• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cracking DATs - Can it be done?

Started by Ajax, February 04, 2007, 08:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajax

This is something that has bugged me for quite some time.  There are many lots that I use that I would like to modify in LE, but are trapped in DAT files.  I can open the lot and make changes, but LE doesn't let me save the changes (unable to "save as" a new file).  If I click on save, it just creates a duplicate file with all the original properties of the lot I'm trying to change.  I've done some searching over in the ST forums, but did not find an answer.

Also, now that I think of it, there are lots in some DAT files that I would prefer to delete to reduce some of the clutter in the game menus.  Can I crack open the DAT, delete the unwanted lots, and then re-pack it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Colyn

The only ones you cannot SAVE AS are the ones that are part of the Reward Chains.

As deleting the lots in the DAT ... you that with the iLive Reader.
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

Ajax

Colyn,

Thanks for the quick response  :thumbsup:, but one example of lots that I would like to modify are PEGs CDK-IND that are not part of a reward chain, to my knowledge, and am unable to SAVE AS.  Thanks for the additional info regarding deleting lots.

Colyn

Hmmm ... that is funny ... I have TWISTED quite a few of PEG's stuff and have never had a problem. I have recently TWISTED his latest CDK3 lots without a problem but then again with some of his lots you do have to open a bigger toolbox ;)
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

Ajax

I'm not sure what you mean by "a bigger toolbox".  I'll have to try editing some of PEGs other lots, or maybe some by a different author to see if I have the same problem.