• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Travis' Random Shots

Started by travismking, January 07, 2011, 09:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travismking

Ive started a new region to test out the CAM 2.0 rural set. I have never played a region with such interesting terrain, most that I play are mostly flat, So I'm hoping this will inspire me to break free of the grid that usually plagues my cities.

I'm sure most have already seen it, as its quite old, but a very nice region regardless.

Terring7

Wow, what a beautiful landscape :o :shocked2: :shocked2: &apls &apls &apls
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

RickD

The mountain areas are certainly challenging to build on. I like what you have done so far. It looks realistic how the development follows the landscape.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

travismking

An updated region shot after tonight's work, Im quite pleased with how its turning out so far, I will see once I get down into the plains a little farther how it looks.

I will show something other than region view once I have something worth showing :p

penguin007

Wow great mountianous region there can't wait to see it in more detail

Will

lak47

Very beautiful region there Travis :)

I particularly replied to say something about 'rural landscapes'.

- try breaking patterns, like someone already mentioned above

- sometimes, keep it simple, other times, give the eyes more to do. use zoom levels to maximum effect

- try filling up your mayor mode menu with ALL kinds of flora. theres plenty available out there

- if you really are keen on nature and rural, you can take a look at http://www.simpeg.com/forum/index.php, if you havent already. tons of stuff there

- adding a bit of life around natural scenes always works, try to use all the available fauna out there

- nature isnt always neat

Just my 2 cents :) I'll be following your unique thread here, as I'm a rural junkie myself :) Keep up the good work.

travismking

Setting up a new suburban city, and I like the way this rail station is looking so far, so figured I would post a pic :)

edit: resized pic, also recently my rail tracks next to developed land have recently started showing the dirt stuff, Im not quite sure what changed, any ideas why this is happening?

noahclem

I like your rail station area too! How about a wide-radius turn for the railway leaving the station toward the left-hand side of the picture though? I'm curious to see how the suburban development fills in around here  :thumbsup:

Tomas Neto

Very nice your rail station area!!!  :thumbsup:

Terring7

I'll agree about both the wide-radius turn and how nice is this picture. Keep it up :thumbsup:
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Stray Cat

Hey Travis.

I missed the start of your MD and just got caught up.  I like your region.  Did you design it yourself?

Also, I don't usually follow the CAM products much so I had not heard of the CAM 2.0 rural set...now I have to go check that out.  Thank you.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers!

Scott
Just a stray wandering through life heading to the big litter-box in the sky...

travismking

Thanks for the encouragement guys ! Im working on some stuff tonight, maybe will post some pics, just wanted to reply to stray cat and answer his question. No I didnt design the region, It is Cape newenham on on the STEX . It is indeed a very nice and challenging map.

Also, CAM 2.0 is currently in beta testing, so you wont find much info about it. Basically, It currently has developer exemplars for Rural, Midrise, Skyscraper and Standard, and you can choose which you want, rural obviously needs a LOT of population in the region to get to stage 15 (I think R$ stage 15 is something like 15mil region pop.)

travismking

I got a new sidewalk mod, trying to figure out if I should stick with it, or go back to the sandstone textures, I think I like the black one, as its "different" and not too many people using it. I also switched from Euro to american restyle mod roads for this region. No development yet, but what do you guys think?

noahclem

Very interesting sidewalks....  I've actually been looking at these for awhile trying to decide what I think of them. My conclusions:

1. It looks great
2. I think it's probably too dark for normal asphalt road textures
3. I should use more MAVE-4

I think you might be just marginally better off sticking with sandstone but these could definitely be worth a shot. Seeing it in a developed city might give you a better idea what you want too.

penguin007

Nice pics the railway station does look nice but not sure about the sidewalk mod just too dark

Will

Stray Cat

Quote from: travismking on March 02, 2011, 05:39:46 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys ! Im working on some stuff tonight, maybe will post some pics, just wanted to reply to stray cat and answer his question. No I didnt design the region, It is Cape newenham on on the STEX . It is indeed a very nice and challenging map.

Also, CAM 2.0 is currently in beta testing, so you wont find much info about it. Basically, It currently has developer exemplars for Rural, Midrise, Skyscraper and Standard, and you can choose which you want, rural obviously needs a LOT of population in the region to get to stage 15 (I think R$ stage 15 is something like 15mil region pop.)

Thank you for the response.  I grabbed the map and look forward to using it.  Also, I will watch for the CAM 2.0 indeed.

Scott
Just a stray wandering through life heading to the big litter-box in the sky...

travismking

Been playing with my tilesets, and I really like these houses. Could make a whole city with nothing but these and their tenement counterparts. what do you guys think? Not only are the models wonderful, but the lotting is exquisite as well

Terring7

The Choice is Ours
---

travismking

Couple new pictures, this one of a small town's commercial center. note my favorite houses, and the smalltown USA shops :), they are really nice too

And the second is a region shot of the region it is in

noahclem

Wow, that small town looks outstanding at night!  &apls  You also do a really nice job with your rural areas.