• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Kolbrow (13.10.2019 - Olsza - a mosaic)

Started by kbieniu7, October 09, 2008, 11:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Framly

congrats to your 8th anniversary, well done ;)

i really like the winter scenery :)

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

belfastsocrates

Fantastic set of previous updates the winter scenes were superb and I really loved the market square with the snow and lights. What did you use to create the snow covered ground?

The overview is impressive as well.

Happy 8th Anniversary!
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

kbieniu7

Arthur, vortext, 11241036, Framly and belfastsocrates - Thank you very much for your comments :) Unfortunately, no snow for the moment, we go back to greenery :p The mod, I used is PEG snow mod 2 for constant snow layer and Xannepan's Jupiter Mod for temporary layer and atmospheric effects. And of course seasonal flora ;)

Ok, so there were few years of lovely villages, acres of wheat, green forests and mountain valleys. So, let's go back to...

Today we're going to see the district of Grzegórzki, that is located between the historical centre and Nowa Huta. It's a bit chaotic, old industrial district, that today makes a transition consisting of W2W's, commie blocks, new apartements and some old low-rise developement.

1. Avenue of Heroes of World War II (pol: aleja Bohaterów II Wojny Światowej). Those three identical buidlings along it are offices of City Hall and Voivodeship Government. Behind them there's a modern buidling of Ministry of Internal Affaires and... and maybe something more :P The yellow building on their right is headquarters of "SimCityPolska" ;)

On the other side of the avenue the historical district of Stanisłów begins. The palace and the park - I tried to make a botanical garden right here, but I failed :P

2. The same area. You can see the unfinished skyscraper near Rondo Mogilskie and the blue tower of Colbrovia Buisness Center near Rondo Grzegórzeckie.

Actually, this area is highly inspired by real part in Kraków (Skeletor, CBC, tree identical office buildings and the small dual skyscraper on the lower left of the screen are real bats from Kraków). Aleja Powstania Warszawskiego - you can see it here on Google 45 degree imagery.

3. Old commie housing estate between Wirta river and the old factories.

4. Railway stop "Grzegórzki" near an old brewery. The line was firstly constructed as freight bypass, but now it's going to be used by passanger Agglomeration Railway Network.

5. Some new housing.

6. Old airstrip. The first airport in Kolbrów, closed in 1960's.

7. Back to CBC.

8. And some further view. The next update should be from the another river bank.

Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

cmdp123789

&apls

Fantastic update! I really love the pictures that you chose. Hopefully this is a more active year for this beautiful city  :thumbsup:

compdude787

Your city sure looks nice! And I like how you put a bit of a historical artifact in there with having that old airport. Surprised the land hasn't been completely redeveloped over the past 50 years. Heck, there is no trace of Stapleton Airport (except for the control tower) in Denver which was closed in 1995 after the new airport opened.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Themistokles

Lovely contrasts between the different city-parts, the big housing blocks, the W2W areas, the single-family houses, industry, government buildings etc. Every neighbourhood has its distinct character. The tram-in-avenue underpass is also really good. Great work as always! :thumbsup:
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

kelis

I love your region and you know it. The city center couldn't be better. It has the same Polish style that the rest of your region and for that reason I like that much your style. You can keep the same real style in all your region. Fantastic once again and Thanks for share the pictures with us.
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

art128

The overviews are really impressive. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Vizoria

You have created a rather open, spacious European city and those residential blocks are superbly placed. Good use of fillers, SFBT's content and of those MMP forests. Amazing region view to!

kbieniu7

Hello!

Quote from: cmdp123789 on January 04, 2016, 12:50:13 PM
Fantastic update! I really love the pictures that you chose. Hopefully this is a more active year for this beautiful city  :thumbsup:
Thank you! Yes, I had "stored" several parts of my region, which hasn't been showed yet, so I can make quite few updates now ;)

Quote from: compdude787 on January 04, 2016, 06:18:24 PM
Your city sure looks nice! And I like how you put a bit of a historical artifact in there with having that old airport. Surprised the land hasn't been completely redeveloped over the past 50 years. Heck, there is no trace of Stapleton Airport (except for the control tower) in Denver which was closed in 1995 after the new airport opened.
In contrary I'm surprised how Stapleton Airport has quickly disappeared in 20 years! Thanks for showing this fact, it's really interesting to learn that :) A bit funny to see ATC tower standing among homes :D
Well, in Poland there was never such strong urban sprawl (even inside the cities), especially during communism. I based on old airport in Kraków. Similiar history, closed in 1960's. The concrete airstrip remained until today, divided on two parts. One part is a museum of aviation, with airshows being held once a year. Another part remained undeveloped being a fancy "park" in the middle of an block estate and becoming a very characteristical (even historical) element. Unfortunately, on a little part, there are new blocks being built.
Article at Wikipedia
Satelite image

Quote from: Themistokles on January 05, 2016, 06:02:25 AM
Lovely contrasts between the different city-parts, the big housing blocks, the W2W areas, the single-family houses, industry, government buildings etc. Every neighbourhood has its distinct character. The tram-in-avenue underpass is also really good. Great work as always! :thumbsup:
Thank you. I tried to make an are with contrasts, but not so sharp. I'm glad, to hear, you like it :)

Quote from: kelis on January 06, 2016, 09:34:48 AM
I love your region and you know it. The city center couldn't be better. It has the same Polish style that the rest of your region and for that reason I like that much your style. You can keep the same real style in all your region. Fantastic once again and Thanks for share the pictures with us.
Happy to read your comment! Even happier to hear that! Well, I tried to do my best, to recreate polish ambiance (which consist mostly of developement chaos ;) ) Thank you very much!

Quote from: art128 on January 06, 2016, 09:42:20 AM
The overviews are really impressive. :)
Thanks, friend! :)

Quote from: Vizoria on January 06, 2016, 10:07:21 AM
You have created a rather open, spacious European city and those residential blocks are superbly placed. Good use of fillers, SFBT's content and of those MMP forests. Amazing region view to!
Yes, this part was supposed to be open, however the very centre is quite dense. Thanks!

Next update from the industrial areas and railyards in Kolbrów should be soon, but in meanwhile I would like to show you some technical shots of the are I'm currently working at.

It's the area of the dam, I mentioned few updates before. I haven't moved any further with the BAT of the dam, I had a problem, that 3dsmax doesn't seem to export a file to read in gmax (even though he shows a monit, that it did). However I'm quite not in mood to play in 3dsmax now and look closer at this problem, as I have quite plenty of work and projects at university to make in 3D, so I would like to rest a bit from it for the moment ;)

So, the area itself is quite complicated. I spent few afternoons on making only a layout there. In this place we have:

- main river flowing from the reservoir
- a tributary river
- a small stream, that is a tributary of the tributary river
- voivodeship road
- railway
- some streets
- and the fact, that it's located on a tile border.

It was quite a trouble to lay it down, as I needed to build three bridges just by border and the railway with maximum 3,5% slope (from BRF slope mod).

So, that's how it looks like at the moment - showing what has been already done and what is going to be built soon.

Hope, you enjoy such small break in all-detailed shots of finished areas ;)

Nanami

Interesting layout you make there. in fact, creating such thing in the city border make it much harder to make ingame. looking forward to see more of it! :)

Themistokles

You're brave to place a dam right across a tile border :D It all looks very promising, it shows that the layout is well thought-through, and then WIP shots are always very interesting. Are you maybe planning a diagonal bridge for the road in the bottom left-hand corner?
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

noahclem

Quite the project you have going there! I also enjoy these WIP shots. Great work on the city center in the previous update  &apls

cmdp123789

Well that is some interesting work to do! I wonder why you chose this location in particular, knowing the tile border was right there  :D ;)

In any case, I like to see the technical side of it too.. makes it feel almost like we are all playing the same game.. haha!

compdude787

Wow, nice work, especially with the dam being on two different city tiles!

My YouTube Channel

That's some great work with the dam, especially considering that it is located on two city tiles. Good work making all the pieces of the dam and the rivers fitting together. Please don't worry about the WIP pictures, sometimes it is actually more interesting to see how other people are accomplishing things step by step than just seeing the final result. Of course, I'd like to see the finished dam, however ;D.

kbieniu7

Nanami, Themistokles, Noahclem, cmdp123789, compdude787, 11241036 - thanks for your comments. Nice to hear that you have found it interesting  :P

But that's actually a good question why I have chosen that hard place on a border. Well, the answer is, I was making a little bit of terraforming to correct some ugly spots and boundary misplacings. After that I made a map from transport data views of each city and spotted THAT valley, created by me by accident.

I just couldn't have pass that chance to place a water reservoir there. It was perfect: (relatively) big volume, steep slopes and narrow spot to build the dam. Just like looking for placing a dam on a real map. Only minus was the border :P

Actually, there are more issues concerning rivers and watersheds in my region. I created and started shaping my region 8 years ago and it was continously changing step by step. Without sc4terraformer, tile by tile. I was so stupid then that I didn't think about an obvious fact, that rivers cannot flow uphill... So now I have a lot of work to cut through hills and make gorges in half developed areas. I'll make another technical update in future about it.

For now, let's see, how the works moved a little bit. Shops and industry on the border are just temporary to create demand.

And a shot of another village and a stream being laid down 3 km away  :)

c.p.

Pretty seamless.  :thumbsup: It looks like a fun terrain to build on.  Challenging enough to be interesting, but not grueling.
Your main city above looks great, especially how the industry, apartment complexes and older W2W areas all fit together. &apls

compdude787

My YouTube Channel

cmdp123789

I asked because it always makes it such a hard place to build on.. but I get what you mean.. perfect opportunity! I like how this is going so far. I am hoping to see even more now!