• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andreharv

Quote from: dedgren on September 08, 2008, 02:07:25 PM
andreharv- One of these would make you the Interchange God for the foreseeable future.

Well I don't think it should be too hard of an interchange to make.  Here's what I have so far.  Will this do?

dedgren

WOOPS!

...sorry, andreharv-  just snot-bombed my monitor with the coffee I was drinking when I saw your post...

My goodness, folks- we got us a gen-yoo-wine prodigy- right here at SC4D.

Those are amazing!

EDITIf I could presume on perfection, I'd extend the onramp merge area an extra two gridsquares or so in length one lane wide, but only if that was feasible and wouldn't hold things up too long.  Again, just wow! -DE

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

z

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking coffee, or there'd be another splat on the screen here.  Those interchanges are beautiful!  So realistic looking, and so needed in this game.  I'd also second dedgren's minor request, again with the same proviso he added.

MandelSoft

You are really a interchange god, andreharv! The Y-interchange looks nice, and as far as I know, this is a common interchange. I used this as a workaround:

Best,
Maarten 
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

andreharv

Quote from: dedgren on September 08, 2008, 11:58:56 PM
WOOPS!

...sorry, andreharv-  just snot-bombed my monitor with the coffee I was drinking when I saw your post...

My goodness, folks- we got us a gen-yoo-wine prodigy- right here at SC4D.

Those are amazing!

EDITIf I could presume on perfection, I'd extend the onramp merge area an extra two gridsquares or so in length one lane wide, but only if that was feasible and wouldn't hold things up too long.  Again, just wow! -DE

David

Well, if you would prefer the onramp to be in line with the offramp, that should be fine.  Not a problem.  My only caveat is that the on/offramps are already two lanes wide.  Would you rather them be 3?  If that be the case, it would make for a fork in the highway rather than two(which would be a very nice touch coming to think of it).  You decide  ;).  I guess I was trying to make the interchange as compact as possible but I would prefer to make it the interchange larger so that I can properly add the provisions that you were speaking of...I think it will make it look better.

dedgren

Never try to make a line drawing with a mouse on the third cup of coffee.

...note to self, buy pen input tablet...

The two lane ramps are great.  There just needs to be an extended merge area located in the oval I've drawn.

Again, great work, andreharv!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Jonathan

WOW :jaw drops: you are amazing andreharv!!! Just...WOW!!!

I haven't seen many Maxis type highways like this in RL so forgive if this is wrong but,

I don't see why the slip lane that doesn't cross over the highway has to up and then down? Just wondering why...

Jonathan

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

andreharv

Quote from: Warrior on September 09, 2008, 11:14:55 AM
WOW :jaw drops: you are amazing andreharv!!! Just...WOW!!!

I haven't seen many Maxis type highways like this in RL so forgive if this is wrong but,

I don't see why the slip lane that doesn't cross over the highway has to up and then down? Just wondering why...

Jonathan

Well to be totally honest with you, I cannot say that such a technique is widely used.  Here is where I got the idea:

This is the entrance to the central artery tunnel in Boston, MA.  I have traversed this onramp many times and it is by far my favorite.  In this picture, the onramp starts at the mouth of a tunnel and travels clockwise until it hits the artery.  The artery itself, is transitioning between the Zakim Bridge and the artery tunnel.  Because of the limited space, you will notice that the onramp must merge before the artery hits level ground.  Once merged, the driver descends into the tunnel with all other drivers from the bridge.  To make a long story short, the sooner/higher I connect the onramp, the less space/tiles the onramp takes up. 

When it's all said and done, though, I will enlarge the interchange (adding more lanes) so there is no need to raise it.  Since I posted that picture, I have lowered the onramp considerably in order to lengthen it.

andreharv

Sorry for the double post.  TMI I guess.  Here are the revised models.  I think these are a lot more realistic.  Good idea Dedren.  And don't be so hard on yourself...Your drawing is marvelous :P.

shadd0w09

thiss is my contribution to NAM its a site that list all the interchanges for you in a top down form
http://xkcd.com/253/

nerdly_dood

@ Andreharv: When/if you release the limited-access Y-split, I will do my best to find a way to use it for a full-access 4-way interchange with the same purpose as a cloverleaf. Great job with the model!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

andreharv

@shadd0w09:  I thought you were for real when you said that you had a contribution.  I looked at that first picture and it said the same exact thing as I was thinking:  Inescapable...I lost it  :D.

@nerdly_dood:  I pondered in my head what such a compilation of partial y interchanges  would look like and it would look something like a ninja star (can't really explain any better than that).  It would be a huge interchange that would span a half a mile (50 tiles) in length and width each (50 tiles).  ;)

nerdly_dood

I don't care. I successfully made a 4-way interchange with the standard Maxis T interchanges, and I'll make one with your trumpets, and I'll figure out a way to make one with your y split. ;)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

kj3400

What about this interchange? Is this possible? It's like a four way stack, but the ramps meet at the top.
http://www.kurumi.com/roads/interchanges/spui.html#stacked_diamond
Or this one? It's a SPUI/ Parclo combo.
http://www.kurumi.com/roads/interchanges/oddities.html

Edit: instead of pictures I put links.
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

pagenotfound

I do believe someone has made a spui model (not sure who), but there is a pathing issue (namely the stop points) ;)
and a 4 way stack has already been made
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

j-dub

Sorry KJ3400, those image links are broken. You have to use a web host like imageshack or something, rather than trying to host from your own hard drive. That may not be so safe as well, if you need to keep your identity secret. As for SPUI's, since I have achieved that with the RHWxOWRxAvenue intersection building, it can be done that way.

MassHelper

Beside the highway talk  :D, let's talk about the other transportation tools, such as, subway and elevated rail....

Is it possible to make multi-track elevated rail lines, like the ones in the NYC Subway system??

Something like this (click on the link!!):
http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigbronx.png

And no, it's not a picture of the tracks, but instead, it's a track map of the Bronx part of the subway system in NYC

;) Mass
SC4 Modders' Assistant and Adviser

j-dub

Oh, the infamous third rail. Why wouldn't this be possible. Thing is, this has been talked about eyons ago, but for this game, IF this is ever taken into consideration, could be a possible RAM team related project()what() Either way, this could still take up two tiles, unless it is possible to path 3 trains conjoined on one tile, but I have been using subs for tunnel/underpass advantages.

redraider147

Quote from: MassHelper on September 22, 2008, 06:40:27 PM
Beside the highway talk  :D, let's talk about the other transportation tools, such as, subway and elevated rail....

Is it possible to make multi-track elevated rail lines, like the ones in the NYC Subway system??

Something like this (click on the link!!):
http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigbronx.png

And no, it's not a picture of the tracks, but instead, it's a track map of the Bronx part of the subway system in NYC

;) Mass

yes and no...the functionality is still debatable. from my testing, to get a true express track, the whole setup would simply have to be eyecandy...that is, v^v^ would be the functionality rather than the vv^^ setup that NYC uses. (i'm not sure if seperate stop points can be implemented in the same station [alex or jonathan want to weigh in here?]) if it is not possible, then there would have to be stations created that simply have overhanging props for the second line...so it looks the way we want, even if it really isn't functioning that way. based on my testing, if the stop points are possible, then it is a very doable mod. it would likely use a side by side override. seems like a lot of extra work to me...