• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoman

Excellent work there. I can see a few poly saving areas (such as using a plane (I think) for the road deck) that I'm sure will help out alot.

Really looking forward to seeing this in game  :thumbsup:

blahdy

Quote from: Yoman on December 17, 2007, 02:21:06 PM
Excellent work there. I can see a few poly saving areas (such as using a plane (I think) for the road deck) that I'm sure will help out alot.

Really looking forward to seeing this in game  :thumbsup:

It's already using plane for road deck.  Plus, all objects in the model (with exception of rain gutters) have bottom faces and vertexes cut out to cut poly cost.

The base model itself is actually 209 polygons.  The rain gutters are what's taking the rest, but they will be actually taken out of the base model and become T21's instead.

blade2k5

If this is what I have to look forward to when this project is finished and released, the wait is gonna drive me nuts :P  blahdy those models are stunning and have to admit I stared at those pics for quite some time before I could move along to type this reply ::)  and then realized my lower jaw stung a bit from hitting the floor :D  I eagerly await the release of this project.  Excellent job on this blahdy &apls &apls

Nice work with the animated highway Tonksie.  I noticed that only some of the vehicles are driving in reverse, obviously these sims have had one too many drinks today?  :D

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

dragonshardz

Good greif, Tarkus, hurry! The peons of Jenress are getting antsy!

Actually, no, take your time. Better done right than done fast.

Great animation Tonksie

rickmastfan67

Tonksie, I may not be an Admin here at the forums, but I would like to recommend you to turn that animation to a link instead of having the image load automatically.  The reason I'm suggesting that is because the image is almost 22MB and is a killer to people on dial-up.  Sometimes when an image like that is in a thread, it prevents the thread from fully loading till that image itself is loaded, and trust me, I've had that happen @ other places and that can be really annoying.  So, I hope you'll take my suggestion about just linking to it.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Tonksie

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 17, 2007, 04:54:23 PM
Tonksie, I may not be an Admin here at the forums, but I would like to recommend you to turn that animation to a link instead of having the image load animation.  The reason I'm suggesting that is because the image is almost 22MB and is a killer to people on dial-up.  Sometimes when an image like that is in a thread, it prevents the thread from fully loading till that image itself is loaded, and trust me, I've had that happen @ other places and that can be really annoying.  So, I hope you'll take my suggestion about just linking to it.

I may edit that one later then.

Anyway, regarding my model, it doesnt quite match up with the standard highway size yet (exluding the red hard shoulder this is). How much work will i be setting myself up for if i carried this one on? How many models i mean?

Pat

Stunning stuff here wow!!! So much more as come across since the other night, man im just drooling!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

blahdy

ok 2-lane elevated highway piece is completed. 

UV maps for lane painting is fixed and 2 additional sign bridges have been made. 
There are total of 13 different available signage configurations for 2-lane elevated highway that you can have in your cities.

Picture of all 13 completed different sign configurations available for 2 lanes elevated RHW/MIS highway:

Tarkus: i'll send you an email tonight with .rar file of all components added-- PLEASE take note of the following when you open up the model.

You will see the following components (press H to see list of all model objects) in the max scene:

1. BASE: This is the core component, includes the road deck, pillar/pylon and jersey barriers.  This is grouped, if you ungroup them, you can selectively take out the pylons/road deck as you need to make appropriate T21's if needed.  Please be sure to maintain the proper X/Y axis while moving things around so that it does not disturb the integrity of the whole model.  The jersey barriers and road deck have been extended to 24 meters in order to be compatible with on-slope placements in the game (per shadowassassin's info).

2. T21_ITC_FREQ_10:  This is a group for T21 object.  Includes surveillance camera and its mounting concrete base.  This whole group should be compiled/rendered separately as a prop for T21 use.  Please maintain proper height and X axis as improper deviations will alter the bridge construction.  Best way to render this properly without affecting the model integrity is to simply select it (but do NOT move it at all) and File->Save Selected.  That will save the file into a new model file which can be used to render. 

It is recommended that this T21 be displayed for every 10 tiles of network placement in the game.

3. T21_LGM_FREQ_2: Same as above, but includes the light pole and rain gutters.  It is recommended for display frequency of every 2 network tiles.

4. T21_MSC_FREQ_5:  Miscellaneous T21 components, includes fire standpipe and embedded electrical bus boxes.  Again, same rule applies with all T21's above regarding rendering, etc.  Recommended for display per every 5 network tiles.

5. You will also see whole lot of different grouped objects other than the ones listed above.  Each of these individual groups are complete sign bridge configurations, so same rules apply with above regarding rendering.  The frequency of displaying signage is up to you.  The sign bridge T21 should show up in the middile of the bridge deck in a tile so that it does not interfere with the camera or the light pole (see the T21_SIGN_EXAMPLE group for its placement).

anyway, pm me or IM me/etc whatever with any questions you may have in integrating this.  once you start working on it i'll start work on the ground->elevated 2 lane transition abutment.

Starmanw402007

Love those Elevated Highway Signs all 13 of them Keep Up The Great Work!

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

rickmastfan67

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Pat

gaaaaaaaaasp wow that is awsome news to see this still chugging along!!! Ty Blahdy for your hard work....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Tarkus

blahdy, you are the man!  The models look fantastic, and I can't wait to get them in place.  Thanks for the detailed instructions, too. ;)

I have one little development screenie here--I've successfully redone the Elevated Rail-over-RHW setup, such that the RHW-4 and RHW-2 versions can co-exist.  (Note that I still need to add James' (rickmasfan67's) specially darkened textures to fix the discoloration. ;))  The Monorail and Elevated "Fake" (Maxis ::)) Highway versions will also be fixed accordingly in short order.

With regard to the dashed line issue with the RHW-6S approaches to the ramp interfaces, I'm looking at a couple of solutions--at the moment, I'm leaning toward making the Dashed RHW-6S a separate network/texture variation, which will be draggable from starter pieces.  Then you can make it as long (or short) as you want--there would also be pieces to switch between Standard and Dashed RHW-6S as well.  How does that sound? 

Quote from: blade2k5 on December 17, 2007, 02:51:55 PM
Nice work with the animated highway Tonksie.  I noticed that only some of the vehicles are driving in reverse, obviously these sims have had one too many drinks today?  :D

Two words: Nicole Richie. :D

-Alex (Tarkus)

Filasimo

-Alex (Tarkus)

:D
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Tarkus on December 18, 2007, 01:37:28 AM

Don't you mean five words Alex?

Nichole Richie & Lindsey Lohan. :P

Tarkus

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 18, 2007, 03:14:54 AM
Don't you mean five words Alex?

Nichole Richie & Lindsey Lohan. :P

True, but I'm not sure if Lindsay actually drove backward down I-5 like Nicole did. :D  I wouldn't put it past her, though.  Maybe I should throw some dual-directional paths on the RHWs . . .  ::)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

ooooi now you 2 have done and gone corrupted a good thread lol

Filasimo

we already are corrupted enough for dangling these screenies at ya guys  ::)
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

dragonshardz

Yoman

Quote from: blahdy on December 17, 2007, 02:39:08 PM
It's already using plane for road deck.  Plus, all objects in the model (with exception of rain gutters) have bottom faces and vertexes cut out to cut poly cost.

The base model itself is actually 209 polygons.  The rain gutters are what's taking the rest, but they will be actually taken out of the base model and become T21's instead.

I meant that I saw you using those poly saving pieces and applauded the nice work  ;D

Palpatine001

Execellent work as always Alex, although EL rail is not heavily used in Solaria, just heavy rail.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother