• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Interchange Guide - Moved To A New Home! (See the Child Board Above)

Started by Haljackey, January 23, 2009, 10:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you found this guide useful?

Yes- very useful
256 (82.3%)
Yes- somewhat useful
44 (14.1%)
No- too simplistic
4 (1.3%)
No- too confusing
7 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 311

Haljackey

Wow, that's terrific news Adam!

I will definitely check out the new mod you've attached, and I'm sure many, many others may be interested in downloading it too after the release of RHW 3.0.

I don't really understand the parameters you put in your post, but it was a very interesting read. 
-Glad to know you enjoyed APTX's bullet train slope mod!  I use that mod to replace my monorail network and use it for sloping (well that is before I installed your mod).

Anyways thanks again for taking interest in this guide!  Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

All the best,
-Haljackey

Haljackey

Hmm... it seems that the Photobucket account I used to make the first guide has exceeded its monthly bandwitdth.  Don't worry, I use multiple accounts, so not all guides are affected.

For the time being though, there's a way around this.  If you have the Firefox browser, simply right click the "bandwidth exceeded" image and select "view image".  The actual image should appear rather than the bandwidth meter.

Section Two:  Parclo Interchanges

As many of you know, Parclo Interchanges are my preferred interchange type.  Growing up in Ontario, Canada, the place where the Parclo Interchange was invented, its easy to see why I have a certain affinity to them.  They are used everywhere, and are only compromised if there is not enough room to accommodate them.

The term Parclo means partial cloverleaf, which is essentially what this interchange type is.  It's pretty much a cloverleaf interchange, but with two of the loop ramps removed, eliminating any weaving altogether.  The empty space where the removed loop ramps should be allow room for long acceleration/deceleration lanes and can straighten and elongate the outer ramps, greatly improving flow and safety features. 

The award-winning Parclo interchange has been well received, and is now used all over the world.  Parclos are difficult to construct for a ground/elevated highway in SC4, but the RHW is able to take advantage of this great interchange type.  I will show you several parclo setups throughout this guide.

Section 2.1:  The Parclo A-2 interchange.

The parclo A-2 is a interchange type consisting of 4 ramps, and is ideal to use in both rural and suburban areas.  Loop ramps are used to connect the arterial road to the highway, and long, straight ramps connect the highway to the arterial road, allowing for a smooth deceleration in speed off the highway instead of breaking to use the loop ramps.
-The parclo A-2 is designed to be easily upgraded to a Parclo A-4, which I will explain in a future guide.

Since I used the RHW-4 for all the diamond interchange guides, I'll do something different and use the RHW-6C for this guide. 

Getting the basic stuff out of the way...

Place your starter piece...

Drag the RHW using the RHW tool...

(Optional) Delete the starter pieces to create a RHW without any overrides.

And drag the stable network over it.

That's what a RHW-6C looks like.  Neat eh?

Parclo A-2 Interchange

First thing's first, construct your overpass:

Next, place your RHW-6C type "B" ramps like so:

And then extend the MIS ramps to loop around and intersect with the road:

The next thing that needs to be done is to draw RHW-2s next to the loop ramps you made.

Now place some more RHW-6C type "B" ramps to connect with the RHW-2s, changing them into the MIS.

...And there you go!  A parclo A-2 interchange!

Other combinations

Unlike diamonds, the parclo A-2 interchanges follow a standard design and thus are not as diverse.  The concept will remain the same for all variations.  However, I will show you some ways to diversify them, by changing the way they intersect with the road.

The easiest thing you can do is replace the last few tiles of the offramps with one-way roads before the intersection.  This will create an extra lane so exiting traffic now has right and left turning lanes.

You can also use the RHW-2/MIS splitter piece to make the ramps join together.

And you can also create turning lanes and traffic lights by replacing the last tile of the RHW-2 with a road.

Anyways, that will do it for the Parclo A-2.  There are many more parclo interchanges to come!

All the best,
-Haljackey

JoeST

Hey I just uploaded the latest tutorial to the wiki :)

Looking great in here, Interesting way of doing it

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

pagenotfound

Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

girlfromverona

Haljackey

Again, I would like to thank you all for your continued support!   :thumbsup:

And now I present to you my favorite interchange to make in SC4...

Section 2.2:  The Parclo A-4 interchange.

The parclo A-4 is a interchange type consisting of 6 ramps, and is ideal to use in both urban and suburban areas.  Dedicated ramps are used to connect the arterial road to the highway for each direction, and long, straight ramps connect the highway to the arterial road, allowing for a smooth deceleration in speed off the highway instead of breaking to use the loop ramps.
-The parclo A-2 is designed to be easily upgraded to a Parclo A-4, which is done frequently in real life.

This interchange is among the safest designs in the world, and one of the most economical to construct.   Invented in the 1970s, this interchange type is still being constructed on new highways today all over the world.

This interchange also looks fantastic in SC4, and is easy to construct.  How easy?  You'll see as I show a few ways to make one in this guide.

Let's mix it up a bit.  The Parclo A-4 is designed for urban and subrban use, so lets build a massive RHW-10 with a one tile median to display it!

Getting the basic stuff out of the way...

Place your starter pieces...

Drag the RHW using the RHW tool...

(Optional) Delete the starter pieces to create a RHW without any overrides.

And drag the stable network over it.

That's the RHW-10.  What a beast!

Parclo A-4 Interchange

The Parclo A-4 follows a very similar construction process compared to the Parclo A-2, but with some minor extensions which make it larger, safer, and of higher capacity.

Firstly, lets start by constructing your overpass.

Then, like the Parclo A-2, add entering RHW-10 type "B" ramps at the edge of the overpass like so:

Then just loop the MIS to connect with the avenue to complete the loop ramps.

Next, its time to make the offramps.  Extend the RHW-2, following the loop ramps you just constructed.

Then place the RHW-10 type "B" ramps at the edge of the RHW-2.

Now all you have to do is connect everything together.

There.  If you finished at this point, you'd have another complete Parclo A-2 interchange.  But we're not done yet, we gotta make it in to a Parclo A-4!

For the final two ramps, there are a number of locations where it can go.  Some perfer to place the entrance at/before the offramp intersections along the avenue, others want to save space and put it as close as possible.  I will show both examples in this guide.

Setup 1:  Standard

Extend the MIS leading from the offramp and angle it towards the highway like so:

Then just plop another two RHW-10 type "B" ramps to finish everything up!

Setup 2:  Space-Saver

-At the edge of the overpass, drag another pair of RHW-2s like so:

Then, add some more RHW-10 type "B" ramps at the edge.

Then just connect everything up!

That's a space-saving Parclo A-4!

Other Intersections

Here, I will show you some other intersection types you can make for the Parclo A-4.  There's really no guide to follow, just use your mind to create whatever you desire!

Using one-way roads to create signaled intersection as well as direct on-ramps to the RHW.

The same junction, but used with avenue intersections instead to create two full intersections.

I'll end this post now for organizational purposes but I'm not done with the Parclo A-4.  The next part of this guide will show you how to make a tight Parclo A-4 interchange.  Its complicated, but is much smaller in size compared to this!

Best,
-Haljackey

Haljackey

Continuing right onwards from the last post

Tight Parclo A-4 Interchange

Constructing the Parclo A-4 interchange smaller is possible, but the construction method is unlike anything I've displayed in this guide before.  That is why I have split this up into a separate post, but will still follow in the Parclo-A4 interchange guide for organizational purposes. 

We're going to start like this.  Place your avenue within 1 tile of the RHW-10, and plop a pair of RHW-10 type "A" ramps like so:

Then you are to immediately create a tight loop ramp exactly as displayed. 
-Do not curve the MIS until it has completely finished crossing the avenue or else you will not be able to construct an overpass.

Now, carefully construct your overpass.  Make sure your ave-over-MIS puzzle pieces match correctly or the interchange will not work.

With that done its now time to construct the offramps.  Just like outlined in the last post, construct a RHW-2 that follows the loop ramps you made.

Then place RHW-10 type "B" ramps at the edges.

And connect everything up.

All right, you now technically have a tight Parclo A-2 interchange.  Lets go and complete it.

As I already showed you two different ways to construct the final two ramps in the last post, I'll use the space-saver design only to keep this guide shorter in length.

At the edge of the overpass, of the existing onramps, construct two more RHW-10 type "B" ramps.

The last step involves simply dragging the MIS from the ramps to the avenue.

And there you have it!  A tight Parclo A-4 interchange!

Anyways, I hope this guide helps you out in one way or another.

All the best,
-Haljackey

Dexist

hey were to get those El Rhw???

and i can not see the pictures in the first few post

Haljackey

Quote from: Dexist on February 05, 2009, 08:07:22 AM
hey were to get those El Rhw???

and i can not see the pictures in the first few post

The El-RHW is included with the latest release of the RHW mod: RHW 3.0, the one I am using for this guide.  You need to cycle through the starter pieces tab until you find the El-RHW starter piece.  Check the readme for more information.

As for the pictures, the monthly bandwidth for the Photobucket account used for the first guide has been exceeded.  I'm assuming the pictures should be reset later on today so you can see them.
-For the time being though, there's a way around this.  If you have the Firefox browser, simply right click the "bandwidth exceeded" image and select "view image".  The actual image should appear rather than the bandwidth meter.

Hope this helps!

Best,
-Haljackey

Dexist

thanks man &apls
but these tut are on wiki right?

but i cant seem to find them under the turtorials section :thumbsdown:

Haljackey

No problem!

Yes all of the tutorials are either on the SC4 Wiki or are going to be on there soon.  You can find a list HERE
-I may attach that link to the sticky post for easy reference if you are having trouble locating it on the Wiki.

Best,
-Haljackey

Dexist

Quote from: Haljackey on February 05, 2009, 08:25:46 AM
The El-RHW is included with the latest release of the RHW mod: RHW 3.0, the one I am using for this guide.  You need to cycle through the starter pieces tab until you find the El-RHW starter piece.  Check the readme for more information.

As for the pictures, the monthly bandwidth for the Photobucket account used for the first guide has been exceeded.  I'm assuming the pictures should be reset later on today so you can see them.
-For the time being though, there's a way around this.  If you have the Firefox browser, simply right click the "bandwidth exceeded" image and select "view image".  The actual image should appear rather than the bandwidth meter.

Hope this helps!

Best,
-Haljackey

why you dont use imageshack btw?

el_cozu

about the parclo A4... I've seen cars not using it as it should be... they'd rather make a U turn on the next intersection (which is the MIS intersecting the avenue) and then make a right turn... than using the loop ramp that allows the car trafic to get into the highway... i hope i make myself clear

Haljackey

Quote from: Dexist on February 05, 2009, 10:55:03 AM
why you dont use imageshack btw?

Well, as you can see I use multiple images for these guides, and photobucket allows you to upload them all at once.  It saves me a lot of time compared with Imageshack.

Quote from: el_cozu on February 11, 2009, 07:38:43 AM
about the parclo A4... I've seen cars not using it as it should be... they'd rather make a U turn on the next intersection (which is the MIS intersecting the avenue) and then make a right turn... than using the loop ramp that allows the car trafic to get into the highway... i hope i make myself clear

Hmm... Did you make the off-ramp a 1-way intersection?  (Either with a MIS or OWR.)  If you do this, cars entering the highway cannot turn around and must turn right to use the ramp because all there is is right ramps. 

Perhaps you could include a visual?  I don't mind you posting it in this guide as I link all the guides in the stickied post. 

...And today's the 11th.  Photobucket told me that the pictures that have exceeded in bandwidth should reset sometime today.  Let's hope so!

Best,
-Haljackey

drjumbajookiba

There is a new style of diamond interchange called a Diverging diamond here is a picture: PS here is a link of a video of  one under construction in the US :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Diverging_Diamond.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANacKPO0Q4
Live Out loud For God

el_cozu

so.......... when's the next tutorial comming out? probably trumper interchanges?

Haljackey

Quote from: el_cozu on March 05, 2009, 10:35:09 AM
so.......... when's the next tutorial comming out? probably trumper interchanges?

Sorry for the long delay, I've been busy with RL.

Lately, most of my time spent on the SC4 community has been at Simtropolis.  If you didn't already know, the site is currently under upgrades to make it faster, more reliable and page-flip bug free (something we all enjoy at SC4D  :thumbsup:!)
-Roadblocks have been hit with the upgrades, and its a tedious task to overcome them.

Besides, most of the guides here contain pictures that have exceeded their bandwidth.  The next installment should come when they reset.

The next guide will continue with my parclo updates, keeping the thread organized.  Once I finish with RHW/surface road interchanges I will then focus on RHW/RHW interchanges like the trumpet you requested.

For the time being, see this guide which shows how to build a trumpet in great detail.

All the best,
-Haljackey

Korot

Doesn't the bandwidth counter reset at the beginning of the month? If so, then you've exceeded your bandwidth in the first half of the month, in fact, I think that you (well, we actually, since we look at them) have succeeded in doing this in the first quarter of the month. Really, you need a faster account.

AaronWuzHere

Not to burst any bubbles, but the pictures don't show up for me, says bandwith exceded..

Korot

Haljackey already said that in his post...