• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: El-Rail over Avenue

Started by memo, March 08, 2013, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Either way you go, I be happy as this is a continuation of raised EL, which I really like using.
I'll be following this very closely.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Diggis

Quote from: rooker1 on March 11, 2013, 07:00:04 AM
Either way you go, I be happy as this is a continuation of raised EL, which I really like using.

Robin

Raised EL...?  ::)

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

mike3775

I voted for Avenue, but wouldn't mind if it road version

JoeST

Quote from: Diggis on March 11, 2013, 07:19:49 AM

Robin

He must be high :P
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

rooker1

Not high, just very excited about this project.
Call me Robin, please.

RickD

How long will the vote be open? It is a tough decision and I need to think about it some more.  :satisfied:
Never mind, I just realized the answer is given under the poll.  ::)

But no matter how the vote turns out, I am very excited by this new project. It is something I have been dreaming about since a long time.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

gn_leugim

both would be good. but I think I go for the Rd-4.

the way the ave is done is somehow quite dangerous, having the pylons so near to the central line, which is usually where people go faster.

On the other hand, on Rd4, you have those huge and thick pylons "arching" and hovering just to support a fraction of the real width, and it feels a bit heavy to look at. Maybe some wider tracks (due to some aesthetic components) could make it more pleasant to look at.

memo

Quote from: gn_leugim on March 11, 2013, 02:31:04 PM
the way the ave is done is somehow quite dangerous, having the pylons so near to the central line, which is usually where people go faster.

For the avenue, I am considering to replace the supports by a "mono pillar" which will leave more space between the pylon and the inner lane. ;)

On the other hand, on Rd4, you have those huge and thick pylons "arching" and hovering just to support a fraction of the real width, and it feels a bit heavy to look at. Maybe some wider tracks (due to some aesthetic components) could make it more pleasant to look at.

The tracks have to be kept, in order to be able to re-use existing models and to be consistent with the rest of El-Rail. Though, I have to admit that the tracks in Robin's picture look wider.

There will however be a piece without supports which makes the look less heavy, perhaps. Moreover, I plan to add the supports as props, so that they can be easily replaced by alternatives.

Quote from: noahclem on March 11, 2013, 04:17:59 AM
I'm not sure where the best place for the supports would be. Robin's Chicago pic has a good look but it's a real hassle for driving. Maybe put the supports between the parking/shoulder and the traffic lanes?

I agree with that. The supports are definitely not going to be placed between the traffic lanes like on Robin's picture, but I am not sure where to place them either. On the sidewalk or on the "bike/parking lane". This greatly depends on the props on the street side which I haven't planned much yet.

Vlasky

I'd go with option 1. I would like to see it with no pavers in betweeen, and wouldn't mess around too much with supporting pillars to make it consistent with the rest of el rail over road.

However, if you'd like to go with something more realistic, I'd like to offer my support in modelling those. Personally, I'd like to see something like this in game and would lean toward that kind of solution:  http://bit.ly/13Q6HIx
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

Andreas

Robin

What? We do have high el-rail puzzle pieces, you know...? :D
Andreas

RickD

After a quick trip to Chicago* I decided for the RD-4 version. I like the dense look of it.

*in streetview  :P
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

gn_leugim

both ideas will surely make it look better ;)

Diggis

Quote from: Andreas on March 11, 2013, 04:05:54 PM

Robin

What? We do have high el-rail puzzle pieces, you know...? :D

We do...  &ops I really need to look past the SAM some time. It's all I ever use from NAM.

TJ1

On the el rail over regular avenue it would be better to have an option of 4 tracks instead of just 2. 2 tracks on the left side of the avenue and 2 tracks on the right side of the avenue. It would be easy for transitions as well don't you think.??

MandelSoft

^^ I would call that overkill, and besides, how is that going to make tranistions easier? I can only imagine it makes things harder..
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

memo

Quote from: TJ1 on March 15, 2013, 11:22:05 AM
On the el rail over regular avenue it would be better to have an option of 4 tracks instead of just 2. 2 tracks on the left side of the avenue and 2 tracks on the right side of the avenue. It would be easy for transitions as well don't you think.??

I have actually considered something similar as well:

It would probably have been easier to implement this because the existing models could have been re-used without many modifications. However, this idea was rejected already some time ago, as it doesn't look quite pleasing nor realistic. A symmetrical approach definitely has some pros that are not negligible.

The voting is closed now. Thanks, everyone, for the great participation. It helps making my decision a lot. I am sure it was worth it as you might eventually get both options. No promises though, as I haven't even started to implement anything, but prototypes.

Meanwhile, since usual sidewalks are not possible on these, I have been experimenting with sidewalk-props that are added as T21. I am very pleased with the outcome.

metarvo

So, AVE-4 it is.  :)  The second one will be fine, as long as the pylons don't jut out into the traffic lanes.  If you ended up choosing that first one, though, you would have people trying to make an ELR-over-OWR or something like that.  $%Grinno$%  Not to mention that it would be near unworkable for diagonals unless it was essentially an ELR-over-OWR coupled with a normal OWR in a dual setup of some sort.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

z

Quote from: metarvo on March 15, 2013, 07:27:49 PM
The second one will be fine, as long as the pylons don't jut out into the traffic lanes.

Well, in RL they often do a little bit, about as much as is shown in the picture above.

As for the narrow sidewalks, RTMT has had to work with worse than that.  I think we can get full standard stations in there, with just a little overhang for some of the bus shelters.

memo

Metarvo, indeed, if there was something like El-Rail-over-OWR, you could replicate that layout, which is why El-Rail-over-Ave should look different than that. ;)

Quote from: z on March 15, 2013, 11:08:52 PM
As for the narrow sidewalks, RTMT has had to work with worse than that.  I think we can get full standard stations in there, with just a little overhang for some of the bus shelters.

Could you please explain this to me. I don't recognize the connection between the sidewalks and RTMT, currently. $%Grinno$%