• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Hey, Alex!

That S-Curve looks great! That's a nice little tutorial you posted there--short, concise, outstanding. I'll be implementing this when I finally get around to actually playing the game. And I'll be waiting to see what kinds of maps you have going, too!

Dustin

Filasimo

very creative way of make an S-Curve Alex cant wait to see what other tricks u got up ur sleeve
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

sebes

Alex... so here did you go with your great maps and road building ! Glad I finally found your MD. Next time, make sure to announce a new start. You are making a great spectacle again !
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

BigSlark

Alex,

I now have to rebuild a couple of areas of small s-curves. Its so simple yet brilliant and undiscovered, until now.

So...when is the next update?

Cheers,
Kevin

mjig_dudy

oops! I missed this...  &mmm

I must say, that road building with the curved puzzle pieces is some of the best i've seen, it looks so realistic. &apls

You have some interesting place names there too... $%Grinno$%

flame1396

Cool.... I thought that I could never get the longer S-Curve looking right... (like a RUL mistake) and that It could never look good. I was too confident in the slope friendliness apparantly! I'll be awaiting that farm update  ;D but heck.... roads are good too  :thumbsup:
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

dedgren

...I've seen those curves somewhere before...

Excellent, Alex!  I've got improved textures for the wide curves kicking around the computer somewhere about 90% finished.  We should have these puppies nailed fairly shortly.

Tarkusian Cities, unless I miss my guess, will move up a category in the next day or two.  Couldn't happen to a better project!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back with another update.  Today, it's back to Wakeman to look at a few new developments changing the face of town.

You may remember the commercial strip along South 11th Avenue:

Now that area has sprung a sizeable new residential development.  (Public Works had better hurry up with the South 11th project . . .)

Just north of downtown, major changes are occurring at the intersection of S 11th and Banks Way.  In the city's transportation plan, this will soon be a major intersection.

As part of the first phase, Banks Way is being extended all the way to South 6th Avenue,

to further accomodate traffic headed for the new Cascadia State University campus (one of the few Maxis buildings in the entire city)

And the university has brought further commercial development.  Public Works also decided to extend the S 11th Widening Project down to this end of town.

A new park on the other side of the university

And just on the other side of the park, another massive construction project is under way . . .

And as promised, here's the updated map.  If you compare it to the last version [linkage], you'll notice a few other changes besides the Banks Way extension.

Now onto replies:
Pat (patfirefghtr):  Well, there's an Eckerd in Wakeman now.  :D  As far as the curve tutorial goes, it's my pleasure to share it, and if you haven't found the curve pieces, they're under the Road Puzzle Pieces TAB Loop.  They should be the last three pieces.

Jason (jplumbley):  Thanks for the compliments, and I'm more than happy to assist you with modding stuff.  You seem to have gotten the hang of it pretty well. ;)  Indeed we will have to have another pow-wow.

And as far as the map goes, I've got to thank all of you NHP guys.  It really does work nicely with the curves, which I'm very happy about. 

Joan (Jmouse):  I'm glad to hear you liked the S-Curve, and you're most certainly welcome for the tutorial.  As far as my undo trick goes, perhaps in a future update. ;)  It's mostly just very careful usage of some of the terrain tools.

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks for the compliments on the curve and the tutorial!  As far as the maps go, this one here is just a warmup.  I should have even more here soon once I get further into development. ;)

Ryan (Filasimo):  Thanks!  I was rather shocked when I found that worked as well.  There's some even crazier stuff you'll be seeing in the next few updates (namely that last construction project ;)).

sebes:  Thanks for the kind words, and I too am glad to see that you've found it as well.  I guess I did slip in a little under the radar this time. :D

Kevin (BigSlark):  Well, you've gotten your answer about the update now. :D  I've been trying to keep them much closer together lately, building momentum.  Thanks for the compliments on the tutorial, and I hope your curve rebuilding goes well. ;)

mjig_dudy:  Don't feel too bad about missing it--I've just started going again. ;)  Thanks for the compliments on the road building--that's always been my favorite part of the game.  And I'm glad to see that someone caught onto the place/street naming.   ;)  A fellow Pink Floyd enthusiast, no less.   ;)

flame1396:  Thanks!  I ran across the trick with the curves entirely by accident.  Took awhile to get it looking just right.  There will be more roads and some farms here soon. ;)

David (dedgren):  I've seen those curves somewhere before too.   :D  Thanks for the compliments, and I'm really excited to hear you have some new textures almost ready.  I hope your guess is right, too. ;)

-Alex

Shadow Assassin

Looks good, Alex! Wakeman's certainly growing.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Tarkus on July 08, 2007, 06:34:20 PM
And just on the other side of the park, another massive construction project is under way . . .

The Interstate system is coming? ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

flame1396

Hmm my guess would be an airport for that massive development thing. Too wide for an interstate...
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

Filasimo

*dies* and goes to heaven i just love those construction updates u have to show the towns transit growth  :thumbsup: keep it up and i definitely want to see what surprises u got in store!
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

thundercrack83

Another magnificent update! The construction pictures look very realistic--I can't wait to see when the construction's done! And the maps are always my favorite. I found a theme in some of the street names, too: Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour. Looks like we've got a Pink Floyd fan! Great work, as always, Alex!

BigSlark

Quote from: flame1396 on July 08, 2007, 08:16:42 PM
Hmm my guess would be an airport for that massive development thing. Too wide for an interstate...

Have you seen the test textures for RHW-26?!?

Great update Alex, I like your style. Since I know you're cryptic on that "new release" thing, may the release of TLA's and the completion of South 11th Avenue be concurrent?

Cheers,
Kevin

Pat

OMG OMG OMG OMG Alex you have made me drool soooo much i think my drool bucket took off screaming LoL
Great construction progresses here and i cant wait to see the devolpment - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

How clever (and realistic) of you to show construction sites first instead of the finished product. I've never seen that done before.  :thumbsup:
You have me following the transport system closely hoping to find a few helpful hints here and there. As it is, I can't even make it through stage-three development without major traffic problems, so I'm suffering through a bout of road rash on the learning curve.
Love the park next to the university and hope you'll keep the lovely pictures coming!

Until next time ...
Joan

P.S. A little trick I discovered while using curved RR pieces which are 21 tabs down the list. Shift+tab will start you at the end of the list and save a lot of key punching.

mjig_dudy

ooooh! I love the construction pictures, they are great for adding that extra realism affect.

I can't wait to see what that large construction project is, i put my money on an interstate  ;)

bat

That is a fantastic update! Your roadmap is looking great, too! :thumbsup:

tooheys

Really like the the contrast between desert and population areas.

Nice update and looking good

Cheers

Dave

Shadow Assassin

QuoteToo wide for an interstate...

Are you kidding me? I've seen freeways with massive medians much bigger than that - on one section of the Federal Highway here in Australia, parts of the median are 500m wide, and have farms inside them.

Anyway, it'll probably be RHW-18 :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!