• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

[REL] SCAG - Airport Road Improvement Project (ARIP)

Started by ShadeSlayer, February 20, 2010, 11:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadeSlayer

Welcome to the official thread for the SCAG Airport Road Improvement Project! This project is meant to transform the very basic airport roads road we have now, in to a fully modular airport road system that allows a variety of solutions.

I originally thought of doing something like this when visiting YVR, an airport that I get to see at least 8 times per year. Click here to see the roads at YVR.

This project will eventually end up including all of the textures in the image below on Aprons, Ramps, and the 747 Ramps. Also, all of the applicable textures have LHD capability for those of you who drive on the left. While that is so, this project is purely eye candy, and doesn't do anything to your airports except make them look awesome.

A few notes about this image:

1. The bottom row of images are the left-hand drive textures; and
2. These aren't all of the textures I plan on adding. Please note the list below.

Textures Planned for this Project:
*green indicates completed, red indicates not yet started

• Straight Piece
  • Straight Piece, w/Straight Yellow Line
  • Straight Piece, w/Orthogonal Yellow Line
  • Straight Piece, w/Regular Hold-back Point, Left, Dashed
  • Straight Piece, w/Regular Hold-back Point, Right, Dashed
  • Straight Piece, w/747 Hold-back Point, Left, Dashed
  • Straight Piece, w/747 Hold-back Point, Right, Dashed
  • Straight Piece, Dashed (one side)
  • Straight Piece, Dashed (both sides)
  • Straight Piece, End, Dashed w/Regular Hold-Back Point
  • Straight Piece, Left Turn
  • Straight Piece, Right Turn
  • Straight Piece, 4-Way Stop RHD
  • Straight Piece, 4-Way Stop LHD
  • Straight Piece, 3-Way Stop RHD
  • Straight Piece, 3-Way Stop LHD
  • Orthogonal Piece, Straight
  • Orthogonal Piece, Filler
  • Orthogonal Piece, Straight w/Ortho Yellow Line A
  • Orthogonal Piece, Straight w/Ortho Yellow Line B
  • Orthogonal Piece, Straight w/Straight Yellow Line
  • Orthogonal Piece, Straight w/Ortho Regular Hold-Back Point
  • Orthogonal Piece, 90 Degree Turn
  • Orthogonal Piece, 4-Way Stop RHD
  • Orthogonal Piece, 4-Way Stop LHD
  • Orthogonal Piece, 3-Way Stop RHD
  • Orthogonal Piece, 3-Way Stop LHD
  • Straight -> Orthogonal Transition Piece, Left
  • Straight -> Orthogonal Transition Piece, Right
  • Straight Piece, End, Dashed
  • Straight Piece, End, w/Regular Hold-Back Point
  • Straight Piece, w/737 Hold-back Point, Left, Dashed
  • Straight Piece, w/737 Hold-back Point, Right, Dashed

That's 33 textures in total that are planned. I can make more, so draw a quick sketch of any ideas you have and I'll see what I can do about including it in the project. As there are endless possibilities, I have to limit myself, and I don't think that making this project have over 40 textures would be very good (they're only roads, anyhow). So first come first serve on requests.

Thanks!

Kumba

Looks real awesome, this has been a HUGE gap in airport planning for so long.

When you lot them, will you include vechiles on them?
______ F L Y  S C A G J E T S ______
The Most Reliable, Helpful, Diverse SimCity Aerospace Group LOTs BATs and MODs

joelyboy911

We could transit enable... or we could make a SAM texture set.

However, for a SAM (or TE) set to work, we need to change the corners, and diagonals. As they don't match how the street layout works at the moment.

Otherwise, adding airport vehicles in the lot sounds like a good idea.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

ShadeSlayer

Yeah, adding some vehicles is a good idea, but it won't be on every lot. The only ones that would have the option are the basic pieces to reduce the amount of lots with the pack.

But to answer your question: Yes, there will be vehicles, but no, not on all of the lots.

Also, I'm looking in to some MML stuff to reduce the amount of lots in your menus.

CasperVg

Actually, what you could do is place the cars in a prop family and add a few blank models to that family as well - that way, cars will be on every lot, but won't always appear.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

ShadeSlayer

@caspervg: That's the plan.

Also, I just finished adding some more textures, so here is every single one. There are 40 in total.

There are two straight ones in the bottom left with nothing on them. Eventually they'll have white lines on either side to work with the 737 vehicle holding points (which are a little offset, so I need to do a bunch of testing to make it perfect).

Gilikov1994

Woow, another great project comming on the SCAG!!
keep it up ShadeSlayer !! &apls
Check out my LOT thread, and also the EBLTeam!

==> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10509.msg318190#new <==

WC_EEND

That's a great idea, especially since this has been missing from most airport lot sets
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

ShadeSlayer

@Gilikov1994, @WC_EEND: Thanks!

Here's a small update to showcase progress since the last image was posted:

As you can see here, I have now exported all 40 textures in to their own .png images.

I needed to write a readme at some point, so I did.

Right now I am waiting on my personal IID so I can create textures. Once I get that, I'll make the images in to textures, put them in one of my airports and post pictures in the "Show us your airport" threads on here and ST so people will say "omg! where did you get those??!?!?!" After a week or so of full on suspense has passed I'll throw the .dat, readme, and the fancy little logo you see above in to an executable (and a zip for you Mac folks), and submit it for LEX Candidacy.

hconline

I don't suppose this could be made into a puzzle piece system like the NAM pieces... :( Probably not.

Why don't you include a DAMN file too?

Life is like a butterfly, ephemeral, yet beautiful beyond belief. -Me

ShadeSlayer

By puzzle piece system, do you mean the whole "press TAB for the next option"? If so, then I don't know how to do that. If you could guide me in the right direction, then I'll see what I can do.

I'll take a look at incorporating DAMN into this.

Thanks.

KoV Liberty

The NAM tab option may only be availiable for transit networks. Plus, it may not work with lots, textures on lots, props on lots, etc since the NAM downloads are not lots. They are transit networks.

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

ShadeSlayer

Alright, so I'm going to start this post off with a story:

Today, I was plotting in my laboratory, thinking about how I could add to the awesome of this project, but then it hit me -- this project couldn't get any more awesome unless I could somehow, magically reduce the size of the texture pack. This made me think about how I was going to hack in to the SC4 code and make things work differently so as to work with my textures, but I thought, "There must be an easier way!"

And then I remembered the "Mirror" option, and the "Multiple Overlay Textures on a tile" option.

So, I ended up adding 8 more textures from the 42 we had already making it 50, and then I took out the dashed roads (because I've never actually seen them in an airport, I just thought it would be an interesting concept), and finally, I got rid of the redundant textures that could be recreated with the Mirror function.

Now the texture count is down to 30, but the lot pack will magically have MORE!

So to recap:

Started with 42 textures - super cool!
Made it 50 - holy dyna! This project is growing
And dropped the count down to 30 - but how!? The project is going to be the exact same with nearly half the textures!!oneone!11

OH! And I've been looking up on DAMN. It seems very possible.
OH! And I've kinda sorta been looking up on MML. It's almost 100% likely.
OH! And I don't think this NAM puzzle piece thing will work out. :(
OH! All of the contents of this project (all 3 lot releases, and any menu management thereonafter) will be done and released by the time I take my 1 week snowboarding trip followed by my 2 week Europe trip, so this should all be released by 05 MAR 10.

That is all.

pilotdaryl

Glad to see you're taking this idea of mine over!  I actually had a few draft lots & textures from long ago (though they are much too low in quality and actual arrangement to be used here); in fact I like your textures... there's way too many to even count! :o
I have a feeling there should be at least some smoother curves though (i.e. 2x2 90 degree curves) since most airport vehicles are long and often chained together (i.e. baggage carts) which makes it hard to turn.

How your basing these on tarmac roads in YVR seems especially interesting too :P

ShadeSlayer

I have an unfortunate announcement:

Due to a lot of things popping up recently, I'm going to be unable to release this before I head out to Europe and whatnot. I'm going to be back on the 27th of March, so after taking account for resting and the like, that will be more like April 1.

I have a long weekend the week I'm back, so I'll probably be able to get the textures out then.

nekseb

Hi ShadeSlayer!
I've seen your project first time after I made my own textures and lots for my airport. Here are some pictures about them - may it is a inspiration for you.

nekseb
I don't need to know everything, I only need to know someone who knows!

letum aut libertas

Gilikov1994

Check out my LOT thread, and also the EBLTeam!

==> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10509.msg318190#new <==

Koekie01

Woooooh, that's looking good! Like a lot of people, I have the question: Do you have a date in your mind when this will be released?  ::)

Cheers,

Tim / Koekie01

ShadeSlayer

The release date of this is entirely based on the release date of the "AR" project, because it has now changed where they are doing the straight pieces and I will be doing the diagonal + other miscellaneous stuff pack.

Koekie01

Okay, so this project and the AC-project are compatible?

Koekie