• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

To lurk or not to lurk

Started by NikNik, January 19, 2007, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: Bobbo on February 15, 2007, 09:28:44 PM
I really do enjoy this site - it's so peeeacccefull!!!  I consider myself a lurker, I read the post alot but don't say much - but I'm really trying to get out of that habit of lurking, and get involved.  Pat - you're a character!   $%Grinno$%

&dance &dance &dance &dance &dance &dance
LOL see Bobbo get me out and see what happens  ;D  naw really i try to be pleasant as well if i get out of line someone smack me please and thank you.  wait thats the Mrs job N/M...   Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Doc

As much as I like to be actively involved in a site, at 5'10" and 170lbs, I think I'll pass on the smacking part, Pat! Besides, as much as an asset as you are to the community, I hardly think anybody will have to worry about you getting out of line.
...Doc  aka Doxxp29

Pat

LoL Doc ty soooo much that means alot to me...  btw awsome new pic of ya's better then the phone lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Rockinfrog

To lurk or not to lurk, that is the question. Weather it is nobler to be quiet and let people think you are stupid, or to open your mouth and conferm it! (or hope someone understands your offthewall sence of humor :P ) I mostly like to read I guess. I will comment if I think I have something relevent to say, (or funny if I feel comfortable enough). I will post questions, but not being technically adept like many here and at some of the other popular sites, I try to post relevent ones. I also don't care squat what my post count is, (except to note that this is my first here). So yeah I am a lurker. I would add my thanks to all those who add to the game and run the sites and contribute knowledge and help to others. You have helped me a great deal weather you know it or not. :thumbsup:
Of all the things I have lost in my life I miss my mind the most

LordTarren

Almost everything that needs to be said by me has already be said by many others in this thread.  I prefer to be a lurker, although I indeed like the word "observer" better.  I have very little to contibute.  I learn from reading and studying threads, like the omnibus at ST for example, instead of getting unnecessarily involved.    But the number one reason for my staying hidden is because I have been banned from at least 5 communities in my day dealing with five different topics, one of which was ST itself way back when, and I do not wish to repeat such misfortune.  I do not handle people well on the internet, it seems, and my opinions, no matter how innocent, have always inadvertently sparked arguments.  I have always felt like the odd-man-out, the outcast, everywhere I've gone.  So if remaining a lurker prevents this from happening again and allows me to enjoy my stay here, so be it.   &ops   

SC4D, from what I've read so far, seems be be an incredibly warm and friendly place, so much so that i've been quite shocked, frankly.  It may become a place I can expose myself to without the usual ridicule, but it will take time.  And as the saying goes, time will tell.   %confuso   ()lurker()

(even making this post is something I find incredibly difficult...&dd)
An evil person may have the strengh of one hundred warriors, but possess the spirit of none.  And this is why he will fail.

Diggis

Welcome out of the closet, and please join in.

vab423

Well, if you haven't been banned at Peg's, come on over - we're pretty unflappable over there and we try not to scare people off the first time they post.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

Diggis

However the second time they are fair game $%Grinno$%

vab423

It *is* warm and friendly over here, Lord Tarren, because cold and antagonistic are strictly forbidden in the  "$Deal"$.   ;)  There are lots of helpful people here so I'm sure no one will ridicule you.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

LordTarren

Thank you, everyone  :sunny:

I don't want to give people the false impression that I actively sought to cause trouble, but I seem to have had the bad luck of always finding places with the most uptight, elitist owners/admins with superiority complexes like you wouldn't believe!  My opinions went against the "status quo"?  :discuss: Bam!  That calls for a banning, no questions asked.   %ban% :(  This place seems to lack that, so yes, perhaps I'll finally have a new haven.....out of the shadows?  We shall see.   %confuso
An evil person may have the strengh of one hundred warriors, but possess the spirit of none.  And this is why he will fail.

Doc

We LIKE differing opinions and points of view, LordTarren! We're all individuals with different perspectives and realize how boring the world would be if everyone thought the same way. Everyone here expresses themselves in a mature, honest manner because well, basically we're honest, mature (more or less) people! That's one of the things that makes this place so cool. Everyone is respected...except for flamers and jerks. And for the flamers, the fire will be put out, along with them, very quickly!

Speak your mind and fear not, LT. You're very welcome here!
...Doc  aka Doxxp29

chuckles74

Peeks in from behind the curtain, must say, i do like the decor around here, very classy.

Guess you could say i've been a lurker at ST for around 4 years, got sim city just before Sims 2 was released as i read that you would be able to make your own sims 2 Neighbourhoods in it. Did i or have i ever done it, lol, no. I've hardly even played Sim city, tried it and got so frustrated with game play that i put it on a shelf and forgot it for a long time. Just recently dusted it off and went back to ST, even posted a couple of messages. Followed Dedgern's cj over here, not to mention finding some of the better quality downloads i wanted for my game here. I don't post too often in any forums i'm a member of, but do try to post useful info when i can, my partner knows i lurk, he's usually lurking at some other forum. I use the forums to learn how to play, love the tutorials, other peoples input etc. This site is great so far, keep up the good work.

.... goes back to her cosy corner in the window to admire the view.

petercintn

This is the first site I've felt at home in.  I've been a ST member since July 05 and have 49 post.  But I've read a lot there.

Why have I been a lurker?  Well, I'm weird.  Weird Pete and his reading, Weird Pete and his ideas.  Plus, I have a weird sense of humor.

Quote from: Rockinfrog on February 18, 2007, 06:51:53 PM
hope someone understands your offthewall sence of humor

Me too!

And I hope I've never offended anyone here, never meant to.  Because I've been banned from another site for stating my opinion. (An undisclosed hardware site)  That and some people only feel good about themselves if they make you feel bad have made me a lurker in the past, only posting when I thought it was relevant. 

But I've quit lurking, at least here. 

Why have I quit lurking here.  David really answered this.  I feel part of the community, I know it makes me happy to see a comment left in my MD, even if it's a learning MD.  So I'm trying to leave some comment, pick out something that I really like to compliment the MDer on.  Not to run up my post count, but to encourage the MDer.  I have very little to do, get my daughter off to school, at 16 that's easy, she's on remote now, I no longer have to pull her strings.  Make sure me and Willie (our dog) meet her when she gets off the bus.  The occasional doctor's appointment.  Go to get the mail.  Watch Around the Horn and PTI, some college basketball, maybe the Simpsons, and House (best TV drama.)  Take a nap around 11am.  And I still have a hard time to find time to do the MD.  Rush, rush, rush and the quality lacks.  So a simple "Nice pics" makes my day.  When I worked for a living, I did not have time for games, so I wonder how most of the people have time to put out these wonderful MD"s.  I'm sure they enjoy a reply also.

So please, all lurkers, come out and say thanks, I like that, good tutorial, or best yet, hey, you ever think of this?  No civilization was built in silence.  And I haven't met a mean person yet in 'Devotion.'

Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

socomseal45

I do not know why i lurk ()what(). I just do. Maybe because in real life I am usually quiet. On ST, I just stayed in the CJ section posting "good job", "looks nice", etc. I did create my own cj, but that died. I have made 5 lots that I released on ST and am working on another. I might lurk because I feel as though I never add anything useful or feel like I post stupid or embarrasing stuff.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into 
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

Doc

Socumseal I can guarantee you, you will NEVER be made ot feel stupid or useless here at SC4D. Anything you post will be taken seriously. The members of this site believe in supporting the community and there are no outrageous egos here. They are not welcome.
If you have something you want to say, please post! We'd love to hear it. This community is made up of many voices all with the same love of the game. That's what we're about and that's what we want to hear others talk about. And that includes YOU!
...Doc  aka Doxxp29

Cali

"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

thundercrack83

socomseal45: Doc pretty much hit the nail on the head, the only thing I would add is that the only stupid post around here is the one that you don't post! (A little take from the old "only stupid question is the one you don't ask" phrase). Take care!

tannis40

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY I AM A lurker AS I HAVE THIS GAME  ON MY PC FOR MY DAUGHTER WHO IS HANDCAPPED BUT LOVES TO PLAY SC,I GET HER ALL THE MODS YOU LOVLEY PEOPLE MAKE SO A BIG THANK YOU FROM MY DAUGHTER AND MYSELF TANNIS

Archangel

Whew.  I know I lurk in threads that have too many posts. ... usually i read a few then get bored and go somewher else....the same is for Cjs as well.  As far as this site goes, im trying to come out of the lurking cupboard because i wanna give it a chance.  Yall have been workin hard to ensure this is a small town cozy site, unlike the big city feel of ST. 

Actually, to be honest, most my lurking has been out of curiousity, having come into the scene just before the incident [wont waste time chatting about it], and wondering what this "BSC" was all about.  I beleive in looking at both sides of the story, so on one side I heard that they were egotistical and etc [basically unfavourable remarks] so on the other side i have found you to be... i dunno, i see yall as normal people.  At first my lurking gave me the observation that this place seemed rather "Stepford wives", like a really fake kind of ":) LEts love each other and not talk about the ST Thing, unless a few cleverly subtle remarks basically saying ST sucks"

Drr, i was biased.  But i can look at this site without the bias, having a similar experience recently, and frankly, im tired of lurking (ook...well the lurking that i did do anyway) and im getting kinda tired of the sc4community, and im finding myself in the game more than ever....

Basically im here to try to rekindle my love of the community.  I just started posting like last night so im not sure if its working yet, but i can say ive had some fun reading the forum games :)

NikNik

I am glad to see read that a lot of you "used-to-be-lurkers" are joining us at SC4D and feel at home by being not threatened or battered in stating your opinion in a professional cq. adult way.

Keep on posting your reasons on lurking.

Nik-Nik