• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

eggman's Misc Modding

Started by eggman121, June 25, 2017, 07:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggman121

Hello everyone.

Apart from working on the mod I also work on some projects that may or may not work.

This topic is designed to showcase some of the Modding I have done and am doing at the moment.

First off... Rural Dashed lines without Puzzle Pieces ;D

So basically this is a mod that allows you to have dashed lines on the road according to the slope it is on using the T21 method.

It took a while to get running and I am all for opinions on this project. I feel it is quite neat in that the slopes can determine weather you have solid or dashed lines.

This project I feel will allow for greater flexibility and there are no complicated patterns or overrides to worry about ;) . Just draw the road and according to the slope you will get the lines that are applicable to the slope.

Unfortunately you can't have semi dashed lines with this method but I believe that this will bring more flexibility into rural scenes.

So... What do others think?

More projects will be showcased here in the future  ;)

-eggman121

Kitsune

can it be made to work with rhw-2 ?
~ NAM Team Member

eggman121

Quote from: Kitsune on June 25, 2017, 07:38:45 PM
can it be made to work with rhw-2 ?

Yep. That is the versatility of the T21s. Since the two networks are similar by geometry it would not be hard to make that work on the RHW 2.

-eggman121

APSMS

Interesting. Alas US highways always have a solid middle line unless it's a passing location (so straightaways and slopes), so I probably wouldn't use it, but I applaud your novel use of T21s.

Hopefully it will be of great use for other users.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Simcoug

super clever!  This would pretty closely mimic rural roads that I'm used to seeing.   &apls

matias93

I literally went in five seconds from "no, that's absolutely impossible in SC4" to "now I need to have that". Simply magical  &apls

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Akallan

Quote from: APSMS on June 25, 2017, 09:02:17 PM
Interesting. Alas US highways always have a solid middle line unless it's a passing location (so straightaways and slopes), so I probably wouldn't use it, but I applaud your novel use of T21s.

Hopefully it will be of great use for other users.

In Europe it is the norm. ;D So the arrival of this mod is magic! You are amazing, and SC4 too, I did not think it was possible... But the yellow traitilles, it is not very beautiful in my opinion, I prefer in white, but it is only a detail with respect to the mod itself.

Good work! &apls
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

Andreas

Pretty neat finding! :) In Germany, the lines would be always dashed unless overtaking is not allowed, which is usually in sharp curves and the top of a hill, where you can't see the oncoming traffic. So with a bit of tinkering (and white lines), it would mimic rural roads nicely alright.
Andreas

eggman121

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone  :)

In Australia it is the norm to have dashed lines on major highways (Australia also uses white line marking) since such vast areas are not covered by 4 lane highways. The majority of highways (Even between cities and rural areas are two lane, that is one lane in each direction of travel).

A European/ White line marking would be easy to fill as well. I may have a look at doing that today.

-eggman121

Kitsune

Quote from: eggman121 on June 26, 2017, 03:32:36 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments everyone  :)

In Australia it is the norm to have dashed lines on major highways (Australia also uses white line marking) since such vast areas are not covered by 4 lane highways. The majority of highways (Even between cities and rural areas are two lane, that is one lane in each direction of travel).

A European/ White line marking would be easy to fill as well. I may have a look at doing that today.

-eggman121

Same in Canada. We also have passing lanes on the rural 2 lane making it 3 lanes .... ie the westbound has a lane added for passing, however the markings on the road allow the eastbound to use it so long as there is no westbound traffic in that middle lane. It can cause your heart to drop when your going westbound in that non-passing lane.
~ NAM Team Member

tigerbuilder

Very cool. I can't wait to see what comes from this thread...I love your work, you are a game changer. Thank you for all you do!

Cheers, tiger

Terring7

So it's now possible to get different textures according to the slope it is on? That's unexpected. I wonder if we can use this technic in other aspects of the game as well, like on railroads, avenues, and even in building's lots.

Quote from: Andreas on June 26, 2017, 02:29:04 PM
In Germany, the lines would be always dashed unless overtaking is not allowed, which is usually in sharp curves and the top of a hill, where you can't see the oncoming traffic.

Same in Greece too. Dashed lines in straight sections, and solid lines in curves and uphill/downhill sections of the road.
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Wiimeiser

So is this dashed line thing an override network or what? It'd be great to have dashed lines without puzle pieces...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

APSMS

Quote from: Wiimeiser on June 27, 2017, 08:49:33 PM
So is this dashed line thing an override network or what? It'd be great to have dashed lines without puzle pieces...
It's the most basic of T21 mods, but ingenious in execution.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

eggman121

Thanks again for all the positive comments  :thumbsup:

So glad that this project is gaining traction  ;D

Anyway. I have had a go at making a euro mod to compliment the textures.

I will have a go at making the bends when I get home from work.

This type of process may have applications that are wider in scope than just adding rural road lines.

I really do appreciate the enthusiasm that this project is getting  :)

I may organize and open beta once the mod matures.

-eggman121

kbieniu7

Wow, I enter sc4devotion again and what do I see? Eggman once again came up with some new awesomeness :D

By the way, I know that the default euro textures have single dashed line, but what if there's possibilty to rechange them by the way for a double solid? Like in Australia (or Poland)? :D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

mattb325

What an excellent find! It's nice to see that this old game to still turn up some nice surprises  &apls

Nanami

Yay for euro/white version! ;D

that's how the road marking here mostly. although I find there is another version for 2 lane roads here which consist of double dashed white line marking.

dyoungyn

I do like the dashed lines for rural roads.  Keeping in mind of the original RHW (Rural Highway Mod) back in the day. 

Only this time it is time for a road to get attention.  It always bothered me that the default Maxis road has a solid line even in very rural environments. 

Great job and hopeful it will make NAM 36. 

Finally, stupendous job on the Real Expressway (REW) Mod about to be debuted. 

eggman121

Thanks dyoungyn

QuoteOnly this time it is time for a road to get attention.  It always bothered me that the default Maxis road has a solid line even in very rural environments.

This is just my mod thread to highlight modding that I do aside from the NAM. The modding not tied to the NAM so it gives me some time to work on at my own pace.

QuoteFinally, stupendous job on the Real Expressway (REW) Mod about to be debuted.

The REW will not be part of NAM 36 unfortunately. It will be released at some stage (probably NAM 37) and I am working behind the scenes to get the project rolling.

As all things this will take some time. We (The NAM team) Reserve the right to withhold projects that are not yet ready for prime time. Apologies in advance.

-eggman121