• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greater Featherstall: Salford

Started by wallasey, June 20, 2011, 06:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallasey

noahclem: It's a common theme! Although I have not yet heard of a motorway being demolished because it was never going to be completed...we tended to just leave what was there! You might find this of interest. If something is demolished in my neck of the woods the land is either just left...or some kind of fence is erected with shrubs planted here and there. Unfortunately it's deprived areas such as Anfield, regeneration has been on the cards for the last 20 or so years. Piecemeal demolition and wholescale dereliction has blighted the area, fortunately something is finally being done!

Might have to sleep on the future of Pendleton Shopping City, The real life location is yet to see anything happen either!

Thanks for commenting!

Dantes:
It makes me so proud to see those words, as that was exactly the look I was after!

Adetsaj: Thanks mate!

metarvo: I did try and find a clip on Youtube of a Lancashire Market Stall holder but to no avail. The Market in Bury (pronounced Bereh in local dialect) is reputedly world famous  ()what()

Thanks for your comments!

I am afraid these scenes are very much under construction still, but I wanted to show you all a few terraced houses!

Thanks for stopping by!

rambuckel

That's very very British ... I like that  ;D That typical monostyled rowhomes and the way you show your traffic system!  Very impressive &apls

-rambuckel
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

nbvc

bat

Adetsaj

Great works..!!!  &apls &apls Love your suburbs and layout  :thumbsup: great update keep up the good work. :)

The Beautiful empire, of Gardarian

And call me Daniel

apeguy

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Sciurus

More british you cannot... :D All that to say that splendid! &apls
And to answer you from the page 2: I'm from France, and I've been just one time in London, a few months ago. As your style reminded me this city, I thought it was your main inspiration, but as I saw and as I read, you inspire of many cities.

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

supremec

I saw updates I missed to see (congratulation for your OSITM), and I see you're making fabulous cities  :thumbsup:

I like your latest Update, but it lacks some trees  $%Grinno$%
Click on the banner to see my BATs

Dantes

I think I see the same music group "The Beatles" are on the road. :D  Looks good, but I still need a few trees.  &mmm

Nanami

Nice suburban! personally, I like if they get more trees. :)

wallasey

Hi All!

Greatest apologies for the update dearth,

I have finally found work! Although this will mean moving from Liverpool, I will hopefully remain in one of the places which inspires Featherstall.....that being Sheffield!

A update and responses to your postings will follow ASAP!!!

Thanks all for your continued support!

noahclem

Nice job with the last update  &apls  I'm a big fan of rowhouse neighborhoods and have been using many of bats more recently. MAVE-4 Is a really nice network as well, though I wish there was a way to transition diagonal MAVE-4 to diagonal AVE-4....

Very interesting links you sent me last time (Pathetic Motorways)  :D   I did enjoy having a look around there and thought you might enjoy this site describing the freeway in Milwaukee I referred to earlier:
http://www.wisconsinhighways.org/milwaukee/park.html

A big congratulations and good luck on the new job!  :party:

wallasey

Thanks all for your messages! Been all over the place recently! No good. Here is a map I prepared earlier, I hope you like it!!??!!

Working behind the scenes very slowly, PC with Featherstall on is at home, I am working away during weekends at the minute. Missing Featherstall on occasion...a bit weird I know but when you start making things like this, you cant help but grow an attachment!

Seasons Greetings everyone! I will post a personal reply very soon!

noahclem

Great to see a bit of life here and nice map!

QuoteMissing Featherstall on occasion...a bit weird I know but when you start making things like this, you cant help but grow an attachment!

I hear ya! I tend to think of my SimCity fixation as if I'm a happy older man with a beloved model railroad and a woman and world that generally don't understand what I'm so excited about but think "more power to me" for finding a hobby that makes me happy. And of course SC4D is the model railroading club with the resources to allow you to create things that you otherwise could not ;)

wallasey

Hi everyone!

Some 7 months after the last post...and replies which I will hopefully get round to soon, I have returned home, and back to Featherstall.

There is a great program on our television channel BBC 2, I reckon it is something which will be of interest to you all.

The Secret History of Our Streets documents 6 streets in London, taking about their history, development and the story of those who live there. It is a great watch.

Link to iplayer

Quote from the BBC:

QuoteIn 1886 Charles Booth embarked on an ambitious plan to visit every one of London's streets to record the social conditions of residents. His project took him 17 years.

Once he had finished he had constructed a groundbreaking series of maps which recorded the social class and standing of inhabitants. These maps transformed the way Victorians felt about their capital city.

This series takes six archetypal London streets as they are now, discovering how they have fared since Booth's day.

Booth colour coded each street, from yellow for the 'servant keeping classes', down to black for the 'vicious and semi-criminal'. With the aid of maps the series explores why certain streets have been transformed from desperate slums to become some of the most desirable and valuable property in the UK, whilst others have barely changed.

This landmark series features residents past and present, exploring how what happened on the street in the last 125 years continues to shape the lives of those who live there now.

I hope you are all keeping well, and shall see you all around very soon!

wallasey

A year overdue...better late than never! This update does have a few images so please bear with me.

I have been working away from home over the last few months, fortunately this has come to a close with my new job back home in Liverpool starting in a weeks time.

nbvc, Adetsaj, bat, apeguy Thanks for your kind comments!

rambuckel Monostyled ay! Terraced houses can look that way sometimes, if you ever come to the UK, take a look at some of them. In the North especially, we took great pride in adding additional details to our door and window surrounds...this could range from plaster work to carvings in the sandstone lintels. I'll dig an example out for you!

supremec & 976 Thanks for your comments, I take on board your point about trees...although to be honest streets like what we saw in that update never really had trees. I could have added some around the motorways though to break up the concrete mundane-ness. I'll take this on board in the future! Thanks for commenting!

Dantes Coming from the same area as the Beatles it is great to see that connection! Thanks for commenting!

Sciurus Thanks for commenting! Glad to see that there is a quintessential Britishness about Featherstall...I hope to continue this forward! Please come and visit the real life places I take inspiration from! You won't regret it!

Last but not least...

noahclem While Siilijoki has evolved considerably, things here haven't! Rest assured the terraced streets of Featherstall are starting to take shape, i'll be posting a photo once the scene is just right.

Thanks for your support last year with wishing me luck in my new job...it was a rocky road to start with but we got there in the end. I am glad to say that I am now back home and getting back to normal! The IT glitches are hopefully resolved too as the old region was working off a 2005 Laptop...the specs weren't great. I am now on a new laptop, fingers crossed it will play ball! Can you tell I am excited??

Thanks all for your comments last year, once again my sincerest apologies for taking so long in getting round to you.

wallasey

This is the latest view of the region. I am terraforming bit by bit, currently we have Braithwaite and Norbreck constructed, I am gradually getting around to Featherstall itself.

There's still plenty of work to be getting on with...but here's a teaser for you all!

Thanks for taking a look!

Swordmaster

Oh, great to see those British suburbs back in action here!

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

Great to see one of my favorite MDs back in action  &dance

It's nice to get more background on the concept and region and that's a lovely region view. I look forward to you getting around to Featherstall itself but if it's anything like Siilijoki it will take a while to get to the center itself. I included Central Siilijoki in my first 2 or 3 updates and then didn't return for over a year. The teaser picture is lovely--a very nice residential area with an attractive artery winding its way through the middle, all set in a very flattering light. I can't wait to see more  :thumbsup:

RickD

Your region looks great. I also liked the previous update. Very interesting read.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)