• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

MGB's Mods and other stuff

Started by mgb204, May 04, 2015, 04:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Quote from: belfastsocrates on January 28, 2016, 07:59:31 AM
Quote from: vester on January 26, 2016, 03:22:24 PM
Was thinking of turning my automata into props using some like this. Just haven't got around to it.

That would be amazing!

Already done, resources are part of the Rail Depot Pack upload for Rail, El-Rail/GLR and Monorail/HSR models. They are technically compatible with all automata. But using Vester's comprehensive set you get lots that support large numbers of automata in one go. Currently they include static props and three timed groups that change throughout the day. Almost certainly the RDP package will be expanded with new textures and props (think diagonal/FAR variants) down the line. It should be a very handy resource for lotters, I may even consider new props if there are gaps in the available content related to modern rail depots.

Quote from: Bipin on January 28, 2016, 08:11:43 PM
Quote from: Swordmaster on January 25, 2016, 10:09:04 AM
Thought I recognized Bipin's asphalt there. I wonder what happened to his concrete RHW retexturing project.

I wonder too. Sometimes no news is good news though... ;)

By the way mgb, excellent work! If there's anything else you need, let me know.

All I've done is re-use your texture, as I stated without that I wouldn't have started. You may recall discussing this over on SimPeg a couple years back? It's always been on my radar, not to mention I always thought your concrete was the perfect road texture for such a set.

Using Bender and knowledge of splicing textures together will be enough to turn what you see into a complete set.

Thanks for the additional resources, if I get stuck with a few textures I'll give you a shout. But in essence this is how the SAM 7 mod was created, Cataylst gave me the base 5-10 textures and I was able to expand them into a full set. Now with GoFSH doing all the heavy work, it should be something I can realise quite quickly.

The option will exist to download the repository (like with my Sidewalk NAM one) and auto-generate a custom set with whatever base concrete you can get your hands on. That's exactly how I'm making the ones shown thus far. Without grass textures, alphas are a breeze, those were the most work for SAM7 by comparison. :D

:quick update: RDP Starter lots are now on the LEX :).

Alan_Waters

Excellent depot! Everything works great! &apls &apls &apls

mgb204

Just doubled the number of pieces for Industrial SAM. Whilst that might not seem a large chuck of the whole, the diagonals and roundabouts are some of the hardest to make. Not to mention they form the template for many of the other crossings. So I'd say this is 35% done now. Final textures are shown here, I might tidy up some rough edges, but it's all lining up properly now.

I've cut together the EU/US (White/Yellow) medians in this picture. Updated sample for SAM10 attached.

Simmer2

That's so cool!!

I see some tiling effect, is that intentional?
________________________________________________________________________________

Mandarin(a)

Simcoug

This street texture is looking great!   :thumbsup:

mgb204

Quote from: Simmer2 on February 02, 2016, 05:46:23 AM
That's so cool!!

I see some tiling effect, is that intentional?

Yes/No. The concrete used here is from a multi-fsh texture. But that can't be used with game networks, so the concrete will be the same on each texture. I may play with generating 4 sets from each of the multi-fsh textures, but I wouldn't expect to see much improvement, especially on longer straight/diagonal stretches. But when blended around Multi-FSH lots it's a lot less noticeable anyhow.

M4346

Hi there! Thanks for your great work! It's really awesome and I love using it!

Just a quick question about the Bikepath Mod for TGN.

I installed it, along with all dependencies, and fired up the game to find this:

I might just be doing something wrong, but none of the intersections are showing up correctly. I'm using LHD.

I think there might be an IID issue. I inspected the base mod for both files and the intersection textures are there, but they have different IIDs.

When the non-TGN / original version loads before the TGN version, the intersections show up?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

mgb204

Hmmm  &Thk/(

Just as a quick test, I tried my personal version and also installed it fresh onto a second PC which had no bikepath mod previously installed.

In both cases, these textures show correctly, honestly my hunch here is you've got the original textures overriding the SAM7 mod somehow.

I'm really uncertain where an ID issue could have come up. I've done plenty of testing and nothing with ID's ever changes, it's all in a repository. All 6 variants of the v2.1 release should be identical, they were run from scripts.

Did you change the installation folder (z____MGB Mods) from the default during installation? Can you also tell me exactly which options you selected during install? This should enable me to test your specific setup if need be.

Vizoria

The industrial SAM looks brilliant!

M4346

I had a look at the folder order, it seems like I changed the z_NAM folder at some point. It was loading before it. All fixed now!! :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

kbieniu7

I repeat the oh's and ah's about the industrial SAM. Indeed great! Exactly, what I was dreaming for :D It's a really great additon :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Themistokles

Industrial SAM looks really great! :bnn:

Everything else too of course ;)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Gugu3

The industrial SAM is great indeed! &apls

Golhbul

I installed the Catalyst's Sam 7 Bike Path and it is very beautiful ... Thanks

One question though ... Is it possible to put in place of SAM6 and if so how? Because I often was using the SAM7

mgb204

In theory changing a SAM set to override a different SAM # is quite easy. Each of the SAM texture sets uses a similar ID scheme, for SAM 7 that is, 0xXXXXX7XX. So to change it to work with SAM 6, you'd simply change the ID with 7 above to 6's. iLives reader can re-ID entire dats with a couple clicks.

A few problems with this. First, the WRC textures are now useless, only SAM 3,4 and 7 supports them. The RTMT and HSR textures probably aren't as simple to override, although again it's just the ID that needs changing, just that simply changing 1 digit, likely won't work. Any T21 mods would need to be adjusted to the SAM 6 ID's also. There is a possibility that the set I made for SAM7 wouldn't just work if the ID's were changed too. Since the SAM 6 may have existing T21s that conflict.

There are no real barriers to a user switching SAM sets around by changing IDs. All told it still shouldn't take you 30m to do, even if inexperienced. But if the question is am I going to offer this mod for different SAM sets? Sorry, but I have no plans to do so. It's too much hassle to create/support all the different options IMO. If I make it for SAM 6, someone else might prefer to use SAM 8, it gets out of hand pretty quickly. :(

Ideally, I've always liked the idea of making the bikepaths a new unique SAM set, but I'm not in a position to make that decision. If this happens, likely the original SAM 7 textures would make it into the NAM and I'd have to adapt the TGN versions to work as an override to it. No promises, but that was always the goal here.

Bipin

Fantastic work, and thanks for staying true to your word with the US textures!  :thumbsup:

mgb204

Just wanted to repost these images Bipin shared with me over messenger:

Talk about unintended consequences. I had never planned for these textures to be used in this way. However I'm led to believe in the US this is quite typical?

Simmer2

Even here in Canada there are areas such as those  :D
Those piers and seawalls are fantastic!! wow!
________________________________________________________________________________

MushyMushy

Gorgeous! (in an ugly way) The SAM texture and all of these dumpy, grimy BATs work well together.
Yes, scenes like that are very common here in the States. Roads that look like your SAM texture are common in run-down residential and commercial areas. Many streets in my city look like that, and some of them are the equivalent of RD6 and AVE7 networks. They're usually lined on both sides for miles with buildings that are either abandoned or home to sketchy companies.
It's nice (I guess :D) to see that I can recreate that sort of thing now.