• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GRV II-Challenge No 3

Started by mrbisonm, April 11, 2009, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtle

Great idea! Sounds like fun :)
My name is Thomas...

Pat

Hmmm now is time to tell where Patrick Allen is going to reside in his beautifully created southern portion of Edwardston or will he go North?

Geezzs Fred and Lynn talk about a man needing to choose his side lol!!! This is great and well I could always let my opponent decide the faith of the north or I could just take and run with the north now hmmm ???

either way either shape and anywho Count me in for some more fun!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mrbisonm

A little like Lynn, I was worried a tiny bit about the reactions of the Players, but I thought the worse that could happen is that you don't like it and we simply would've jumped to another challenge within hours. Fortunetly as I can see, all is well accepted and even appreciated. Good to hear this, because this will surely be fun and as I said before, fun to play and to judge. It will be quite interesting to see the differences between you all on your decisions, not only in this challenge, but also the others to come. The next three challenges will be based on this and then .........well, that's another story yet to live.

Splime, you can choose your region's  south, no problem, but you cannot choose it to govern the separatist, that will be in the hands of someone else. We want to mainly judge you and not the Separatists.
But however, you will have an occasion to play the role of a Separatist in someone else's region, maybe his/her north or his/her south. That is not to us to decide. So, you will surely have some fun anyways.

All we can say is to choose well your part of GRV, because the other half now lies in the hands of the Separatists.

We will not be able to post any challenge 2 points until wednesday and then only a few per day, so please be patient with us this week, since it is a lot of work to organize and judge all the pics and we have only little time at the moment. Thanks for understanding and we're eager to see your decisions on this one.

Btw, in this challenge some custom lots could be appreciated, but are not a necessity to get good points. We understand those who cannot BAT or LOT.

Good luck and thanks for appreciating this challenge.

Fred and Lynn

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Kitsune

Let me get this straight, no road or rail is suppose to show in the blockade part? Even if its lotted only?
~ NAM Team Member

frostwolf

From the only unofficial player still in the house, this looks like a lot of fun. I don't think anyone here will try to play a heavy type character, which is the way I could see this going wrong on other boards.

I will, however, have to rewrite my background sections... ;)

mrbisonm

Quote from: Kitsune on April 13, 2009, 02:44:11 PM
Let me get this straight, no road or rail is suppose to show in the blockade part? Even if its lotted only?

Right, we want to see that the road or rail is interupted in the region-trafficview. If you want you can create a roadlot which is not traffic enabled, that's fine, but then again when we ask for a closer picture of each "deconnection", it will not somehow look right, unless you have installed some barrier props on top of the road/rail or something else that could block the road/rail. It has to look like as if the road/rail was like completely blocked or blown up by serious separatists and totally disabled for trespassing. A park dirtlot would be a good idea.
Important is that we can see it in trafficview in the regionview that only 1 road and no rail is still connected to either the south or north.
And remember use at least 2 tiles that will not be seen in regionview.

Fred

Pat

ahhh so you want the disconnection then!!! hmmm tougher choice now to which side am I???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jmyers2043

"Yah Hoo! Make no mistake. The south shall rise again!"

But I'm not quite ready yet. For one thing I've got to wait until Wednesday the 29th at midnight. Until then I've got to fix my car and maw's been pesterin' me to get that rusty old stove out of the yard. But when it's time I'll be right there showing them darn Yankees how is done and you can bet on that. That is, if it ain't raining and the creek don't rise.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Kitsune

Quote from: mrbisonm on April 13, 2009, 04:07:40 PM
Right, we want to see that the road or rail is interupted in the region-trafficview. If you want you can create a roadlot which is not traffic enabled, that's fine, but then again when we ask for a closer picture of each "deconnection", it will not somehow look right, unless you have installed some barrier props on top of the road/rail or something else that could block the road/rail. It has to look like as if the road/rail was like completely blocked or blown up by serious separatists and totally disabled for trespassing. A park dirtlot would be a good idea.
Important is that we can see it in trafficview in the regionview that only 1 road and no rail is still connected to either the south or north.
And remember use at least 2 tiles that will not be seen in regionview.

Fred

Thats what I was thinking, concrete barriers, a backhoe, and hopefully a prop that has someone totting a machine gun  :D
~ NAM Team Member

Pat

Quote from: jmyers2043 on April 13, 2009, 05:24:17 PM
"Yah Hoo! Make no mistake. The south shall rise again!"

But I'm not quite ready yet. For one thing I've got to wait until Wednesday the 29th at midnight. Until then I've got to fix my car and maw's been pesterin' me to get that rusty old stove out of the yard. But when it's time I'll be right there showing them darn Yankees how is done and you can bet on that. That is, if it ain't raining and the creek don't rise.

For some reason there Jim I can see you jumping up and down while chanting that!!!

Splime

So, I just wanted to clarify, can we include things we built after the separation in the challenge, as long as we build them on our side of the river? Or should part 2 of the challenge (the 3-5 pictures part) only include what we've built up to this point?

EDIT: One more question - I know we can make security posts near the bridges that we cut off, but what about near the main bridge that we keep? I was thinking about making a checkpoint where the cars can go through, but have to pass through fencing and guardposts, etc. I realize this is something that would be built on the opponent's side, so I wanted to ask first.

mrbisonm

Pat, Yap, it's gotta be disconnected so in regionview it shows like 2 tiles without connection.
Kitsune, sounds good, but remember it has to show as disconnected in regionview.

Quote from: Splime on April 13, 2009, 06:17:44 PM
So, I just wanted to clarify, can we include things we built after the separation in the challenge, as long as we build them on our side of the river? Or should part 2 of the challenge (the 3-5 pictures part) only include what we've built up to this point?

EDIT: One more question - I know we can make security posts near the bridges that we cut off, but what about near the main bridge that we keep? I was thinking about making a checkpoint where the cars can go through, but have to pass through fencing and guardposts, etc. I realize this is something that would be built on the opponent's side, so I wanted to ask first.

Answer to first question: You can show whatever and wherever from you want, north or south and we don't care which side you're on. We want to see everything that is worth showing in your total region. At least one picture of your maintown but in a view that we can see it all. If you have two major towns in your region, we want to see both, one picture each. And for the others you can either show details or different citytiles that you have been working on.

We want to see what you were up to in the last 4 weeks!

Answer to second question: We don't care what you do on or near the connected road, as long as you show us a picture (including a part of the bridge) and keep it connected. The rest is of free choice ......for the moment. &Thk/(

Fred

frostwolf

Just to be clear on this one: do I need to connect this new road to the neighboring regions, or does it just go from point a to b and stop? Reason I ask is, the planned route is going to send me into the mountains to connect it; not the end of the world, but pretty expensive, even for a road, with all the switchbacks.

David

mrbisonm

The Third Official Road can start and stop anywhere you want, no specific destination is asked for. You can connect it to the neighboring region at one or two ends or not all. It can be a Road that starts in your region and end in your region, or just comefrom one side of the neighboring region and end in another neighboring region. You can build it on one tile only or go through the whole region. All is up to you.
Hint: It will be judged on how useful you made it.

Fred

CabraBuitre

Very interesting challenge guys!  Should prove rather challenging!

A few clarifying questions...

First of all, the most important question is this:  Is the region separated as of the posting of the challenge #3, meaning that, other than the new route, we really cannot build anything on the other side, or do we have access to build on the other side up until our posting of this challenge... after which we lose control (i.e. the posting of our "answer" to challenge #3 commences with the separation?)  The main reason why I ask this is because I haven't had an opportunity to build on any of the "free" tiles other than what the challenges explicitly asked for yet.  It would give the separatists a severe, severe disadvantage because they wouldn't have anything but a few houses, a few farms, and a utility (either water or power) to work with.

My second question is one of content.  In initiating the separation, can we arm either side?  Are we actually portraying the volatility of the region, or are the two sides of Bordertown just part of larger entities that are thrown into turmoil by their representative governments?  Even with the latter situation, it would certainly be possible for there to be major (military) tension between the two sides... so do you want to see the guns?

I hope for the viability of both sides of the region that we have the ability to build up until the point of separation (i.e. our posting of Challenge #3).  Of course we'll be limited in what we can do, an ultimately, any building we would do on the other side wouldn't give us any advantage at all in the struggle... it would give our opponent an opportunity to actually work with something instead of having nothing to work with!

And my last question involves when our "opponent" will give us our orders for their side.  Will that begin after challenge #3, or is that part of challenge #3?

OK, I lied, that wasn't my last question...

If I read this correctly, the challenge requires:

1. Which ever utility was cut off by the separatists, if it was cut off  (seemingly, we would show this in a pic?)
2. A new Route (shown in regional view... also noting the disconnection of all crossing routes except one road)
3. 3-5 pics of what you have been building besides the challenges  **(... unless you haven't built anything yet, then build something to show?) including one pic of the main town, which, from what I understand, should be straddling the river, half on one side, half on the other
4. Pics of every bridge except for the one that is still connected (that one will likely be shown in the main town anyway...) showing gaps of at least two individual tiles, showing the break

So it looks to me like we have:
1. one pic
2. one pic
3. three to five pics
4. how ever many pics you have of bridges that are disconnected, probably 3

for 8-10 pics?

The biggest thing of clarification for me is if I can build anything on the other side... even though it says explicitly that I can't.  Looks like a dumb question, I know... but maybe that will make it that much more difficult for me!

Check out Abelfarei!

mrbisonm

Question 1: No, you cannot build anything, except the new route on the other half of your terrain. Because we don't want this challenge to be spred over 20 challenges, consider the challenge 3 as in two parts, before and after. First you just do as if you build the last route wherever you want to and that everything is still under your power and then all of sudden everything is cut off by the rebellions.
We had no other choice to do it this way, because otherwise it would have taken another challenge, and already we have squeezed several into one.
When under siege, you cannot build anything anymore. What you have built you can keep and we saw what you built on your last regionview. If you have built nothing on the "other side", too bad for them for now, but that might change, all depending on the new nation's leader. You never know what he might be up to.

Question 2: No again, you cannot arm either side. First, the oponents side is not under your control, then secondly military movements are in the planning on the Governor's side if necessary, but as you haven't got the word from the Governor directly, any armed  or military forces are not acceptable at this moment. We don't want to awake the rebellions and challenge them into an armed war or revolution, now do we? Let's show them our diplomatic ways of clearing any conflict.

Question 3 : The oponents haven't given any orders yet, right? So, I suppose it will start with challenge 4, or maybe not, we'll see. For the moment we are not allowed to enter the enemy's terrain and that is exactly what we will be doing and not to awake any international concern.

Question 4: Sorry for not being clear on the amount of pics taken this time, but it all depends on how many bridges you have in your region, since every bridge needs a picture to show us the " cut-off " in details. The number of pics is therefor undefined.

1.  pic of whole region
2.  If you have to build a new Powerstation on "your" side, because you lost access to the old one, then 1 picture of it.
3.  3 to 5 pics of what you build in the region, just anything of what you have created yet and want us to see. If you haven't built much, too bad, you had the chance before, we asked you so before.
4.  1 picture of each bridge that was cut off and 1 picture of the only "open bridge".

Don't worry about difficulties, if you like them, you'll be happy soon enough! If not.....poor you....maybe you like headaches too?......lol

Good luck.

Fred

MandelSoft

I've only two bridges crossing the border (the first rail bridge and the N10), so for me there will be only one picture for the cut-off bridge. The open bridge will be the N10 bridge, because I have no other bridge crossing the border (although you can make this bridge semi-open by placing a toll gate or something similair...)

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mrbisonm

What you do with your open bridge is up to you, but do not disconnect it, and we would like to see a picture of it if you do something like a gate etc.
And yes, 1 picture of the railbridge which is cut off.

Fred

Rayden

Quote from: mrbisonm on April 12, 2009, 09:55:53 PM
The deadline of this challenge will be on Wednesday midnight(NY time) April 29th, 2009, but can be altered if we have more than three Players who will not be able to achieve this challenge within the time limit and with solid good reasons, since this is a big challenge and it needs lots of work and thoughts. But we would like to ask every player to do his/her best to fulfill the challenge before that time limit, so that we don't have to wait for those who waited for the very last minute to post their challenge like the last time. You can do it. Thank you and Good Luck.

Good luck,

Lynn and Fred

I hope this dead line is correct and we still have a week and an half to complete this chalenge, because I still didn't had time to do it. &mmm

mrbisonm

Unless you live within different dates, we still have 10 days to the deadline.
:thumbsup:

Fred