• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Disable Maxis Steam Freight Locomotive

Started by Rady, May 07, 2009, 03:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simulation City

Quote from: RippleJet on May 26, 2009, 01:35:25 PMOk, let me know if these work as anticipated...

Two replacement options (both textures made by rivit) are attached for the ingame steam engine:
  • German Class DB23 2-6-2
  • German Class DB41 2-8-2

In addition to those two, I'm also reuploading the replacement for the ingame diesel freight train.
The file that was attached to my first post above was lacking one important S3D file... &ops

Thus, ingame diesel engine replaced by (texture made by i-photon):
  • BNSF GE Dash9 44CW

Hi, the links seem to be dead. Could anyone share the 3 files above?

The in-game steam engines pulling container freight act is really hilarious. :D

Thanks.

Tarkus

Most attachments on the forums are currently broken, as a result of the SMF 2.1.3 upgrade (which we needed to do in order to prevent the forum from getting destroyed by spambots), even though they're still actually on the server.

Rather than getting flooded with requests to reattach things on a piecemeal basis, I'm attempting to address the larger problem, though so far, have not had any success.

-Alex

mgb204

I'll also note that quite a few Steam Engine replacements exist, so you aren't limited to the options mentioned.

Take a look at Rivit's content here (STEX), I'm sure they exist there.

Otherwise I recommend Vester's fantastic automata.

Dragonsteincole has also been knocking it out of the park recently, especially if you are interested in UK rolling stock (I am :D).

Simulation City

Quote from: Tarkus on April 10, 2023, 06:31:30 PMMost attachments on the forums are currently broken, as a result of the SMF 2.1.3 upgrade (which we needed to do in order to prevent the forum from getting destroyed by spambots), even though they're still actually on the server.

Rather than getting flooded with requests to reattach things on a piecemeal basis, I'm attempting to address the larger problem, though so far, have not had any success.

-Alex

Quote from: mgb204 on April 11, 2023, 05:18:53 AMI'll also note that quite a few Steam Engine replacements exist, so you aren't limited to the options mentioned.

Take a look at Rivit's content here (STEX), I'm sure they exist there.

Otherwise I recommend Vester's fantastic automata.

Dragonsteincole has also been knocking it out of the park recently, especially if you are interested in UK rolling stock (I am :D).

Thanks guys. Glad to hear from the NAM team members themselves.

I prefer to directly remove the steam engine rather than replacing it with anything else like models in the 50s/60s since I am planning to simulate modern cities. Is it possible to achieve that by removing bat/dat files or manipulating data using the ilive reader (still a beginner at using that)?

By the way thanks for pointing to rivit's mods page. The catenary add-on interests me a lot. (Tried to use it but seems like doesn't work with the latest NAM. No catenaries showed up after installing and accounting for the loading sequence (to be loaded after NAM)) 

mgb204

You can remove Automata, it just requires a modified Exemplar, but that's simply one way to go. I'm honestly not sure if you can do this for just the Steam Engine, since the trucks/wagons would likely remain, only now without a train pulling them.

Rather than suppress all of this, I prefer to change the models to more modern engines. Until recently I was using SE (Steam Engine Replacements) from Vester, which include various US freight engines among his content.

A good way to replace the wagons is using this mod by Jim, it also includes the files to suppress the Maxis stuff, you could just use that if you wanted to. But it has excellent quality replacement wagons, a few mods do similar things with different models of course. Likewise for the Engines and all SC4 Automata, plenty of replacements exist for all sorts of time periods and places.

One useful thing, if you have the official Maxis DLC for the Air Force Base, you'll probably want this fix too, to make sure no Steam engines can appear.

As for the RRW Catenaries by Rivit, do note that it just provides the mechanism to place them on the RRW. You need to have this file installed which contains the actual models (catenaries) themselves. Rivit's mod is not 100% complete, but does cover all the base content and is probably the most complete such mod for RRW out there.

Simulation City

Quote from: mgb204 on April 12, 2023, 04:08:26 AMYou can remove Automata, it just requires a modified Exemplar, but that's simply one way to go. I'm honestly not sure if you can do this for just the Steam Engine, since the trucks/wagons would likely remain, only now without a train pulling them.

Rather than suppress all of this, I prefer to change the models to more modern engines. Until recently I was using SE (Steam Engine Replacements) from Vester, which include various US freight engines among his content.

A good way to replace the wagons is using this mod by Jim, it also includes the files to suppress the Maxis stuff, you could just use that if you wanted to. But it has excellent quality replacement wagons, a few mods do similar things with different models of course. Likewise for the Engines and all SC4 Automata, plenty of replacements exist for all sorts of time periods and places.

One useful thing, if you have the official Maxis DLC for the Air Force Base, you'll probably want this fix too, to make sure no Steam engines can appear.

As for the RRW Catenaries by Rivit, do note that it just provides the mechanism to place them on the RRW. You need to have this file installed which contains the actual models (catenaries) themselves. Rivit's mod is not 100% complete, but does cover all the base content and is probably the most complete such mod for RRW out there.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Jim's mod will do the job. :)

As for the rail catenary issue, ya I have installed the "essential files" you linked, still doesn't show up. By the way, I realize the NAM team has the "hybrid rail" feature which looks cool with the wires. Unfortunately the rail texture does not display properly with puzzle pieces like FLUPs (there is no "road under hybrid rail" FLUP for example) and there does not seem to be "sharp bending" hybrid rail functionality (the 45 degree piece took up quite a lot of space, though it's more realistic I guess?).

But anyway, great job guys. Save for the issues mentioned above, the hybrid rail texture works well for me for now. I really enjoy the NAM team's hard work.

Keep it up! :thumbsup:   

mgb204

After you added the Catenary files, did you click around to refresh the Rail network and show the props? Because T21 mods only add to networks if they are present when it is built. So if you added this later, you will need to refresh everything to get them to show.

Indeed there is no road FLUP for HRW, the reason for this is because the HRW is pretty new and the FLUPs are a legacy feature. Essentially further development of Puzzle Pieces like the old FLUPs has been verboten for some time. The intended modern FLUPs replacement debuted in late 3x releases but currently only supports the RHW system. Eventually this system will be ported over for the regular FLUPs and then support for newer networks will be addressed.

As for the Wide Radius Curves, Hybrid Railway is not intended to support tighter curves, it's partially a realism-focused thing but also because HRW is an intermediary network. Looking forward the RRW-Like transformation of Monorail to Real-HSR (RHSRP), it's purpose is for dual rail type stretches between dedicated RRW / RHSRP lines only rather than as an all-purpose standalone network.

Sim City

Quote from: mgb204 on April 13, 2023, 02:09:22 PMAfter you added the Catenary files, did you click around to refresh the Rail network and show the props? Because T21 mods only add to networks if they are present when it is built. So if you added this later, you will need to refresh everything to get them to show.

Hi, may I know how do you "refresh" the rail network?

You are right that I added it after the original railway is built, so it didn't show up.

(Sorry for using a new account. My old account's password is the same as the email's password and I I lost both accidentally, so I need to use a new account to get things set up again.) 

mgb204

Sorry should have mentioned that, but essentially just by re-clicking every couple tiles with the rail tool on the existing rail lines. That forces the code to check everything again and will update to show the currently installed T21s.

As for the lost account, speak to one of the Admins, they can help you recover the old account if you need too. @Tarkus - just to get your attention ;).