• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: fifteenrocket on January 09, 2013, 09:38:04 PM
Will the Draggable FAR pieces have the ability to intergrate to the SAM and The single railroad mod? Will it also have the capability to work with the NWM and the RHW? IM just as curious to know what will happen with the great work you guys do.

I had already answered two of those questions a page ago: No for Street (that also means SAM) and RHW. The reason is Autoconnect, and a lot of experimentation still needs to see if it can be safe to even port the code over for both networks.

RAM and NWM is quite possible, but there aren't any plans for either. Either way, there aren't any concrete plans for all of them yet.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jdenm8

Adding SAM support should be as simple as adding textures for the networks and writing code to override the base Street intersection. It's perfectly possible, but whether it'll be done by release is uncertain. The same goes for STR, although I think that textures for the STR intersections have already been made, which would increase the chances of their inclusion.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

ivo_su

Impressive video of Maarten and I mean great return memo. He definitely came in with a bang and fired NAM to new heights. Thanks to him we have a very simple method for creating FAR textures. I wonder whether there will be NAM 31 full FANWM or will be delayed for expansive NWM 3.0(NAM32)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: ivo_su on January 10, 2013, 02:59:11 AM
I wonder whether there will be NAM 31 full FANWM or will be delayed for expansive NWM 3.0(NAM32)

I'll only give you this:

Quote from: Tarkus on January 09, 2013, 03:45:44 PM
The new version is based entirely from INRULs and RUL2 overrides.  Rather than being a puzzle piece that is placed through draggable means, it's a full-on draggable network item.  That also means it's overrideable.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

ivo_su

Does that mean that now compiling these pieces will be twice as easy? However, Rule-2 was considered a blight on the team and only Alex, Vince and memo could work with him. Now with INRULs this process should be available to the team and FANWM compilation of songs is much easier and attainable. And the question is surely not whether but when it will happen.

jdenm8

I don't believe that RUL2 is a blight. It's a hard concept to wrap your head around, but it's proven incredibly useful so far.

As for FANWM, while the base overrides that we would override are largely in place, FANWM is not on the roadmap for NAM31. It's possible that it may be included in NAM32 or NAM33 however.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

metarvo

So, according to what I saw in the video, there will be draggable FAR intersections.  On top of that, it looks like the intersections can be dragged across any tile of the FAR segment (as opposed to the fixed FAR intersections currently available on the center tiles).  For that matter, there don't seem to be any FAR segments anymore, as the stretch of FAR can now end abruptly.

As far as the Streets go, I've already grown accustomed to using Roads when I feel the need for FAR segments, so it's not that big of a deal for now.  For the RHW, I'm more than willing to continue using the FARHW puzzle pieces that are currently available if they remain available.

Good work, NAM Team!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

memo

Quote from: metarvo on January 10, 2013, 05:20:34 PM
So, according to what I saw in the video, there will be draggable FAR intersections.  On top of that, it looks like the intersections can be dragged across any tile of the FAR segment (as opposed to the fixed FAR intersections currently available on the center tiles).

This is true. At least for intersections with orthogonal roads or streets. For the time being, there will be only one FAR-3 x FAR-3 intersection, which has the same footprint as its puzzle piece counterpart.

For that matter, there don't seem to be any FAR segments anymore, as the stretch of FAR can now end abruptly.

Note sure, if I got exactly what you mean. You still need to think of the underlying 2x3 segments (or for FAR-2 it would be 2x2), for instance the FAR-3 short curve can only be built on one out of three tiles (two respectively). It is however indeed possible, to end FAR in a blended T-intersection on any tile.

Paul 999

What a great innovation guy's! The new NAM will be spectacular.

Keep up the work  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

On top of that, it looks like the intersections can be dragged across any tile of the FAR segment (as opposed to the fixed FAR intersections currently available on the center tiles).

Orthogonal sections, yes. Other FAR intersections, no. They're basically limited to the existing puzzle piece, like Markus said, so you still need to "calculate" where to let two FARs intersect. Complete freedom isn't there yet - you'll still need to use the footprint sheet as reference in the beginning to learn its usage.

If I'm right, however, there is ample room for future expansion on that front to eleminate or at least severely reduce that kind of thing.

Cheers
Willy

kassarc16

If anyone can refresh my memory on draggable viaducts, that would be awesome. ;)

RickD

I had to watch the video twice because I could not believe what I saw.  &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls
And now I am going to watch it a third time.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Acid Rain

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on January 09, 2013, 01:35:18 PM
I "lied". They're also draggable. (Note that I never said puzzle piece, and also take note the choice of words I used.)

Trickster! Scoundrel! No, that is actually pretty funny. Of course, from here on out we're all going to read into your posts far deeper than you ever intended.

Quote from: Tarkus on January 09, 2013, 03:45:44 PM
The new version is based entirely from INRULs and RUL2 overrides.  Rather than being a puzzle piece that is placed through draggable means, it's a full-on draggable network item.  That also means it's overrideable.

-Alex

Overrideable? I'm... I think I'm humping the air. That sounds a lot like FANWM.

You guys are ridiculous, and I mean that in the best way possible. The hard work, dedication, but most of all, the ingenuity. Great googley moogley.
"Why sonny, I 'members the days when a cloverleaf was the size of a actual cloverleaf! Gat-dern'd Maxis Highways... I remembers when the SAM and RAM, all them '-AM's--heck, even the CAM--they was just misspelled NAMs! When the RHW was rural! When it was too hard fer them engineers to design just ONE heavy railway instead o' two adjacent! I WAS THERE WHEN BEACH UMBRELLAS ATE YER DAMN DRIVEWAY, AND THAT'S IF YA WERE LUCKY! I was there for it all, boy!"

The old man rose and spit, then saluted. "Thank the Mayor for the NAM team!"

solovinodelmal

So did the draggable FAR make it to the NAM 31 release? I can't find anything but puzzle pieces.

kj3400

It did for roads, as far as I know. You have to, er, drag it.
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

Swordmaster

Are you sure you installed the component? It's a separate checkbox that normally is checked by default, but maybe you missed it.

Cheers
Willy

memo

Quote from: solovinodelmal on March 04, 2013, 01:37:47 PM
So did the draggable FAR make it to the NAM 31 release? I can't find anything but puzzle pieces.

You may want to have a look at the Documentation's ContentsFile, Section 11, in order to find out how to use it.

solovinodelmal

Quote from: memo on March 04, 2013, 02:11:06 PM
Quote from: solovinodelmal on March 04, 2013, 01:37:47 PM

You may want to have a look at the Documentation's ContentsFile, Section 11, in order to find out how to use it.

Thanks, I found it, it's really cool, kinda tricky at first but I'm getting there, so technically you could make a 16-sided polygon between orthogonal, diagonal and the new FAR-2 and FAR-3 right? That is awesome!  $%Grinno$%

memo

Quote from: solovinodelmal on March 06, 2013, 06:55:25 AM
...so technically you could make a 16-sided polygon between orthogonal, diagonal and the new FAR-2 and FAR-3 right?...

Actually, you can even make a 24-sided polygon. ;) Here is another picture showing the different angles.

I cannot believe it is already 6 months old.

metarvo

I finally got around to downloading this wonderfully huge file (although I had to do it during the night to compensate for connection speed).  Despite all of the bug reports, I must say I haven't found anything that wrong with it, other than the lack of RHW fillers (the only decrease in functionality I've found so far, but still only a minor one).  You should have heard the gasp I made when I first saw street lights show up on the draggable FAR.  I just about leapt out of my skin!  :shocked2:  One nice bonus about the draggable FAR is the fact that FAR neighbor connections are now draggable as well, no longer requiring my favorite workaround.  I have had to consult the trusty Readme to figure out the draggable FAR curves, but I've caught on to the point that I only have to check back for some of them now.  Additionally, it's so nice to see wealth textures on FAR and WC segments.  I won't have to waste as much space on transparent filler lots now.

Great job NAM Team!  You've earned four thumbs up (and I supposedly only have two)!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.