PaPa-J on August 21, 2019, 10:23:23 AM
And how do you go about canceling the recurring charge?  Do we do that on this site or on paypal?

As far as I know, the actual trigger is forum-side, and links into PayPal as a payment gateway.  There was a setting "Allow user to auto-renew this subscription" on the Admin side for each subscription type, and I have unchecked that box on each of them, which should automatically prevent auto-renewal from happening.  I'd double check your PayPal account to be safe, however.

There are some more things that will need to be worked out with the phasing out of the subscription system in time (and in consultation with everyone who is currently shown as having a subscription), but this at least removes a rather imminent issue.

-Alex

seraf

I'm so happy to see that the site and forums are back and well :thumbsup: Big thanks for those who worked hard to make this happen  &apls &apls &apls

fantozzi

Dr. Tarkus, you know, people like me would be homeless without SC4Devotion.

I'll thank you all, who were involved in moving the whole refugee's house for SC4 addict to a save place.

If you don't mind – I'll take my old room again. Ii seems you didn't change the sheets, so there's still some of Fantozzi's smell in it. Not even that went missing. Great job.  :thumbsup:

APSMS

Also I had no idea about dedgren's accident. I was reading through the family's journal logs on CaringBridge; I am very sad to see that news, but I'm glad he's stable and progressing. I would be very sad if we were never able to see another one of dedgren's creations. I'll have to make an account to make sure to leave him and his family a nice message.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mattb325

It's great to see the site back up and functional (minus the inverted punctuation marks  ;)).

A huge, huge, huge well done to all involved.  :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed for David. It was pretty touch-and-go for a while, but I truly hope he has turned a corner and continues to improve. My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Krasner

Thank you so much for the site re-location, it's perfect  &apls &apls I really was afraid that it would be the end of it at some point  ::)
ANARCHIST !!

PaPa-J

Quote from: Tarkus on August 22, 2019, 03:52:11 AM
Quote from: PaPa-J on August 21, 2019, 10:23:23 AM

As far as I know, the actual trigger is forum-side, and links into PayPal as a payment gateway.  There was a setting "Allow user to auto-renew this subscription" on the Admin side for each subscription type, and I have unchecked that box on each of them, which should automatically prevent auto-renewal from happening.  I'd double check your PayPal account to be safe, however.

There are some more things that will need to be worked out with the phasing out of the subscription system in time (and in consultation with everyone who is currently shown as having a subscription), but this at least removes a rather imminent issue.

-Alex

I got a notice yesterday from PayPal saying you canceled the recurring payment.  Thanks!
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Tarkus

Quote from: PaPa-J on August 26, 2019, 08:51:02 AM
I got a notice yesterday from PayPal saying you canceled the recurring payment.  Thanks!

That would have actually been the previous webmaster's doing.  He's gone in and canceled any auto-renewals on the PayPal end, as well as refunding anyone whose donation attempted an auto-renewal of late. 

-Alex

Ralfger

It's up and running again!  &hlp

Thank you so much for your time and great effort to relocate the site! In the beginning I was afraid that SC4 comes to an end, too...

tomvsotis

Oh, wow! Belatedly, but: this is awesome! I'm so happy that this lovely community has a home again. Thanks to everyone involved for keeping SC4D alive!!  &apls :bnn: :laugh: &apls

Terring7

Welcome back, SC4D ;D
And get well soon, David :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Shark7

Been a while since I last visited and well...things look different.  Then I notice that things actually are different.   ;D

Congrats to Tarkus and all the staff members on the new management.  The site is in good hands.