• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

This viaduct puzzles and frustrates me . . .

Started by Pythias900KMB, February 23, 2019, 11:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pythias900KMB

Many salutations, SimCity 4 Devotion!!!  I hope that you are all doing fantastic out there.  I myself am coming off of a 56-day deferral from selling my blood plasma on 26 @ December 2018 because the needle fell out of my arm to where I could not get my red blood cells back.  I spent all of January 2019 and most of February 2019 not able to sell a drop of blood plasma for cash which really set me back by no small margin.  Anyway, LSS, I am really excited for next week.

I offer up an RHW junction I have been working on.  The first screenshot is an overview of the interchange looking from the north; while it is quite impressive, there are a couple aspects of it where I need help -- on the eastern approach and on the western approach of the east-west 3rd elevation level viaduct.  I have appended two more screenshots to make the problem easier to see.  I have placed L3 RHW 6S starters where those two left-turn ramps cross each other along with on the inside and outside; while that made it clear to the NAM how I wanted that overridden, it also gave me super fits in being a contiguous carriageway.  What you see now is when I removed the starters only to end up with the recalcitrance you see here.  Help, please!

Seaman

I'm not sure, wether I fully understand the problem here. But I would just place the starters, as you did, and don't remove them Just leave them where they are. I believe, this is what you did already with the southern(?) approach.

Looks cool, by the way.

Pythias900KMB

Quote from: Seaman on February 24, 2019, 05:54:30 AM
I'm not sure, wether I fully understand the problem here. But I would just place the starters, as you did, and don't remove them Just leave them where they are. I believe, this is what you did already with the southern(?) approach.

Looks cool, by the way.

Gratitude for the favorable appraisal, Seaman.  When I first replaced the Maxis Highway with RHW in Nephelite Nightingale, it was very difficult to construct a proper interchange because of the high-speed rail line across the northern approach and the rail line across the eastern approach.  I also was not confident about the Modular Interchange System components.  I remember at that time that the FlexFly curves had given me super fits as if they knew better than I did how to properly construct the interchange.  I have gotten quite angry about that recalcitrance and it has not always come across well to you guys when mentioned on here.  Right now, I am living an angsty sob story because of this.

In any case, it looks like I have some editing to do -- after I go get dinner started.

Pythias900KMB

Ugh, that pork roast did not turn out the way I hoped and I could have done better on the macaroni and cheese . . . in any case, I went back and interjected the L3 RHW-6S starters to stabilize the section of viaduct over the junction of those two left-turn ramps.  Behold the screen captures!  Okay, see where the two left-turn ramps cross in the median?  On either side of that, I put an L3 RHW-6S starter.  Ditto for three tiles upstream and downstream of the troublesome viaduct segment.  This seems to have helped; still, we cannot close those gaps.

Seaman

Well, it seems that the stability of the override is a little bit wonky, but it's totally doable.

I would place the starters here (yellow circles).

It might need the use of the RHW-disconnector to clear a tile adjacent to the circles in order to place the starter. After that, I would drag through all branches again. Also, and I am sure you noticed this already, some of the setups need some clicking around on the interchange with the RHW-2 tool. In some extreme cases, it might need several clicks in a specific pattern. When clicking around try to remember where to click to commence which override. And the it's a game of pacience to find the correct order. But I doubt that in this case it is overly complicated...

Keep it up  :)

EDIT:
I just realized, that you already placed the starters in the yellow circles. Sorry, my bad. Then it's just clicking around to get the override done. In case nothing helps, my gut feeling would tell me to try out, wether you can replace the L3 RHW-6S to L2 as this might be more stable? But I have no actual evidence for that.