• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

To lurk or not to lurk

Started by NikNik, January 19, 2007, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LE0

I mostly lurk, and only post when I feel like it.
Leoland coming Spring 2009

frostwolf

[/lurk]
I'm a lurker mostly because I don't have anything worthwhile to add to a conversation, and also because I don't like getting involved in site politics. (And of course, I like being stealthy ninja  $%#Ninj2 ;)) I mostly lurk around here, because the best cities are here, but I also lurk on Simtropolis and Simpeg, and a lot of other websites not related to Simcity. Quite frankly, I don't think my fiancee would care if I told her I lurked; she'd be more likely to give me guff about the game than the lurking.

Seriously, though, I find that it's not worth my time to talk when I have nothing to say. When I have something worthwhile to talk about, I'll talk about it. When I have an MD that's anywhere near good, I'll post it. Until then...

[lurk]

grbac

How often do you lurk?
   Daily.

Does your partner know that you lurk?
   probably not and she is not interested.

Do you only lurk here or also on other sites?
   Here and there. Also.

Why do you lurk?
I must say that I was a lurker, and still am but now I try to be involved in conversation even though I still feel I don't have anything smart to say. Anyway that was one of the reasons I was/am a lurker. I don't know how to bat, lot or anything like that. Hopefully I will learn to do that. So I am just a user of SC4 and Custom Content. And writing "Thank you", "I like it" and other stuff feels like spamming and if that is spamming, then yes I spam sometimes but just to show some support, and that is what some ask for. And then the last there is always a feeling of discrimination between members with xxxxx number of posts towards the members with xx number of posts. A then sometimes you just say "Nahh, better don't say anything".
As I said, I tried to change that, so I'm not so much of a lurker anymore, but I still feel like I don't have anything smart to say most of the time. Except support.

Pat

Hey there grbac I am glad you have posted and I do have to say about one thing,

QuoteAnd writing "Thank you", "I like it" and other stuff feels like spamming and if that is spamming, then yes I spam sometimes but just to show some support, and that is what some ask for.

Its always good to show support for someone who is working hard on something... So if saying " great update and I liked it a lot" is spamming then I am guilty but personally I dont feel that at all... I would rather say something to someone who is working hard instead of being silent...

QuoteAnd then the last there is always a feeling of discrimination between members with xxxxx number of posts towards the members with xx number of posts.

Ive personally never seen that happen here at Devotions at all and if it does happen where the person with xxxx post treats another member with only xx post with disrespect it would get dealt with by the staff...

QuoteA then sometimes you just say "Nahh, better don't say anything".
As I said, I tried to change that, so I'm not so much of a lurker anymore, but I still feel like I don't have anything smart to say most of the time. Except support.

Fear not but fear it self and I am glad you are coming around and posting more!!! That is how the community gets to know someone.... Heck look at some of my post they is never smart, but there are times when I do put on my thinking cap and help out!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

grbac

Thanks Pat for that encouragement. Well OK maybe if there is a discrimination, the member gets punished. Maybe I saw it/read it on some other forums(not necessarily related to SC4) but the feeling is/was there so thats why I wrote that down. Anyway I think I've overcome that by posting a few "lurk-posts" and then one thing led to another. I believe thats how everyone starts. Just that some takes it more some less time to do it.

Pat

Hey grbac notta problem at all there for the encouragement  :thumbsup: Its my pleasure, but if you do come across anything like that here don't hesitate at all to let a staff member know about it  :)

QuoteAnyway I think I've overcome that by posting a few "lurk-posts" and then one thing led to another. I believe thats how everyone starts. Just that some takes it more some less time to do it.

You're right about that right there grbac!!! That is how I got started here on Devotions way back when and now look at me I havent shut up since lol.... I love it here cause everyone is helpful to one and another and also very friendly too!!! Well grbac I'll catch you around on the forums,

Patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sebes

Quote from: Pat on April 04, 2009, 07:16:24 PM
Ive personally never seen that happen here at Devotions at all and if it does happen where the person with xxxx post treats another member with only xx post with disrespect it would get dealt with by the staff...

I totally agree with our firefighter there!  Although he has almost 4x as many posts as I have, he never looked down to me for that  :P

No seriously, I know exactly what you mean grbac. On other sites indeed sometimes a reaction is given like "who do you think you are with just 10 posts or so", also chasing me back into the lurk closet. But I cannot remember that I  ever read such a comment here. That is mainly because all forums are actively moderated. If any person, irrrespective of their own postcounting level or membership period made such a comment, he or she would certainly get a warning from the staff, and most likely the post where it happened will be deleted.

So don't fear, stay out of lurking mode now that you made the first step, and give your opinion and feedback to all persons contributing to this site! I hope others will follow your example  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

bap

Hi all, so this is the place where all lurkers meet each other (but would the real lurkers get out of the shadow to make a post?). As with several people, I lurk mostly because I hardly find anything useful to say or add to a discussion. I also hardly make comments on bats & lots I download because it usually takes a long time (sometimes a few months) between the time I download the bat & lot and the time it effectively appears in game in my region. The rate at which I download things is larger than that at which I implement the stuff in the game. This happens because I usually take a long time changing, modding, tweaking a given bat and translating ltext descriptions and titles until it is ready to appear in the game. By that time I usually forget to go back to where I downloaded to make a positive comment.

Quote from: sebes on April 11, 2009, 02:32:11 AM
No seriously, I know exactly what you mean grbac. On other sites indeed sometimes a reaction is given like "who do you think you are with just 10 posts or so", also chasing me back into the lurk closet. But I cannot remember that I  ever read such a comment here. That is mainly because all forums are actively moderated. If any person, irrrespective of their own postcounting level or membership period made such a comment, he or she would certainly get a warning from the staff, and most likely the post where it happened will be deleted.

I experienced something similar myself. Essentially the first time I got out of lurking mode to post anything relevant on a site was to start the (second) Prop Pox thread here. And it caused that kind of discriminatory reaction at another site. I heard (read) such "nice" things as "not being a serious, reliable player", "creating a hoax", "making horseshit", etc. One of the reasons why I decided to post that thread here and not elsewhere is exactly because I felt that SC4D is a place where people are treated kindly and respectfully, no matter how many posts they already have.  :thumbsup:

Bap

mike3775

Why do you lurk?

Because I have little to really contribute.

How often do you lurk?

Every day.  I post every so often, and usually its in the NAM threads that interest me

My wife would rather me lurk here then go to sites that are not kid friendly

As far as Simcity sites goes, I lurk here, at Simtropolis( a few years ago I used to post a lot there and even spent time in the chat, but a mod at the time told me to go F myself when I mentioned that he had kicked someone from the chat for the wrong reason, and ever since, I have maybe made 3 posts in the years since), and even Pegs site.  Of the three, I check this site the most though

canyonjumper

When I first started on SC4D and Simtropolis, I lurked alot. But recently, I am coming out of my little hole, and posting way more. I even started an MD a few days ago :D

-Jordan
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Delecto

Why do you lurk?

-I did not feel like continually posting ... "Oh my god...Amazing...great job...when will it be available...". sometimes I'm just not inspired to write a review although I appreciate the work done by a member.

How often do you lurk?

-dramatically, almost daily!  ()sick()

-SimCity4 is the only computer game I play regularly. So she has no problem with that.

-Also on Simtropolis and Toutsimcities, sometimes on SimPeg.

Snakepit Dave

Mostly just a lurker here.  But for a reason.  I've always had a theory about forums:  unmoderated forums about any topic usually bring out responses akin to graffiti in porta-potties.  Nothing to gain from that, obviously.  I used to participate in a forum about Les Paul guitars but there were certain "alpha males" who would state their opinion and then...that became the final word.  Any further insights would be lost.  Now this forum has incredible experts who have really dissected the nuts and bolts of SC4...so even though I could write an article on the development of PC Games in general (having been around the computer world since 1982) I would have trouble answering a specific question about the game despite long hours logged in "sim-phoria".  About all I could offer is "Don't put a landfill next to your $$$ neighborhood" but you knew that.  Didn't you?

WC_EEND

Well, I lurk everywhere and also very often (ironically I wasn't lurking while posting this). Why I lurk is more or less the same as Delecto's reason.
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

jigsaw

i lurk for a multitude of reasons:

1.  to stop pointless posting.
2.  politics. it is alive and well here just like any forum on the net. there is a definate social order system thriving here. im not saying its or good or bad, it just is what it is.
3.  skills. on the scale of things, im just a player/user of content.

if the SC4 modding/Batting world was ranked like Karate im just a lowly white belt surrounded by some of the world's best 10th Dan blackbelts. so just like a noob student. i dont ask questions, or talk i sit back watch, listen and learn.
insert signature here

MOREOPTIONS

I enjoy lurking around here,. nice to see so many gifted people going to one place to share.  I tend to learn some about sc4d. and the game were all playing.  Am new to all this on line game and forums.  but it's cool...  as far as sites to see. i think I would have to say the sc4d has been the best from all i have been to internationally.  tho i have had a few problems with my game as i have been using plugins from around thew world.  theres still items i haven't been able to locate...  but I am sue i will one day...   I haven't found a forum that you go to when looking for things... but am sure it's here somewhere in sc4d.  Thank you everyone whom have added such creative items to the lex.  I would like to be able to add. but not sure how to bring my cad objects into the lex.  as a Contractor in Kuwait. I have so many buildings in my cad. and would love to be able to see some in here...   well.. I said enough.. God Bless...   $%Grinno$%

Lowkee33

Expect some thread necromancy today :)