• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluggi

JayStimson

I could use some geometry help from the NAM folks.
I'm developing some new props for use with sunken highways (an old project recently revived) and I can't seem to get a handle on the geometry specifics for the ortho to diag transition pieces.

I've got the distances to the edge of the highway pretty close so the width of the concrete drainage area covers the ground terrain but I'm not sure about the curvature section. It looks like the ortho section extends a bit (the width of the ortho drainage area) before it begins to arc into the diagonal but I'm not sure how much and I don't know the radius of the arc once the curvature starts.
I would guess the NAM developers have this information and I would really appreciate it if someone could share it. I'd really like to make these pieces fit perfectly.
Also, my best estimate for width drainage areas is 4.7 meters for ortho and 6.627 meters for the diag. Could someone confirm these values or provide the correct ones ? The correct values would give me two points the arc would need to intersect but three points are needed to uniquely define the circle arc or two points and the radius.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Freedom is never free.

MutantPlatypus

So read elsewhere (NWM) there was some trick learned about road capacities.  Does this mean that Overpasses will now have no network effect and the double-layer tile (the part where both networks are crossing) won't have volume and congestion issues anymore?  Was this a known issue?

NOTE:  If the above post is just one sentence about some inconsistency, bug, or broken link, don't be offended.  I'm posting the info because I assumed it was some minor oversight and want to help you fix it, or I want the information to be available to others who are doing a search for the same problem.  Once the issue is resolved, moderators are encouraged to delete my post.

Venom+Eggs+Lactation=Platypus

z

Quote from: MutantPlatypus on August 07, 2010, 07:57:04 PM
So read elsewhere (NWM) there was some trick learned about road capacities.  Does this mean that Overpasses will now have no network effect and the double-layer tile (the part where both networks are crossing) won't have volume and congestion issues anymore?  Was this a known issue?

These are known issues, but unfortunately they're built deep into the game, and the new flexibility with road capacities won't have an on them.

vil

Hello there NAM team, my heroes!  ;)

I have a small wish/suggestion/reminder/contribution/correction to make.

Maxis in their eternal wisdom chose to forget to add night lights to el trains, even though the required textures and models are present in the game. The Nam team then UDI enabled el trains and corrected some minor maxis errors, but did not add the lights.

Since this absence of lights is easily corrected (and because it carries over to trams) I would like to propose to do so in the next NAM release, whenever that may be.

Meanwhile I attach the exemplars from NetworkAddonMod1.dat that have the el train lights enabled (this file also works as a standalone el train light fix if you dont use the NAM, but then why are you reading this thread?).

Alternatively you can download NetworkAddonMod1_vil.dat which you can then simply use to replace NetworkAddonMod1.dat in your NAM folder.

vil

Possible doublepost warning!

::)

The other thing I wanted to mention is this: when you place NAM pieces, previews often get hidden by terrain or buildings. Disabling the "depth test" in the materials setting of the preview modelsĀ“ S3Ds like so:

does this:

I like the effect of that, however I am not sure it will work for everybody, if you want to try it out, I made the changes for the wide radius road curves plugin and the Ground Light Rail Plugin only (files replace those in your NAM/Plugins folder that have the same name) vil NAM Plugins.zip

Try tabbing through the GLR pieces over a city.

Tarkus

vil, thanks for sharing!  The Depth Test thing will prove very useful--certainly more so than raising the model, which has been the practice for awhile now. :thumbsup:  And with your permission, I can incorporate the El-Rail lighting into this upcoming release.

-Alex

vil

darraghf

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but, would it be possible to make a el-railXelevated heavy rail piece. I could do with it :)
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

travismking

this wouldnt be a NAM thing,someone would have to make a TE lot that would allow it, since it would have to convert traffic from el-rail to rail and back again, its probably already existing somewhere on the stex

Ciuu96

Quote from: darraghf on August 30, 2010, 03:25:02 AM
I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but, would it be possible to make a el-railXelevated heavy rail piece. I could do with it :)

It is actually already possible by using el-rail on-slope pieces and just the standard heavy rail viaduct pieces. The same way you can also make GLRxheavy rail connections. Works at least for me. Can't right now remeber how it is specifically done, but you could just try plopping and bulldozing certain sections of the on-slope piece and then plop the heavy rail viaduct piece next to it like it would be just the viaduct.
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

Gamma4815

Quote from: darraghf on August 30, 2010, 03:25:02 AM

Do you mean Elevated Heavy Rail perpendicular to Elevated Rail?

ll
      =   =      Like This?     or did you mean  Like This?  Heavy Elevated Rail => Elevated Rail
         ll

A Perpendicular Puzzle piece would be useful.

Ciuu96

I meant like Heavy Elevated rail => Elevated rail:

===----

=== El Heavy Rail
--- Normal El Rail

I guess i could look into how i did it and post here, when i have more time.

I also have an request or a question:

Would it be possible to make a 90 degrees (and 45 degrees also) flexfly Elevated heavy rail piece for some NAM release. I would find this very useful as it would take much less space to build if some roads are blocking the way for normal turns.

Jayster

I had a thought earlier today, have you guys thought of creating FlexFly for every elevated network? Like instead of having the normal puzzle pieces, you just plop down a straight FlexFly piece to cross rail and other ground netowkrs. These pieces could come in 1x1 and 1x2 maybe. I know there would be a lot of coding and stuff but it would drastically reduce the number of puzzle pieces and thus make it quicker and easier to build elevated networks.

Just an idea.  :thumbsup:

Jayster

darraghf

Quote from: Gamma4815 on August 30, 2010, 05:09:48 PM
Do you mean Elevated Heavy Rail perpendicular to Elevated Rail?

ll
      =   =      Like This?     or did you mean  Like This?  Heavy Elevated Rail => Elevated Rail
         ll

A Perpendicular Puzzle piece would be useful.
ll
      =  =   I mean this instance
        ll
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

Ciuu96

Quote from: darraghf on September 01, 2010, 01:25:20 PM
        ll
      =  =   I mean this instance
        ll

Oh, i misunderstood you, sorry. :)

jdenm8

Quote from: Jayster on September 01, 2010, 12:46:16 PM
I had a thought earlier today, have you guys thought of creating FlexFly for every elevated network? Like instead of having the normal puzzle pieces, you just plop down a straight FlexFly piece to cross rail and other ground netowkrs. These pieces could come in 1x1 and 1x2 maybe. I know there would be a lot of coding and stuff but it would drastically reduce the number of puzzle pieces and thus make it quicker and easier to build elevated networks.

I had this idea a while ago and bought it up in the RHW thread only to be spectacularly shot down and come crashing down in a fireball thanks to a NAM member who shall remain unnamed.
FLEXfly is planned for many of the RHW wide curves, but I'm not aware of any plans to adapt any other pieces (like the wide 45 degree Heavy Rail viaduct) for FLEXfly.
The way it was worded it is that it's either not possible, too much work, or no.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Jayster

Darn, I thought it would make life so much easier. But yah, all the coding would be killer. Oh well.

Tarkus

Actually, at that point, it would probably make more sense just to make the elevated networks draggable, which has been under discussion for probably about 3 years or so, and probably will happen . . . eventually (I swear that's becoming my new "catchphrase" :D).

The main problem with the Rail curves is that they're just so huge.  The 90-degree curve is a 9x9 behemoth.  The number of moving (overrideable) parts that would be required is quite staggering--and would number in the hundreds.

-Alex

Blue Lightning

Somewhere around 11 positions (and 11 mirrors, total of 22 positions - that already overwhelms the IID addressing system that I can use that makes sense), with... lets see:
Road
Avenue 1
Avenue 2
OWR
Street
Rail-2
Rail-1
GLR Urban
GLR Rural
All the RHW networks
All the NWM networks
All the SAM networks
GHSR

There's just too much, a the amount of RUL for that one single piece would be somewhere around 18000 lines, a little less than than 3 times the amount that FLEXFly sits at right now (6904 lines)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project