• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boernie

I think it is too much work to made diffrent textures for every single member of this community. I'm for my self are really happy that a lot of great people making textures at all!
--Visit http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2426.0 at the MD recently pubsished section--

oh my god, this hospital is full of sick people!!!

Shadow Assassin

Exactly, there's a lot of textures that are being done. Just now, my textures have hit the 1MB barrier for RHW textures, and I haven't even added in the ANT texture replacements. This sort of thing takes a lot of time.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Filasimo

i have to agree with jason. if you would like your own special little texture learn how to texture and contribute to the community. like momma used to say: "Be greatful for what you got on the table!"  ;)
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Tarkus

Thanks for all the support everyone.  I really appreciate it.  :)  Anyways, here's more development.  This is still a rough prototype texture here, but here's a ramp which splits an RHW-2 into two MIS ramps.  This will come in handy for a number of things . . . (*cough* Parclo *cough*)

And I also concur with Jason, Boernie, SA and Filasimo.  As the great Adrian Belew [link] once said, "You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with." ;)

-Alex

EDGE4194

:thumbsup: it just keeps getting better and better.... :)

yddot

everything looks great, i can't wait for the new release (despite this being my first post, i've been following the development for months)

but one problem i have with the current RHW is that sims seem to not like to use it at times... for example, i will have a RHW within a city and my people will actually take a long way around it, and as soon as i replace that untraveled section of RHW with a regular avenue, they start using that avenue

any idea how to fix this?  it's kept me from using RHW altogether in many situations... or maybe the new release will reprioritize sims' road preferences?

Shadow Assassin

That's great news - I recall you posted a picture of the BYSOI a while ago... and that had a puzzle piece which did the exact same thing.

The ANT texture replacements will be started once I figure out what I should do for the road markings. They most likely will be done Euro-style, that is, using similar road markings. Unfortunately, it may take a while because of some confusion on my part on what's being added to the ANT (which I won't reveal just yet, it's up to Tarkus and Rickmastfan to reveal those new additions). Those new additions will be worth it for you guys, adding even more flexibility.

The first previews will come next week. I won't be releasing the entire package just yet, though...
New Horizons Productions

jplumbley

Quote from: yddot on November 09, 2007, 06:24:19 AM
everything looks great, i can't wait for the new release (despite this being my first post, i've been following the development for months)

but one problem i have with the current RHW is that sims seem to not like to use it at times... for example, i will have a RHW within a city and my people will actually take a long way around it, and as soon as i replace that untraveled section of RHW with a regular avenue, they start using that avenue

any idea how to fix this?  it's kept me from using RHW altogether in many situations... or maybe the new release will reprioritize sims' road preferences?

The issue is more of a pathfinding issue.  The pathfinding engine looks at things in a specific order, and it is very difficult for it to simulate RL.  In RL we use the highway as a priority, because there are no stop lights and traffic always flows but the game views things differently, it doesnt have intuitive senses.  This is the order we have observed that the game looks for paths:

1.  Shortest physical distance
2.  Least Congestion
3.  Speed

The biggest reason logically why Speed would be put 3rd on the list is so that you can have sims walking at 3.5 kph rather than drive 4 tiles to work.  This allows the simulator to choose a different type of traffic type rather than always using the same one.  Least congestion makes it so your sims wont all take the same route to work, but of course this wasnt implemented properly by MAXIS and it was actually never addressed and the 2x, 5x, 10x Capacity Mods in NAM all made it worse.  Hopefully, Mott and I have fixed this issue and made a more proper Traffic Simulator, but we cannot help the fact it looks for paths in the order above.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Tarkus

yddot, it could also be an issue with the direction you have the puzzle pieces facing.  I know quite a few people have had issues like that when they've plopped the Road-over-RHW (or similar) pieces down, but they've had them facing the wrong direction.  Just make sure all the lines are lining up correctly, or check with the DrawPaths cheat (if you have Buggi's ExtraCheats.dll file).  The puzzle pieces are a lot more sensitive to the direction you place them given the RHW's one-way status, but if you're careful, it'll work out fine.

Hope that helps!

Edge, glad you like the new puzzle piece, and SA, I did indeed have something like that in the old BYSOI.  (In case anyone doesn't know what the BYSOI is, it stands "Blow Your Socks Off Interchange", a term coined by burgsabre87.  It was an interchange produced with the old puzzle piece-based version of the MIS.)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Tarkus

Sorry for the double post, but I've got more development here.   ;)

It is now possible to build Parclos with the MIS . . .

Enjoy!

-Alex (Tarkus)

Ryan B.

One thing I like about the MIS is that I'll have more room to put signage in where needed.  Keep up the good work, folks!

bakerton

It looks great Tarkus. Can't wait for the release dude. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Shadow Assassin

Wow, looks good.

Is it possible to make the puzzle piece one tile longer on the diagonal ramp so that it doesn't come off so abruptly?

Maybe something like this (edited photo below)

New Horizons Productions

Tarkus

To answer your question, SA, yes, it definitely would be possible.  I'm planning on revising that piece accordingly. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

Alex wonderful devolpments here.... WOW i love that new MIS and what SA suggested im glad you are going to take care of it!!!! great job here again - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Shadow Assassin

That's good. The big concern I had was the possibility that your puzzle piece drag starter wouldn't work so well if you added an extra tile (due to you coding specifically for it :P).
New Horizons Productions

BigSlark

Alex,

Amazing work! I am salivating over the MIS...I was mowing the grass today and was thinking about how implement it in the largest city my current region.

Its getting pretty bad.

Cheers,
Kevin

yoshiisland2

You guys are making magnificent progress, that RHW looks so amazing...so realistic.  I can't wait till it's done...but I guess I have to? lol Keep up the great work everyone!
-yoshiisland2

Sim_Jesse

I think I'm in love :P   Very good work guys!! &apls    I really can't wait 'till this is released!   Still not in the mood to give us any clue of a release date?  :wings:  &ops