• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Definition Props and Textures - Discussion thread

Started by mightygoose, March 28, 2009, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

I'd say yoy can have only one CAmeraRig.ms file. Renaming from left to right does not work. You must rename the original addidng something at the end of the filename, not at the start.

I hope this helps

Also,usually the BAT goes to ..\GMAX\gamepacks\BAT\(and here comes the folder scripts)  and your installation path seems to be different.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Ryan B.

You're absolutely right, Jeroni.  It's in the main /scripts folder, not the BAT's /scripts folder.  I'll remedy that right now.

EDIT:  That did it.  I'm in business now.   ;)

SimFox

burgsabre87:
keeping the hatched burried...
Looking at your screenshot.., did you or did you not follow the instructions? What would you say?

in instructions
1. exact path to the folder was given.
2. as a fail safe was specifically mentioned that this is a full set and that it is REPLACING set of the original scipts.
What this means is that even if you get to the wrong folder the fact that the folder is empty (like gmax\scripts acually is) should act as a warning.

Small thing, but you could just applologies for your categorical statement and hence accusation once they were proven to be wrong...

Jeronij:
reading you reply
I'd say yoy can have only one CAmeraRig.ms file. Renaming from left to right does not work. You must rename the original addidng something at the end of the filename, not at the start.
I'm getting a bit confused, as any renaming always works no matter where or what you change, as long as you do even one character, but that is not the main point. I'm also getting feeling that you don't use the new integrated scripts either  ;) am i correct?

Kudos for spotting the installation folder mistake by burgsabre87

As for he S3d
fist I think you should may be correct the arrows... as the way they are now it is very confusing...

Speaking of the matter, the model appears to be rotated (only appears) because in S3d files coordinate system is rotated 90 degrees around X axis.

So what do you want this new script to do? to rotate the model automatically and then export it as 3ds?

Ryan B.

Quote from: SimFox on April 19, 2009, 06:08:42 AM
burgsabre87:
keeping the hatched burried...
Looking at your screenshot.., did you or did you not follow the instructions? What would you say?

in instructions
1. exact path to the folder was given.
2. as a fail safe was specifically mentioned that this is a full set and that it is REPLACING set of the original scipts.
What this means is that even if you get to the wrong folder the fact that the folder is empty (like gmax\scripts acually is) should act as a warning.

Small thing, but you could just applologies for your categorical statement and hence accusation once they were proven to be wrong...

Absolutely.  I missed the /gamepacks/BAT/scripts part of the instructions.  My apologies for an unfounded accusation.  Thank you for your time and assistance.  :)

EDIT:  Screenshots of the first American HD traffic signs:

Rayden

Quote from: mightygoose on April 11, 2009, 01:37:51 PM
thanks very much for your research ennedi now i we can see some coroboration from rayden maybe we can get a definitive answer on implementation effects in game as far as terrain mods go.

Adam and me, we've been doing some digging into this and, you can expect some good news soon, but I'll leave it to Adam to report the progess.
For now I just leave you with some teasers, my rock mod has been improved and it's using a new technic and 512x512 px textures.

Direct Link

Ennedi

Quote from: Rayden on April 19, 2009, 04:48:11 PM
(...) For now I just leave you with some teasers, my rock mod has been improved and it's using a new technic and 512x512 px textures.

Direct Link

I can only add: 512x512 textures for all zooms  ;D
A comment for those who will follow the link, to avoid misunderstanding: Me and Silvio use zoom names as they are called in the Reader ie. Z0 (zoom 0) to Z4 (zoom 4) instead of Zoom 1 - zoom 5. So if you will look in the album at a picture called "Zoom 5", it means you are looking at Zoom 6 (as most of you call it).
Today it is a bit early to report new findings, but we will inform you soon.

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

daeley

1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

SimFox

Quote from: burgsabre87 on April 19, 2009, 03:43:37 PM
Absolutely.  I missed the /gamepacks/BAT/scripts part of the instructions.  My apologies for an unfounded accusation.  Thank you for your time and assistance.  :)

No problem.
I hope you understand that my post wasn't meant as any kind personal attack on you. Rather it was intended to highlight a problem very common - people glancing through the instructions rather then reading them. Practice that simply defies the point of instructions...

Good previews.
One question... 1,3/1,33 scaling along Z axis is commonly used in building BATs to "counter" the squation effect of camera in bat. I wonder if same this should be applied to props as well? Or is in your opinion said effect on say, lettering, is desired. I personally have very conflicting view on the matter and, for couple of years now, can't make up my mind one way or another. In my buildings I use half/half method - all the key sizes are calculated with about 1,3 coefficient, while all the minor detailing is left untouched...

As a small suggestion... May be it would be good idea when posting the images at Zoom6 accompany them with ones of zoom5 since it is a scaled down version of Zoom6 in case of HD props. This way we could sort of built perceptional database of how this technique affect various type of content - like texts, colors lines - orthogonal, diagonal and at various angles. This may be a good way to develop the feel of the method.

Another thing to keep in mind looking at previews is that further deterioration may occur when image is compressed into FSH. So some detail may be lost at that stage. This is a problem for all BATs made in all tools. I'll try to make next bat preview to integrate eh compression as to show exact result. Not sure if that could be accomplished, though.

Another thing to keep in mind when working with GMAX  is that the preview is anti-aliased while the final output will not be. I wonder should that AA be actually disabled in preview as well? I mean to give more accurate idea of what will be in game

jeronij

Simply outstanding  :thumbsup: ¡¡¡

Great to see that you got it to work  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Ryan B.

I've never scaled my signs using the "1.3 / 1.33 scaling along Z axis" method at all.

What I've found viewing these props ingame is:  Regular (standard definition) for zoom levels 1-5, and the high definition view for zoom level 6 only.

I also rendered one of my sign scenes in both SD & HD, and did a file size comparison:

SD:  approximately 2 KB
HD:  approximately 40 KB

Just some data to back up what y'all probably already know.  I just know that my signs have never looked better - and I doubt I'm going to ever go back to standard definition again.

choco

sithlrd98

burgsabre87: I can actually read them....looks great! &apls
Quote from: choco on April 20, 2009, 05:01:09 PM
memory is cheap  ;)
And I have plenty that I need to get more use out of!

Jayson

MandelSoft

Quote from: burgsabre87 on April 19, 2009, 03:43:37 PM
EDIT:  Screenshots of the first American HD traffic signs:

Sweet. Wait until you see my re-made full HD GTR-signs  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

SimFox

Quote from: burgsabre87 on April 20, 2009, 04:18:58 PM
I've never scaled my signs using the "1.3 / 1.33 scaling along Z axis" method at all.

What I've found viewing these props ingame is:  Regular (standard definition) for zoom levels 1-5, and the high definition view for zoom level 6 only.

I also rendered one of my sign scenes in both SD & HD, and did a file size comparison:

SD:  approximately 2 KB
HD:  approximately 40 KB

Just some data to back up what y'all probably already know.  I just know that my signs have never looked better - and I doubt I'm going to ever go back to standard definition again.

The numbers you provide...
Are they accurate? I mean is it 2Kb for SD or 20? I seriously doubt the number of 2Kb...

MAS71

Oh my....... Awesomeness !!  :o  :o  :o
Only this word, it's say from my mouth for this topic...... ;D

@SimFox san
I'm looking forward to your upload a script for the 3dsMax too. ;)
however, I'm always surprised to your development.
It's great!! Really greatest one !! &apls

Ryan B.

SimFox:  Those numbers are indeed accurate.  Here's a screenshot:

SimFox

MAS71:
thank you... it should be available this coming weekend.

burgsabe87:
well it is technically impossible for SC4Modle file to be smaller than  about 10Kb. Empty FSH file is about62 bytes (just a shell) and there must be at least 20 of those in SC4Model meaning at least 1260 bytes. Add to that absolutely necessary XLM of 244 bytes, 2 JIFFs, one 465 bytes (night color) and another 461 bytes (white color) and 2 BMPs 107 and 103 bytes that already gives you MORE then 2K and we left out all the S3D files, DIR file and of course all the shell elements of the SC4Model file itself.

So, this basically means that normal "un-doctored" SC4Model File can NOT be of that size.

Also, there is absolutely no way that HD version of same prop may result in file that is 20 times larger!
I'm really curious as to the content of that 2Kb file cold you attach it to your message?

Ryan B.

SimFox:  Sure.  I'll attach it to this post when I get home from work.

jeronij

Mallorca My Mayor Diary