• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RAM (Rail Addon Mod) - Development Thread

Started by dedgren, October 16, 2008, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

RAM development has been discontinued.  Further railroad development will be part of the new RealRailway (RRW) project.

RAM is short for (you guessed it) Rail Addon Mod. It is based primarily on the heavy rail network that maxis created, using RUL overrides and starter piece technology (much the same way as GLR and SAM) to create the range of new networks. To accompany the draggable form are various puzzle pieces such as the Wide curves and Wye switches. The Mod is released under the NAM.

Installation

The RAM was merged into NAM 31.x-series releases as an option--just check the box to install it.  It is no longer available as a separate download component plugin.  There will be no future RAM development, as all Rail development resources have been shifted toward the RealRailway (RRW) project.

RAM Network Chart

STR is the only network available to download

[tabular type=1]
[row] [head]Network[/head] [head]
Number of tracks on 1 tile
[/head] [head]
Progress
[/head][/row]
[row] [data]STR[/data] [data]Single[/data] [data]Complete[/data][/row]
[row] [data]DTR[/data] [data]Double (Maxis)[/data] [data]Complete[/data][/row]
[row] [data]TTR[/data] [data]Triple[/data] [data]In progress[/data][/row]
[row] [data]QTR[/data] [data]Quad[/data] [data]Planned[/data][/row]

[row] [data]EL-STR[/data] [data]Elevated Single[/data] [data]In progress[/data][/row]
[row] [data]EL-DTR[/data] [data]Elevated Double[/data] [data]In progress[/data][/row]
[row] [data]EL-TTR[/data] [data]Elevated Triple[/data] [data]Planned[/data][/row]
[row] [data]EL-QTR[/data] [data]Elevated Quad[/data] [data]Planned[/data][/row]
[/tabular]
all networks fit on 1 tile.

Quad Track Rail

FAQ

1. I'm having problems and/or I would like to report some bugs/technical issues. How do I go about this?
2. Will Triple Track Rail (TTR) be able to draw diagonal?
3. I've seen elevated-STR pics for a while now. when is this going to be released?
4. Why is it that the Mod has no elevated road/avenue/owr crossing puzzle pieces?
5. How come the Str puzzle pieces have Dtr stubs?
6. Will tunnels ever be part of this fantastic Mod?
7. When I drag STR over one of the SAM networks, it reverts back to normal street.
8. When I'm in U-drive-it mode, it is difficult to decide which way the switch is pointing. This occurs on curve switch puzzle pieces.
9. Why are my trains colliding head on when travelling along STR?
10. When will Version 2 be released?

1. I'm having problems and/or I would like to report some bugs/technical issues. How do I go about this?

make sure to have some pics illustrating the problem and post it in this thread.

[Back to FAQ]

2. Will Triple Track Rail (TTR) be able to draw diagonal?

yes. this is possible using the model overhang trick.

[Back to FAQ]

3. I've seen elevated-STR pics for a while now. when is this going to be released?

It will be ready when it's ready. Originally it was puzzle piece based and then the creators decided to transfer It and El-DTR to draggable form.

[Back to FAQ]

4. Why is it that the Mod has no elevated road/avenue/owr crossing puzzle pieces?

This is planned for a later release as the elevated models included in the NAM are in a state of review.

[Back to FAQ]

5. How come the Str puzzle pieces have Dtr stubs?

The reason behind this is to allow greater slope conforming. If the stubs are included, this means more RuL work and time. In some instances, the slope gradient would be non-existent. 

[Back to FAQ]

6. Will tunnels ever be part of this fantastic Mod?

This has been discussed as a team and is still on the drawing board for best methods of implementation. 

[Back to FAQ]

7. When I drag STR over one of the SAM networks, it reverts back to normal street.

the RUL code is unstable for that particular intersection and will be fixed for Version 2.

[Back to FAQ]

8. When I'm in U-drive-it mode, it is difficult to decide which way the switch is pointing. This occurs on curve switch puzzle pieces

This is due to the way the game is made. It was designed for 1 tile switches (draggable switches) that are directly orthogonal to diagonal. 

[Back to FAQ]

9. Why are my trains colliding head on when travelling along STR? 

Str is pathed bi-directionally. This is purely for functional reasons so that trains can commute both ways.

[Back to FAQ]

10. When will Version 2 be released?
Just like the NAM, we can't give you a release date as we don't know it ourselves (and it would ruin the surprise :))

[Back to FAQ]

Sundries

T21 Mods:

Rail Catenary Mod By Plunderer

STR stations:

Beverley Station by Bighead99*
SMP Suburban STR Station by thequiltedllama

STR Bridges:

Wooden Trestle Bridge by Threestooges*
Plate Girder Rail Bridge by Threestooges*
Howe Truss Rail Bridge by Threestooges*

*NAM Certified

if it is not listed above then it will be here. The List of Railway-Related Plugins by Caspervg
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

superhands

woops.. let one out to the public $%Grinno$%

JoeST

oh thats just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Toichus Maximus

my mind just ended. I am now afraid to do anything but refresh this page repeatedly to be sure this is real...

Fatsuhono

YESSS! ;D I am particularly interested in heavy industry, and once this is released, will go great in my industrial areas! :thumbsup:

deathtopumpkins

NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

nerdly_dood

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

TheTeaCat

What  ()what()

Its a joke right? STR puzzle pieces??

What is next I wonder?

Seriously this is amazing  &apls &apls

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

art128

........OMG !! I can't cry that !! this is just awesome !! great work  &apls &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sim-al2

Quote from: bighead99 on November 29, 2008, 07:14:55 AM

:o x I think Maxis made the trains sublimely with single-track in mind, because that train looks like it was made for that! *(I know that's a custom train)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

debutterfly

I was just about to ask David if he planned for an el-SLR but i guess my question has been answered.

-Larry (debutterfly)

Jonathan

All the el-STR pieces were made by Dave (Bighead99), he's done an amazing amount of pieces. Also there may be a surprise in the release of the RAM (sometime next year).

Jonathan

Orange_o_

I really didn't know that could be make, very very impressive :thumbsup:

Orange

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

SimNation

I cant wait for this....my freight rail lines will extend all over my region now even through remote areas since single track looks so great. Top notch work fellas.  &apls

05greene

Pat

wow is all I can say here!!!  &apls :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Monorail Master

Quote from: bighead99 on November 29, 2008, 07:14:55 AM

Wow!!! That looks just like the elevated MIS ramp in the RHW 3.0 development thread.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

TheChosenOne

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms