• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Joe

If you haven't heard it enough, your work is always amazing Stephen.  When Willy took a hiatus I thought this project might die off.  Hats off to ya for keeping it alive; all these railroad enthusiasts need you.   &apls  Moar karma for that man I say.

Since the issue of textures is still coming up these days I thought I'd upload my retexture work I was doing a year or two ago.  Below there's some dropbox links with an incomplete texture mod ready to go in DAT form (pics), and a cluttered folder with PNGs and GIMP files of my experiments.  You can find railyard textures in there too.

RRW Retexture DATs
Texture Work Folder

And here are Willy's master textures.  I don't have his express permission to upload them, but they are only the PNG layers of what is already publicly available in FSH form so I can't imagine there would be an issue.  If he requests of course I'll take it down.

Swordmaster RRW master textures

I've hardly touched SimCity 4 stuff this year.  Until I get back to it, thought I'd post all that so that anyone with GIMP can play around if they want to.   :thumbsup:

Quote from: Vizoria on August 06, 2015, 03:18:13 AM
Does this mean draggable RRW pieces will have that low wealth grass texture?

For you sir.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ks52lm1i23vnrrf/Low%20Wealth%20Green%20Rail%20Textures.zip?dl=0

Place in the z__NAM folder.  Just don't get used to that kind of turnaround time for most NAM stuff.   :P

--Matt

vershner

Thanks for releasing these. Could come in useful.
That Texture Work Folder link is pointing to the RRW retexture though.

Cheers!

Vizoria

Thanks Indiana Joe, I'll give these RRW textures a try on a new city tile this evening!

Edit, I downloaded the textures but the zip file has no content inside of it.

vester

Great work eggman121.

Well am still waiting for some viaduct ;)

eggman121

Quote from: vester on August 08, 2015, 04:21:21 PM
Great work eggman121.

Well am still waiting for some viaduct ;)

IID Scheme pending. Will show some results when an IID Scheme for Elevated rail come around. I'm keen to get rails off the ground.  :thumbsup:

Anyways here is my latest work  ;D

Guess what this may be used for!

-eggman121

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Vizoria

Awesome stuff! At last a compact crossing for two railway lines.

cmdp123789

Hmmm.. could be used for a lot of things.. but mainly, to tempt us  &apls

Gugu3

noahclem

Excellent work as always Stephen  &apls &apls. This project is so lucky to have you!

art128

Could really use this piece for the approach of stations. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dyoungyn

Great work and this truly is a useful piece. &apls

Speaking of Elevated Rails, is there any way to make elevated connector to Maxis elevated rail.

Tarkus

The base game's default Elevated Rail network is more of a light rail network, rather than the heavy rail of the RRW, so connecting the two isn't in the plans.  We are still trying to figure out just what all will happen with RRW viaducts--they're a high priority, but they might take awhile to make it in, because of what's involved.  They'll be draggable when they do come, however.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Tarkus,

Curios, someone, I am not sure created a piece several years ago that connects the "Maxis" Elevated Rail to a ramp type piece to ground rail.  If that is the case, then could't one do the same with an elevated piece to connect to the future Elevated RRW?  I have honestly always wanted that piece and the piece that was created many years ago does not look very realistic as today creations and creators such as your self are REALLY IMPROVING the SC4 game. 

Tarkus

If you're talking about hooking ground RRW to elevated RRW, then that's very much in the cards (and you can sort of do it with the existing viaducts, though they aren't particularly adapted to RRW specs at present). 

In theory, ELR-to-ERRW could be done just like the old transition you've described.  But with the exception of the workaround we did to allow Light Rail UDI, Heavy and Light Rail are not supposed to mix under NAM standards (doubly so with the RRW's focus on realism), so it would not be something we would produce.

-Alex

APSMS

Will the heavy rail paths remain on the Light Rail tracks? UDI isn't that big for me, per se, but part of the region I am "reinterpreting" for my MD has Light Rail trains run on heavy rail track, and I'd like to be able to present the illusion of this occurring without resorting to Photoshop/GIMP (I can use the Light Rail track for the heavy rail paths, or a Light Rail automata generator near Heavy Rail to simulate this currently due to the way the automata seems to be handled by the game)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Tarkus

As far as I know, the Heavy Rail paths will remain on the Light Rail tracks (and will continue to be added to any new Light Rail content), as that is what allows the Light Rail UDI functionality.  While it's not a feature one really hears about, we'd probably hear quite a bit from the small but devoted segment of users who are big into UDI if we nixed that.

-Alex

dedgren

Amazing stuff.  The game is reinvented yet again.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Kuewr665

I think dyoungyn is referring to this kind of transition.

If that's the case, then the "piece" is a transit enabled lot. It's really more of a station - the elevated light rail passengers get off the station and then take a heavy rail train (and vice versa) - and not really a connection between the two networks.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Kuewr665 on August 13, 2015, 08:22:48 AM
If that's the case, then the "piece" is a transit enabled lot. It's really more of a station - the elevated light rail passengers get off the station and then take a heavy rail train (and vice versa) - and not really a connection between the two networks.

It would constitute as being a transit station rather than being a puzzle piece (or draggable component), and as such, is subject to all of the NAM Team's recommendations for transit stations. (The problem is that it just doesn't look the part.)

On that note, there are a handful of stations that fulfil this kind of functionality, even a few included in the NAM, but some of them are large transit hubs.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums