• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Colossus AddOn Mod is quarantined by Norton

Started by Publius, October 15, 2018, 06:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publius

Is there a reason that the CAM is quarantined by my Norton software? Under quarantine, I can't install it.

mgb204

Yeah, simply that Norton is assuming there is a virus, rather than bothering to actually do a check on the file in question. This is sadly far too commonplace for anything that isn't mainstream, especially when there's an installer. Theoretically running an installer could lead to problems, but that applies to the installer for Norton, just as much as for CAM. The reality is that there is no actual virus (I can say with confidence, since it's been safely used for years by many), so you have a false positive on your hands. Just tell Norton to allow using the file and you'll be fine.

Feeling paranoid? Goto VirusTotal, an online site where you can upload or paste links for files, it will run the file through many scanners and report back:

I think those are pretty conclusive. If I sound negative about Norton, it's because lazy security software that doesn't even run a heuristic scan on files, but simply assumes problems, are a curse to small community software/files. This is done, because users feel "protected" when it looks like Norton is actually doing something. "Ooh, thanks Norton, you've just stopped something nasty". In reality, it's no more than the digital equivalent of a burglar alarm going off, for no other reason than to assure you it works. If something is built in such a manner, it makes me wonder, would it actually be able to find a virus, when a real threat exists. The answer to that is, every machine I've ever had to remove viruses/malware from, had anti-virus software. That's because, if you are making such nasties, the first thing you do is find a way to get past the most popular anti-virus software packages.

scott1964

I get that sometime when I am downloading stuff. I figured out a way around, is to temporarily disable auto protect for 15 or 60 minutes.