• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Threestooges and the BAT

Started by threestooges, January 14, 2008, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

If you follow Three Rivers Region (or if you are one of the people I have been pestering with BAT questions) you may have noticed that I've started tinkering with the BAT. If not... I've started tinkering with the BAT.

I have attempted a few things which I may show at some point, but right now I am working with David (dedgren) on some Central Pivot Irrigation (CPI) farm fields. I'll start to post some pictures of it's development, but most of what has been developed so far can be seen in 3RR. Below are a few of the pics of what is in progress so far.

This may be an easy question to answer, but when I create props to use in game, there are no shadows created by them. Is there something I'm missing, or is there some trick I haven't figured out yet? Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
-Matt (threestooges)

dedgren

Let me be the first to comment and thank you, Matt, for turning your talents toward doing stuff that I could only dream about accomplishing myself.  Your work so far is the centerpiece of the most buzz (500 views in two days and two pages of comments) that 3RR has ever seen.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

mattb325

Quote from: threestooges on January 14, 2008, 04:46:09 PM
This may be an easy question to answer, but when I create props to use in game, there are no shadows created by them. Is there something I'm missing, or is there some trick I haven't figured out yet? Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
-Matt (threestooges)

In the Maxis PIM - when you are making a prop, set the "is ground model" to "yes"/"true" (I can't remember exactly what the words are as I'm at my work PC).

For existing models, you can edit that property in the desc file easily enough in the SC4tool or the reader.

threestooges

-David: Thank you. I should thank you in return. If it were not for the CPi project it might have taken me a while to get enough to start a thread with.

-mattb: Thank you for that quick response. I've poked around with the SC4Tool and found the property. It works now and I should have the changes made shortly (after a bit of reading for law school though).

JBSimio

Welcome to the "club," Matt!  I love the CPI units!  It's one of those things that I see everywhere, but never knew I was missing until you posted it here.   &apls

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Pat

Matt that is very wonderful, I soo love the windmills...  I would still love to extend the offer to you if you want it of course....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

-Jon: Glad you like the CPI. It's existence is entirely up to David (dedgren) as he was looking for someone to BAT some together. I remebered that someone made an attempt at these some time ago, but I'm glad that I'm getting the chance to give them a shot myself.

-Pat: Glad you like the windmill. It should look better now that I actually put a shadow on it. I would be happy to accept the offer, but right now, I'm just going to work with the CPI stuff for a bit. After that all gets put together and I actually start producing some lot-able BATs I'll certainly need someone to lot them (as you will see in this little update, my lots could use some work).

Thanks again to everyone who has commented so far. Again, I invite any comments, criticisms etc. I wanted to post a little something to show some progress on some of the pieces. The windmill now has a shadow (thanks again Mattb) and I have rescaled my cattle guard a bit.

Pat

Matt that is awsome, when you are ready lemme know and we will get you setup on BLaM.... The lotting I can handle as well as a few others  ;) 

Other then that tidbit of news the newer windmill looks real good with the corrected shadowing of course... The lot yea could use a bit more of improvement, Instead of using the road texture, use a dirt track overlay on brown base texture other then that it looks nice!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

-Pat: I certainly will keep in touch with that. The lot is really just a testbed for the props. David is the one who will be lotting the whole thing. I just plopped a few things down to give everything some perspective.

I've had the chance to fiddle with a few more props. I've retextured the windmill into a slightly more modern steel design. The texture may be a bit bright on the blades, but I welcome opinions. I've also put together a water basin and just for fun, an outhouse (or tool shed  depending on the angle). Again, all comments and questions are welcome.

JBSimio

Nice job, Matt!  To be honest, I like this version of the windmill better... and I personally don't think the blades are too bright at all.  The shed looks good.  Perhaps you could rotate it 10-20 degrees, just to break up the normal grid alignment?   I like the water basin, but something looks off around the edges of it.  Maybe it's just the jpeg compression though.   :thumbsup:

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

threestooges

-Jon: Thanks for the thoughts on the windmill and shed. I went ahead and rotated the shed a few ways (15, 30, 45, 60, 75 degrees). It's a small prop, but it adds variety (and won't take up too much HD space). In regard to the basin, if you are referring to the apparent edges, then jpeg compression is what likely caused it. It should be smooth all around and there is a little spigot to fill it with, but I see what you mean in the pic. Strangely, there appears to be no shadow cast by it... I'll double check the desc to see, but that might also play a part.

Just wanted to post one more thing tonight before heading off to bed. Since this is a three day weekend around here, I wanted to take advantage of the extra time and step away from law school a bit (not entirely though...but enough) and took some time to tinker with a bridge I had been working on some time ago. The original covered bridge was fine but I thought improvements could be made. This is just the basic piece as I've yet to figure out a design for the base/pillar but I wanted to show it anyway.

-edit-: Since there haven't been any new posts since my last one, I thought I would save the sapce and just edit this post. I've made some more progress on the bridge. I think it may be getting close from the modelling standpoint, so I may be able to test it out in game shortly to see if cars can actually fit under it. Let me know what you think.

Pat

Matt that is a wonderful covered bridge...

kwakelaar

That is quite a nice looking bridge, the modelling is looking good, only thing I could suggest is maybe to try and make the roof texture a bit more scruffy.

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

threestooges

-Pat: Glad to hear you like it. I've had a chance to fiddle with it a bit more (as you'll see below).

-kwakelaar: I agree about the roof texture. I'll work on the textures a bit more as I have time. For what you'll see below, I just wanted to get it in game to see a) that I still remembered how to make one of these things and b) to see if everything fit together.

-RebaLynnTS: Thanks for the thought. I always wanted an alternative to the game's bridge and thought there could be some variety.

So I had the chance to work some more with the bridge (and soon it's off to read some more for law school) but before I do that I wanted to show what I have been able to get done. It's now a functional bridge (as shown by the cars) and for the most part, the pieces fit together. There are a few gaps, but that can be taken care of. One thing I have yet to figure out is how to get the shore/wave effects around the base part of the pillars (but then again I also need to extend them a bit more... only 20m long right now). Again, all comments are welcomed.

Pat

WoW Matt Im totaly blown away by that wonderful bridge and I think there is a tut here on doing just that, I dunno I could be wrong???

threestooges

-Pat: There is a tutorial for doing just that. I've used it before (and will use it again). It's not too big of a problem to iron out, it'll just take a bit of time. For some reason, looking at the pic, I think the pillars supporting the roof could be a bit higher, but I'm open to suggestions.

Pat

Yea I do agree there Matt that the pillars should be a tad bit higher and also that maybe then adding a guard rail or something to that effect...

jeronij

Wow Matt, excellent bridge  &apls ¡¡¡

I am glad to see that someone took the time to read that tutorial  ::)

I can see a firm candidate for a NAM compatible bridge in this model  ;) , but there are some minor adjustements which would help to make the bridge perfect:

The joints between the pieces do not fit. I'd suggest you to check this tutorial: How you get rid of the glitches between pieces which will solve that problem  ;D

If you used the IDs provided in the tutorial, the bridge may not be NAM compatible atm, so feel free to contac me (PM) so I'll give you proper ID's for everything  ;)

To make the shadows and wawes show, you need to add T21 exemplars for every bridge tile, but please dont do that until you have definitive ID's   $%Grinno$%

You may not be aware of the SC4D Bridge Engineering Department, where I invite you to have a look, and share your excellent bridge  :thumbsup:

I am glad to see the birth of a new great talent around our community   &apls

And yes, make the pylons taller and make the Maxis pylons fit with yours the best you can ;D ¡¡¡
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

threestooges

Replies:
-Pat: Well that settles it, the roof supports will be lengthened a little. I figure if I'm going to use odd-shaped/non-box LODs to show off the cars, I might as well really let them be seen. The current rail is actually 3m high right now, but it blends into the rest of the frame. Perhaps I can get it to stand out a bit more. Thanks for the comment, and I may have something for you shortly (see pic below)

-Jeroni: The tutorials are amazingly useful. The joints are fitting better now. I had read that tutorial before, but I kind of went on auto-pilot when I made the model/LOD overlap and did it backwards: the model extended past the LOD (but that was a quick fix). Thanks again for the IDs and other bridge making information. I hope more people will take the time to visit the bridge thread. It's a great resource on this site.

I've hit a bit of a wall with the bridge modding for right now. I know more or less what I need to do, but I'm not quite sure how (T21 exemplars, working with the Reader, etc) to do it all yet. I'll be tinkering around with it to see what I can do, but until then, the project won't be going to far for a little while. As far as the CPI system goes, I'm in conversation with David (dedgren) and may be constructing a few more things for it shortly. However, in the meantime, I took advantage of the fact that it wasn't raining here today to go for a bike ride. I live down in Costa Mesa, CA so rain is expected this time of year, but I was a bit surprised to see snow:

I took a few pics of some of the small/medium sized office buildings around the area too, so while the bridge and CPI have slowed down a bit, I've decided to start up something else:

As usual, all comments etc are welcome.