• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Yucatan Terrain Mod compatible with limitless beach mod

Started by apeguy, September 26, 2011, 04:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeguy

I was wondering if someone could modify the Yucatan Terrain Mod so that it's compatible with the DAT file in Teirusu's Beach Mod? I'm developing a tropical region, and the Yucatan Terrain Mod is just what I need, but I can't use it with limitless beaches, so if someone could make them compatible, or show me how to do it with the Reader, (or whatever tool is used for doing this sort of thing) I would very much appreciate it. :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

marsh

It's fairly simple to modify that. Open the dat. in reader and change the "Max Beach Width" and (if you want) the "Max Beach Altitude" options in the exemplar. The numbers are in units. So if you change the Max beach width to 5, it will be 5 tiles from the shore.

apeguy

Thanks for the quick reply. :thumbsup: So would the "Max Beach Width" that I would need to change be in the terrain mod or the beach mod? Also, If I was to change the Max Beach altitude to, for example 15 metres, would I still need to change the beach width in order for it to be limitless below that level? (say, 10 metres) Also, is there an actual value you can enter to make the beaches truly limitless, or is that done in another way? (Sorry about all the questions, I've never used the reader before &ops)

Thanks in advance. :)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

marsh

Yes, those properties are in heblem's terrain mod. A large city is 256 tiles. So that value would make it limitless ;) And yes, if you change the height, it will be all your beach mod below that level (if the width is limitless)

Lowkee33

I would recommend changing the values in Heblem's mod.  It's just a little easier in the long run.

Also to note some other differences:

WaterMinAlpha is 0x00 in the limitless mod and 0x38 for Yucatan.  If you want to see into your water better, then 0x00 is the way to go.  Values other than zero can also cause tearing between the water and beach, but people seem to be fine with that.

MaxTerrainHeight is 2500 for limitless and 5000 for Yucatan.  I would recommend using the 5000 value, there's really no reason not to... Except... basically there are altitude "belts" of textures.  The higher the max hieght, the wider these belts are (if you had snow at 2500 meters, and then increased to 5000, you would no longer have snow there).  The width of the belts is "TemperatureRangeFactor".  The lower this value, the faster the belts appear.

There are many more properties that you may change if you become interested.  If you click the "Terrain Exemplars Explained" link in my signature, you will see them. 

apeguy

I'm not sure if this is right or not, but while trying to change the MaxBeachWidth property from 0x00 to 256, it kept reverting back to 0x00, so instead I entered the value 0x256, and it didn't change back. Is that correct, or should it have worked with 256 and there's something else I'm missing or not doing? (The file I've opened in the Reader is the controller file that comes with the Mod)

EDIT: When I close the navigator and open it up and look at the terrain properties again, the 0x256 value has changed to 0x56. Here's a picture to show you what I mean:

Lowkee33

The values with "0x" in front of them are hexadecimal.  These are base 16, while decimal is base 10.  They can have digits between 0-F, and are often 8 digits long (0x1a7eb8a1 is an example).  For values that need not be greater than 255, there only need to be two decimals.

So, to write 10 in hex you need to write 0x0a, 15 is 0x0f, 16 is 0x10, 17 is 0x11, and 255 is 0xFF.  256 would be 0x100.  256 is also 0x00000100, but when you see something written as 0x100, you can assume that all digits before it were zeros.

Reader will often convert decimals to hex autmattically.  If you typed in "100", this should give you 0x64.

apeguy

It worked! Thanks for all your help guys, the perfect terrain mod for my region now works with my beaches! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D ;D