• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SUM problems part2

Started by GMT, December 23, 2010, 04:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMT

yes.
As I already asked on the ST, seemingly without notice, I think it won't hurt to ask here aswell.

My problem is, unlike the 2 yrs old topic below where the profiles are randomly deleted, SUM started, all of a sudden from one perfect session to the next, to always delete the profiles upon startup.
No matter what i tried, it didn't solve the problem.
So, I made it even worse than before by trying to fix it with a complete reinstall of the SUM.
Now, SUM starts, let's me create profiles which don't delete themselves, but instead of loading the game with the intended plugins selected, SUM initiates both the installation directory plugins and the my documents plugins entirely, no matter which plugins are actually selected.

Any ideas how to solve this?  &ops

... really, it is. I swear.

GMT

I know I'm doubleposting, but now even after (being forced to) reinstalling both the game and Startup Manager, the problem still continues. I wonder if someone comes up with a solution to this...

Andreas

If the SUM v2 doesn't work for you, maybe try v3 instead? Other than that, I can only suggest to make regular backups of your SC4 folder. The SUM profiles are stored in various (hidden) INI and CFG files.
Andreas

GMT

I changed the title accordingly, didn't noticed how misleading it was.

I am actually using SUM V3 (my v2 was aiming at the 2nd run of strange problems)

Anyways, I create backups every time I change something, as a result of my previous problems with the SUM, when settings got randomly lost. But like I stated above, for whatever miraculous reason this happens every time and neither changing sum server rules, nor reinstalling SUM, nor a complete reinstallation of both on a vanilla PC (vanilla as in I was forced to do a factory reset) did bring any cure to the itch.
Well, not quite. To my surprise, the very first start of the game via SUM did work properly, but afterwards it started all over again, like stated in my initial post.
you know, after having to reset my pc to an out of the box status for verious reasons, I thought something like "hey ok, you screwed up, now it'll all work again"
But now, realizing that even on a basically blank system these problems occur, I really wonder why.

Could it be that, as these problems started out of the blue a couple weeks ago and seem to be perennial even under stated circumstances, that they are somewhat related to recent updates of vista (64bit) or any of the other system components SUM has to use to service?

Andreas

The SUM v3 is using a custom Windows service for "hiding" the files, so I would assume it's not totally out of the question that a recent Windows update might affect the proper functionality. It's been too long since I played the game (let alone using the SUM), so I can't tell if there's some general problem with Windows. I do remember that my region profile got deleted once or twice out of the blue, too, but that's been a few years ago already, and I assumed it was simply a hiccup of my computer (which also caused some random game freezes every now and then).
Andreas

GMT

the sumnjserver does fail upon initiation so it goes on with the files moving server which claims to succeed but does't do it's service in terms of plugin management

is there som sort of a log I can provide to maybe finding a solution?

Andreas

The help file describes some alternative ways to get your files organized; basically, SUM v3 will use the v2 techniques to achieve the same functionality.
Andreas

GMT

I didn't find anything with v2 techniques in the help file, afaik.
Or are you talking about changing the server priority?

Andreas

I'm talking about the "troubleshooting" (Problembehandlung) section, which suggest certain command line parameters and other stuff. Sorry that I can't provide any better help, maybe you should try to send JeanLucPicard2 an e-mail about the problem.
Andreas