• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyHigh

I read you  ;)

We'll being as it may, I'm sure we'll all be following it closely and enjoy it whenever it comes out!
>>> Maxwell R. Black <<<

Shroud

This project is looking great! Keep up the good work.

Swordmaster

Thanks both of you.

October is shaping up to be quite an active month on the RRW front. I've been working on getting the basic network into shape, which is actually a lot more than just making textures for what was there before.

You may remember the redesigned curves of which Indiana Joe posted some good examples. We've termed them Mini Curves, to distinguish them from the wide curves. While an interesting visual upgrade, they also required the rail tool to be completely revamped, as curves now overlap adjacent tiles. This was long overdue, since the Maxis code was quickly becoming insufficient, and quite a mess to be honest. I'm currently at 11,500 lines of code -- compared with around 1,000 in NAM 31.2 -- and it's not quite enough yet $%Grinno$%

Some stuff:

Compare with the Maxis network:

Something more practical:

Mind, this is only the first step.

Cheers
Willy

Indiana Joe

Well, I was literally just about to go do some testing as you had requested Willy, but it seems like you've got the mod under pretty good control.   $%Grinno$% &apls

That's great stuff.  I'm gonna go spend a few hours playing with it now.

Simcoug

MTT9

You can call me Matt

memo

So beautiful! I've just melted away. This will make for a whole new railyard experience. :thumbsup:

kelis

This will be for sure a great addition to the game, I love it !!
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

It's hard to overstate how big an improvement this is!  &apls

Absolutely fantastic work Willy.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Bipin

noahclem

Kuewr665

Much easier on the eyes than the Maxis railroads! I love these!

FrankU

Yaikes! These Maxis, I always thought they were quite ok.... They are a sore in the eye next to your RRW!
This is so much of an improvement. What is there to say more? Great great work!  :thumbsup:  &apls  :)

Vlasky

My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

Haljackey

I can't believe that I haven't posted here yet (a heavy lurker ;)), but I am very impressed at just how noticeable the change is between the rail textures.

When this project got going I thought it was just another rail texture like Dedgren's or the one made by the SFBT. I was wrong, very wrong.

After sharing the latest comparison shots between the RRW and the Maxis rails, I received a comment from the original creator of the Maxis textures, calling this project an improvement.

Keep up the fantastic work!  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

Thanks everyone for the comments. And thanks Ryan for boosting this on reddit (and for the KP) :thumbsup:  It's interesting to actually hear from the original texture creator and get his thumbsup in the process.

I started the STR Minicurves textures and did some RULing ;D

Cheers
Willy

FrankU

The curves are so smooth, and the colours are realistic. I have the feeling though that the blockings (what do we call these things that avoid trains from driving over the end of the rails?) are a bit blurred. Maybe you can use the Maxis ones? Or is it just the images?

And another: are you going to provide a small set of textures for lots, so that we can edit our station lots to fit in with the dragged rails?

rooker1

Incredible work Willy!!
Another step towards perfection for our beloved game!!

Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.