• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earth quake

Albus of Garaway

Haljackey

Alex, I wanted to congratulate you on your entry into the hall of fame.

Even with a hard drive wipe, you continue to show amazing work.  I'm looking forward to seeing your first official update now that you're in the hall of fame.  Tarkusian Cities will never be the same!

vinlabsc3k

Thanx art128 for the explanation ::), but I know already the NAM :-[ and I wanted to know the link to the mod as joelyboy911 did &ops.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

art128

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on December 06, 2009, 01:29:53 AM
Thanx art128 for the explanation ::), but I know already the NAM :-[ and I wanted to know the link to the mod as joelyboy911 did &ops.

No problem, I was myself searching for the BETA too, now that it's done I can download it and watch it in the game. ..  ;D
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Nego

A little OT question but ware did you download the lots you used before you improved the roads like here:

and here:

I know it's just eye candy, but I like them anyway.

Also, I know it's a little late but congrats on the award! &apls ;)

MattyFo

I'm gunna go out on a limb and say that he just made them himself in the LE.  I have done so also, it's quite simple. just find an appropriate texture for the ground and add some construction props.

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Nego

Oh thanks. I ended up doing that anyway after waiting 2 weeks and still not getting a reply but thanks anyway.

:)

woodb3kmaster

Actually, those lots are part of the SFBT Construction Lot Set (or some such name), which AFAIK is on the STEX.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Tarkusian Cities is (finally) back.  My apologies for the lack of activity here over the past 5 months.  The usual suspects (RL and my transit-modding activities here) took their toll, but also, to some extent, I have been pondering what I'm going to do with Tarkusian Cities now that it's in the Hall of Fame, a fact I am still in shock about--and my absolute heartfelt thanks to everyone here who made that possible. 

I guess you could say I've been suffering from a little bit of Second System Syndrome with it.  Now that I'm here in the HoF, I'd like to hit things "out of the park" with updates, to use the popular sports metaphor.  I've been trying to sink enough into the new region I introduced after my hard drive crash to get it really feeling right, and I have also been debating with myself about finally "pinpointing" my regions on the map in order to get some sort of geographic unity through the entire MD.  I've also pondered whether or not I have the time or energy to continue Tarkusian Cities on anything more than a once-in-a-blue moon basis, which is what it has been operating under for some time now.  Figuring out just what Update 60 would bring was really a daunting task, and I've more than likely overthought it to death. So, I've decided to go back to basics--good, old-fashioned, Tarkusian construction fun--and "wing it" after that, perhaps hinting at things to come very subtly . . .

Enough of me rambling. :D  Now onto some waaaaay overdue replies:

Adrian (adroman): Thank you for the kind words--I'm glad you enjoyed the road-geekery!  Hope you didn't have too many withdrawals during the hiatus here. :D

Battlecat: Thanks--I'm glad you enjoyed it, and yes, there will definitely need to be some signalization there in the future.  Those arterials are going to be picking up a lot of volume before long.

Vince (Blue Lightning): Thanks for the kind words--some of my Avenues in Chemeketa are starting to push it a bit far now, so it looks like I'm going to have to mod my way out. :D

Vivien (Earth quake): Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the construction and the industrial area!  That's the first time I've really made a serious attempt at an industrial area and so I'm glad to see the effort paid off!

Ethan (ecoba): Thanks, and the bulldozers are finally warming up again after a lengthy break. :)  And thank you for the congratulations as well--I really appreciate it!

scott1964:  I'm glad you enjoyed the development that time around--thanks for the kind words!

Jordan (canyonjumper): Thanks--it's good to be back again here.  Hopefully, I'll be able to make this a little bit more regular.  I'm glad you enjoyed the historical tidbit, too--origins of geographic names are something I have a rather keen interest in and I'm sure you'll be seeing more along those lines here as well.  And thanks for the congratulations as well . . . 5 months later, it still hasn't fully sunken in.

Jon (JBSimio): I'm actually using the growables on those restaurants and box stores.  Sometimes, I have a hard time not growing them in areas where I'm wanting something else commercially, even.  I used to have difficulties getting them to show up before, but haven't had any problems since installing a Maxis Blocker and the CAM.  I also have a lot of low-density residential in many of my regions, which might also have something to do with it.  Thanks for the kind words, my fellow (and very deservedly so) HoF-er. :)

Matt (threestooges): No need to apologize, and thank you so much for the congratulations on the HoF and the kind words on the widening bit last update.  I've always been kind of obsessive about making sure I have a tile or two of "easement" along my arterials (particularly in residential areas), just in case . . . usually, that "just in case" ends up happening. :D

TmiguelT: Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!  It's still kind of weird that Circuit City's not around . . . oddly enough, I still remember going to the first one in Oregon on opening day back in 1994.  I think you're probably right on Blockbuster--I worked at Blockbuster for a time in 2003-2004, and even then, they were talking about filing for bankruptcy when Viacom was trying to sell them off.

Jon (bakerton): Yeah, TDOT seems to always have quite the supply of funds . . . some say they're growing money on trees near one of their more remote maintenance facilities.  Others say it's just that the legislators are total roadgeeks.  Thanks for the kind words, and I hope you enjoy this latest update.

Bobbi: Thanks for the kind words and the congratulations--I appreciate it. :)

Robin (rooker1): Thanks for the congratulations--and thanks to you on all your tireless efforts with the MD section! It's a privilege being part of the HoF with Mind Scape--I was thinking "what would Robin do?" when I was designing that industrial area. :thumbsup: 

Geoff (calibanX): Thanks--I'm glad you enjoyed the construction, and it looks like the season's about to get back into full swing again!

Adam (Ennedi): Thank you for the (all too) kind words, my friend, and for the congratulations--it's really great to be part of the HoF with Shosaloza, too, which has been a big influence on my efforts here. :)  Fortunately, I think I'm going to keep going here with Tarkusian Cities . . . it may get to be a bit slow at times, but I enjoy doing it!  And yes, I do take that as a good prediction. :D

Daniel (Shadow Assassin): Thanks for the congratulations, mate, and I'm glad you enjoyed the developments of the last update!  It's really a privilege to be able to share the HoF with Whitefall, too--your mapping efforts were an especially huge influence on things here. :)

Vincenzo (vinlabsc3k): Thanks for the kind words, and to answer your question, that was smoncrie's mod, which he released a public Alpha of.  As Joel pointed out, you can pick it up here.  It's incomplete at the moment and just covers the Orthogonals and some overpasses, and smoncrie has (unfortunately) been MIA since November.

Arthur (art128): Yes, that's precisely it, though the Alpha is public for this one (mainly as it doesn't involve any RUL modifications). :)  That particular mod's future is in limbo at the moment with smoncrie being gone, but that idea of remodeling those pieces has been kicking around for years now.  One of these days. :D

Joan (Jmouse): Thank you so much for the kind words and for all your support of my MDing efforts here since the very beginning--my most heartfelt appreciation to you for that.  I'm very happy to hear you like what's happening with Chemeketa, and I have a feeling you'll be seeing much more of it. :) 

Joel (joelyboy911): Thanks for the congratulations--it's still kinda weird being here in the HoF!  And you can be certain there will be more roads. :D

Vivien (Earth quake): Thanks for congratulating me, and thank you for "rolling the odometer" on Tarkusian Cities with the first "000" post!  You'll be getting "on the map" in a big way here soon. :)

Jason (Albus of Garaway): Thanks for the congrats--I'm still in shock . . . two milestones so close together. :o

Corey (Nexis4Jersey): Thanks--glad you enjoyed it and hope this one is similarly enjoyable!

Haljackey: Thanks for the kind words, my friend!  And you'll finally get to see that update now. :D  Also, congrats to you on finishing a great run with The Greater Terran Region as well.  It will be missed by many, I'm sure--including myself, as it was one of my favorite spots to stop by in the MD section. :)

Vincenzo (vinlabsc3k) and Arthur (art128): Glad you found it--hope you've been enjoying it. :)

Nego: Thanks for the congratulations! :)  My apologies for the delay on the answer, but as Zack (woodb3kmaster--thanks, Zack!) pointed out, those are indeed from the SFBT Construction Set by Deejay, which you can pick up here.  It's been serving me well for 3 years now. :thumbsup:

MattyFo: Actually, that's the SFBT set--however, I've been toying around with the idea of doing some custom construction lots and props and that kind of stuff for awhile now.  Main reason I haven't yet is time, but one of these days . . .

Now, for what you've all been waiting for . . . more Tarkusian Cities.  We'll be sticking around Chemeketa, where Public Works is going to be widening 16th Avenue NE.  Bringing the map back over . . .

[align=center]Ashcroft Street NE and 5th Avenue NE Widening[/align]

16th Avenue NE is a major east-west arterial, which provides a convenient connection the north end of downtown up with the West Oregon Freeway, Highway 9, and the eastern suburbs.  However, as a 2-lane road, it does not have nearly enough capacity to handle this important function.  This particular phase of the project will widen 16th from Division Street (Highway 219) to McCabe Street NE.  The new roadway will feature 4 travel lanes, 2 in each direction.

This is along 16th, just west of the Ashcroft Street intersection, facing east.  Construction has already begun.

This is at the 16th/Ashcroft Street intersection, facing east, with the former site of Circuit City on the right side.

Parts of the new wider roadway, facing east.

This is farther east on 16th, between Ashcroft and McCabe, facing east:

The new wider roadway has been opened up west of Ashcroft near the Del Taco, facing east.  The widening has increased the value of commercial real estate in the area, and that construction site on the north side of 16th is especially prime right now.

Here is the improved 16th and Ashcroft intersection, after widening, facing east:

A grocery store has now filled in that vacant commercial land on 16th, facing east:

The current west end of the widened section of 16th, just east of the intersection with Progress Street NE, facing east.  The businesses and residences between here and Division Street are not particularly keen on giving up property for the widening . . .

Next time, we'll see what the City of Chemeketa plans to do with this last segment of the project. 

-Alex

canyonjumper

Great update Alex! Great to see you back updating! As usual, excellent use of the construction lots and SAM!

Your friend,
                                Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

ecoba

Welcome back, Alex.  :)

I'm sure that many of us are excited to have your wonderful work back, but the wait was definitely worth it, and all the hard work that you devote to the NAM definitely excuses you for not updating so often.

This widening was a very interesting project to read over, yet it definitely did not lack your impeccable 'roadgeek' style. I like the way that you also showed us the differences in property values before and after the widening; certainly an interesting touch that hasn't been seen before. The final product also looks wonderful.

Ethan  :)

rooker1

Welcome back Alex. 
Your MD was greatly missed......uh and so were you.  :D
It's funny that you say you thinking about how I would prepare my industrial areas while you were making your own.  I find myself doing just the same thing.  There are so many great MDs here that it's hard to not think about all the other great ideas that other's have had, while preparing your own cities.
I have always found it interesting how you expand your networks.  It's a point I usually just skip over while I am showing pictures in my own MD.  Sometimes, though, it's not just the ending pictures that so many of us enjoy, it's the journey as well and this is where your MD excels!

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Haljackey

It's always great to see a classic MD return. Looks like you're always widening something every update... it's a never-ending process.  :P

RickD

QuoteSo, I've decided to go back to basics--good, old-fashioned, Tarkusian construction fun--and "wing it" after that, perhaps hinting at things to come very subtly . .

I for one am totally happy with this decision.  :thumbsup: I must admit you had me worried during the long inactivity.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

j-dub

Just a little observation, how come not all of your traffic lights are showing up?

Example:

They appear on the one end of the T but not the other.
This isn't because your in the process of replacing them is it?

citybuilderx

Awesome work Tarkus! Good to see the return of the Tarkusian Cities!
Aim for the stars and you might make the moon,
aim for the moon and you might not get there.

EDGE4194

alex- nice to see you back here again. I always enjoy seeing your latest construction projects and look forward to see what's next.

Ryan B.

To answer J-Dub's question:

It could be because of Alex's detail settings.

Then again, it could be due to the JPEG compression.

Just my two cents . . . great job, Alex!

It's great to see my old ATL plugin still kicking around . . . . it's a bit nostalgic, since its days of effectiveness are numbered.