• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelis

This is really great !! The new aspect of the railways is amazing and pretty realistic !!
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

c.p.

I agree.  It's a huge improvement over the Maxis rails (which I always thought were pretty good until I saw this project.)

threestooges

Another variety employs a concrete divider. However, this particular example was taken from a quiet-zone where train horns are no longer used. Four-quadrant gates and a divider (intended to prevent cars from trying to skirt around). The biggest thing to note is the crossing yellow stripe marking the end of the turning lane prior to the crossing.
-Matt

FrankU

Kuewr665

The concrete dividers are provided on the crossing gate mod I use.

whatevermind

I would go with an "if traffic can approach the crossing in that lane, it gets a stop bar" approach. The real world seems to have a lot of variety on what lanes get bars and which don't anyway.

I love all the bits about the RUL flags too. In case you're interested, the Wiki desperately needs a knowledgeable person to expand upon the rail Network Flags.  $%Grinno$%

Meeston

this mod is GREAT!  &apls  :thumbsup: i hope they release the 4-lane rail track.  :o
this is Meeston. the best SimCity gamer.

Gugu3

Quad track rail is not planned for this release...it's a long term plan...don't even know if it's gonna be released or not...there has been some work on TTR but due to some issues and Dedgren being not active lately the TTR is on hiatus...let's enjor the RRW for the moment :thumbsup:
Just a curiosity Willy...you've shown a picture of a 7.5m rail overpass at the beginning on my request...don't want to put any pressure as we're absolutely not in a rush and we just want to enjoy the game...is there some work going on thsat front for the first release or is it a long term plan?and speaking of elevated rail...are you planning to do something for elevated STR?i remember seeing pictures of elevated STR in the past but that project havs been on hiatus for a while now...
Thanks for your precious work and the amazing stuff you're preparing for us!
and thanks for your kindness when replying all the different questions... &apls
Cheers
Guglielmo

Meeston

Quote from: Gugu3 on November 06, 2013, 02:24:41 AM
Quad track rail is not planned for this release...it's a long term plan...don't even know if it's gonna be released or not...there has been some work on TTR but due to some issues and Dedgren being not active lately the TTR is on hiatus...let's enjor the RRW for the moment :thumbsup:
Just a curiosity Willy...you've shown a picture of a 7.5m rail overpass at the beginning on my request...don't want to put any pressure as we're absolutely not in a rush and we just want to enjoy the game...is there some work going on thsat front for the first release or is it a long term plan?and speaking of elevated rail...are you planning to do something for elevated STR?i remember seeing pictures of elevated STR in the past but that project havs been on hiatus for a while now...
Cheers
Guglielmo
okay.  :'(

Swordmaster

Thanks for those ideas on the crossings everyone. I'm working on a potentially neat fix.

Quote from: whatevermind on November 04, 2013, 08:18:39 PM
I would go with an "if traffic can approach the crossing in that lane, it gets a stop bar" approach. The real world seems to have a lot of variety on what lanes get bars and which don't anyway.

I love all the bits about the RUL flags too. In case you're interested, the Wiki desperately needs a knowledgeable person to expand upon the rail Network Flags.  $%Grinno$%

Yes, I have that planned for after the release. So that's still a really, really long way off.

Maybe. $%#Ninj2

Quote from: Gugu3 on November 06, 2013, 02:24:41 AMQuad track rail is not planned for this release...it's a long term plan...don't even know if it's gonna be released or not...there has been some work on TTR but due to some issues and Dedgren being not active lately the TTR is on hiatus...let's enjor the RRW for the moment :thumbsup:

It's the other way round--my gratitude goes to all the people who've shown their support so far, especially my NAM team colleagues and my little private club of testers  :thumbsup:

As for QTR, it is included in the IID scheme, so consider it "planned". I even made a quick orthogonal mockup to assess the potential geometrical hurdles. Same with TTR, on my part at least. David's material is sitting on my HD but there are other priorities now. My greatly increased comfort with overhanging networks has made both of these a real possibility, though.

As for what you guys can most likely expect regarding the upcoming release, the next two or three NAMs will be "rollouts" for the RRW, so don't expect full functionality from the go. I've spent most of my time prepping the DTR network, which as of now involves the following tiles (probably a few more after today):

Spot the differences ;D

As these take up quite some time RULing, pathing and modeling, this'll be the core of what'll be in NAM 32 on my end. There's also testing and documentation to be kept in mind of course. Everything else is "bonus" at this point. As shown I'm working on crossings, but not every single one of them will be covered yet. There's also been a serious effort to convert STR to the minicurve specs, but likewise, there will be gaps (as there are in the current RAM-STR network). Of course, the existing WRC and FARR puzzle pieces have been retextured and repathed. But most certainly, don't hold your breath for any other features.

The reason for that is more than just time constraints: the secondary features (STR, draggable elevated networks, draggable FARR & switches and so on) will be built on top of the base DTR network. Therefore, I have deliberately postponed these items because I need the base network to be released and tested by all of you folks first. This is to avoid duplicate work--changes to the DTR network to fix bugs would potentially disrupt any other coded material--and it is known that despite the great effort put in by the team and associates, the first bug usually pops up a few minutes after release.

I have a rough schedule of things to come but as per usual policy there are no announcements or promises of this kind.

Cheers
Willy

Meeston

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 06, 2013, 04:27:27 AM
Thanks for those ideas on the crossings everyone. I'm working on a potentially neat fix.

Quote from: whatevermind on November 04, 2013, 08:18:39 PM

Yes, I have that planned for after the release. So that's still a really, really long way off.

Maybe. $%#Ninj2

Quote from: Gugu3 on November 06, 2013, 02:24:41 AMQuad track rail is not planned for this release...it's a long term plan...don't even know if it's gonna be released or not...there has been some work on TTR but due to some issues and Dedgren being not active lately the TTR is on hiatus...let's enjor the RRW for the moment :thumbsup:

It's the other way round--my gratitude goes to all the people who've shown their support so far, especially my NAM team colleagues and my little private club of testers  :thumbsup:

As for QTR, it is included in the IID scheme, so consider it "planned". I even made a quick orthogonal mockup to assess the potential geometrical hurdles. Same with TTR, on my part at least. David's material is sitting on my HD but there are other priorities now. My greatly increased comfort with overhanging networks has made both of these a real possibility, though.

As for what you guys can most likely expect regarding the upcoming release, the next two or three NAMs will be "rollouts" for the RRW, so don't expect full functionality from the go. I've spent most of my time prepping the DTR network, which as of now involves the following tiles (probably a few more after today):

Spot the differences ;D

As these take up quite some time RULing, pathing and modeling, this'll be the core of what'll be in NAM 32 on my end. There's also testing and documentation to be kept in mind of course. Everything else is "bonus" at this point. As shown I'm working on crossings, but not every single one of them will be covered yet. There's also been a serious effort to convert STR to the minicurve specs, but likewise, there will be gaps (as there are in the current RAM-STR network). Of course, the existing WRC and FARR puzzle pieces have been retextured and repathed. But most certainly, don't hold your breath for any other features.

The reason for that is more than just time constraints: the secondary features (STR, draggable elevated networks, draggable FARR & switches and so on) will be built on top of the base DTR network. Therefore, I have deliberately postponed these items because I need the base network to be released and tested by all of you folks first. This is to avoid duplicate work--changes to the DTR network to fix bugs would potentially disrupt any other coded material--and it is known that despite the great effort put in by the team and associates, the first bug usually pops up a few minutes after release.

I have a rough schedule of things to come but as per usual policy there are no announcements or promises of this kind.

Cheers
Willy
nice mod! after RAM. the RealRailway replace the old Railroad Addon Mod!  &apls

noahclem

Excellent work Willy  &apls  I really appreciate the attention to detail--to the point that one needs a trained eye to play the "spot the differences" game  :D

Meeston

Quote from: noahclem on November 06, 2013, 04:52:07 AM
Excellent work Willy  &apls  I really appreciate the attention to detail--to the point that one needs a trained eye to play the "spot the differences" game  :D
yep. the RealRailway is GREAT!  &apls  :thumbsup:  &hlp

FrankU

The RAM was a jump in realism and versatility. This is a jump of at least the same size. We jumped over SC2013....!

CasperVg

Quote from: FrankU on November 06, 2013, 05:42:05 AM
The RAM was a jump in realism and versatility. This is a jump of at least the same size. We jumped over SC2013....!

Over? I'd argue that SC2013 never surpassed us, especially with the amount of modifications that exist for SC4. The RRW is looking really great, Swordmaster, and even though I had my doubts about the colour scheme you picked, it has grown on me quite a bit and I really like it now.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Meeston

Quote from: CasperVg on November 06, 2013, 05:45:53 AM

Over? I'd argue that SC2013 never surpassed us, especially with the amount of modifications that exist for SC4. The RRW is looking really great, Swordmaster, and even though I had my doubts about the colour scheme you picked, it has grown on me quite a bit and I really like it now.
yes. you are right. also. i read this on SC4D wiki: "There is not a game with the title SimCity 5 (SC5), although the name has been used for years to denote the potential sequel to SimCity 4."  :thumbsup:

FrankU

Over? I'd argue that SC2013 never surpassed us, especially with the amount of modifications that exist for SC4.....

Yeah, indeed. After I sent the reply I realised that it was quite a stupid remark. Comparing SC2013 and SC4 is something like comparing pliers with a pig, or a box of tomatoes with ... I don't know. No real reference to compare them. Just not.

OK, let's cut the crap.

RRW RULs!

Meeston

Quote from: FrankU on November 06, 2013, 06:47:04 AM

Over? I'd argue that SC2013 never surpassed us, especially with the amount of modifications that exist for SC4.....

Yeah, indeed. After I sent the reply I realised that it was quite a stupid remark. Comparing SC2013 and SC4 is something like comparing pliers with a pig, or a box of tomatoes with ... I don't know. No real reference to compare them. Just not.

OK, let's cut the crap.

RRW RULs!
you see what i said: there's NO SC5. SC13 is just a reboot of the SimCity series. not a sequel of SC4.  :thumbsup: NOTE: this is a RRW topic. not a SC13 topic.

Vlasky

This is amazing! Truly stunning and innovative work here. Great job!
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

Meeston

Quote from: Vlasky on November 06, 2013, 08:50:44 AM
This is amazing! Truly stunning and innovative work here. Great job!
yep. RealRailway is amazing.  :P