• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelis

The last picture is out of this world !!  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

brick_mortimer

Back to Africa, cool
(cue Africa by Toto :D)

The HD cars look awesome!
Can't wait to see the full update &apls
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

PaPa-J

That traffic jam is intense, glad I'm not in that mess.  Your water does look stunning.  Great Job!  &apls
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

mattb325

I love the chaos of the scene! You could easily do a "where's wally/waldo" in that street scene. Although, with the Nigerian Bank on the corner, I'm sure the scammers would find him first  $%Grinno$%

seraf

This game is 15 years old and yet you still manage to make those scenes look better than some of the new games  ;D  Your work is amazing  &apls &apls I love the busyness of Idumota Market.

korver

- UPDATE 69: Lagos -

Today, we're taking a trip to Lagos, Nigeria - home to some 21 million people, it's not just Africa's largest city but also one of the largest cities in the world. As you'll see in the pictures below - the streets here can get unbelievably crowded, and played a part in the country moving its capital to the more centrally located (and more spacious) city of Abuja in 1991. The city has continued to grow since then however - and has further developed into a financial center for all of Africa.

While today, Lagos is a city known for its sprawling markets, crowded housing districts and busy streets - there was a time when the city was a little less chaotic. Here in 1910, the city was just beginning to grow - with the first steam tramways crossing the streets.

By the 1960s and 1970s, the city was growing rapidly and quickly became known for its intensely crowded streets - and Nnamdi Azikiwe street in the heart of the city is one the city's busiest. Markets like Idumota Market spill out onto the streets and can make traveling anywhere quite difficult.

Another view of Nnamdi Azikiwe and Idumota Market in the 1980s. While the streets are usually crowded at all times of the day - it gets especially bad during rush hour, and you could be stuck in a traffic jam for hours behind an endless stream of yellow Danfos buses. There's a reason why they call them "go-slows".

We move forward to current times to take a look at one of the city's most iconic landmarks - the Lagos Central Mosque. Opened for worship in 1988, its distinctive Ottoman style minarets can be seen from nearly everywhere in the heart of the city. Close by is another one of the city's most important markets - the sprawling Balogun Market, widely recognized as one of the best places to buy fabrics in the city.

For our next sight, we're making a brief stop on the mainland - where it's a common sight to see wood merchants and sawmills dotting the shorelines. There's a number of bridges crossing the lagoon to get here - with the most stunning being the Third Mainland Bridge, which wraps around the perimeter of the shoreline for nearly 40,000 feet, and is usually filled with the city's iconic buses.

We head back South across Lagos Island to take a look at the city's Central Business District. Many of the country's most important corporations, financial institutions, and major commercial banks are headquartered here, and it serves as a financial center for all of West Africa.

For our last scene, we're taking a glimpse into the future to visit the city's Eko Atlantic development, being built on the city's reclaimed Atlantic shoreline on Victoria Island. This new development will house some 250,000 residents and include a variety of commercial and financial developments as well, leading some to call it a modern African Wall Street. While the development won't be completed for years to come - it still gives hope that it will transform the city into an even larger financial hub.

-korver

Special thanks to Maloskero for rendering some of his beautiful buildings in HD for this update! Much appreciated  :)

---

Replies

fantozzi: I might have forgotten the original chicken you suggested on my original Lagos picture, but I'm sure that comment inspired me to hide some livestock here and there occasionally in my ultra crowded scenes :) The prop pox sounds like it could work - but I think they'd want to have the Fix on hand first in case it got out of hand :P Appreciate the nice words. :thumbsup:

kelis: Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

brick_mortimer: Thanks for the nice words :thumbsup: Glad you enjoyed the HD cars, those were a pain to render but it was worth it :P

PaPa-J: While I'd like to visit the city one day - I would certainly not want to get stuck for hours in one of those traffic jams $%Grinno$% Thanks for the comment!

mattb325: Where's Waldo sounds like a great idea :D (I actually hid a couple props in there, but Fantozzi already found one of them :P) Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

seraf: Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed the crowded market scene :)

Alan_Waters

It's grandiose, Maestro!  &apls &apls &apls

manga rivotra

I was expecting to be even more blown away than usual when I read in the preview "It's one of my most ambitious custom lotting projects yet" ... and I must say that it goes well beyond hope. :o
I think you did one of your best updates, and in any case one of my favorites (and there are many who have marked my spirit).
I lack superlatives, but it is clear that I will come back to admire each image of this update often and with delight. &apls &apls &apls
It's really splendid! Thank you.  :thumbsup:

mattb325

Wow. Where do I start!!!! :thumbsup:

Did you texture that mosque? The gold dome is just beautiful. I know that many of the buildings in the pictures come from the 3d warehouse but if you ever get bored of MDs,  then I think you would make an excellent batter   &blush

The 3rd mainland bridge is incredible but that waterfront scene of Victoria island just blows me away. Just incredible. It must have taken hours  &apls

PaPa-J

The Central Mosque is outstanding, love the work you put into it. The Third Mainland Bridge is beautiful, still can't figure out how you work the network.  Great job!
smile more, laugh more,
about things.

Simmer2

You keep raising the bar!!

I think we can all agree that "you won SC4" :D

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

brick_mortimer

korver

Replies

Alan_Waters - Thank you very much! :)

manga rivotra - Thanks for the nice words, I'm glad you enjoyed the update :)

mattb325 - Thanks for the comment and kind words :) Yeah, a lot of the buildings in this update had to be BATed from scratch - unfortunately all I could find on 3d warehouse for Lagos was a bunch of textured boxes lol. A couple props were "re purposed" from models I got off the internet like the Danfos vans (which I still had to retexture later on) - but other than that, I had to do a lot of the models from scratch like the Mosque, the building with the Coca Cola sign, the Nigerian Bank building, the Bridge, the ground props for Eko Atlantic and a couple other small things.

PaPa-J - Thanks for the nice words, glad you enjoyed the mosque :) That bridge is actually just a model of a bridge I created with a bunch of car props modeled on. While I've been doing a mix of functional and lot editor scenes recently - nothing in this particular update is functional unfortunately. It's mainly a showcase of the potential of Lot Editor/MMPs/custom BATs.

Simmer2 - Thanks for the nice words :thumbsup:

brick_mortimer - :thumbsup:

korver

- UPDATE 70: U.S. Skylines -

Today, we're returning to the United States to cover a few more of the country's most stunning skylines. After already taking a look at the iconic skylines of New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago in previous updates - we'll be viewing St. Louis, Portland, Houston, and Philadelphia today.

St. Louis, Missouri

We begin in the Midwest - with our first stop being St. Louis. This major city sits right on the Mississippi River and is home to the iconic Gateway Arch, which towers 630 feet above the surrounding skyscrapers. It holds the title of being the tallest man made monument in the United States and serves as a symbol of the city's past - a true "Gateway to the West" for pioneers.

Portland, Oregon

Located in the United States' Pacific Northwest, Portland has one of the United States' most unique skylines with a mix of historic buildings and post modern skyscrapers like the 509 foot tall KOIN Tower. The "City of Roses" sits right under the shadow of Mt. Hood, and can offer some stunning panoramas:

It's usually rainy here, but snowfalls can happen during the winter months - it's always a special sight.

Houston, Texas

We're headed to the South for our next city - Houston. During the late 1970s and early 1980s, oil production was booming and the city's skyline saw massive growth, with the 1,002 foot tall JPMorgan Chase Tower (1982) and 992 foot tall Wells Fargo Bank Plaza (1983) rising above the rest. A massive oil glut however soon followed and the city's skyline became stagnant for decades - but construction has picked back up in recent years.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Our last stop today will be on the East Coast - where we'll visit the "City of Brotherly Love" and home of the Philly Cheesesteak - Philadelphia. Once the capital of the United States, it's a city noted for its historic buildings like Independence Hall and Philadelphia City Hall - but in recent years, the skyline has been growing rapidly as well. With the 1,121 ft tall Comcast Technology Center (2018) and the 974 ft tall Comcast Center (2008) joining an already impressive skyline - it's truly one of the country's most stunning skylines.

Special thanks for the photographs used in this update:

St Louis night, CCSA2.5, Daniel Schwen | Portland at Dusk, CCSA2, Alejandro Rdguez | Houston night, CCSA2, eflon | Philadelphia from South Street Bridge July 2016 panorama 3, CCSA3, King of Hearts/Maps and stuff. Each photograph has the same license as the original, was resized, sharpened/blurred, and given a filter, border and vignette.

Don't forget to like and comment!

-korver

siemanthepieman

I always enjoy seeing the real life inspiration/locations for what people create in game. It's easy to see why you were inspired by the shots you have shown. Flawless recreations as well. A great post all round (as always).

reddonquixote

Great idea for a picture series  :thumbsup:

Very well executed, of course  &apls &apls &apls
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

PaPa-J

Being from the mid-west I like the St. Louis shots. St. Louis is on the other side of the state from me but I have been there and through there many times. Your recreation is spot on.  :thumbsup:  Great work.  &apls &apls
smile more, laugh more,
about things.

mattb325

Excellent recreations! I love seeing the real-life and SC4 pics side-by-side  ;D

brick_mortimer

Glad you picked less obvious US cities to show your amazing skill.

Of these cities, I've only visited St. Louis, but it looks perfect!
Even Bush Stadium with the red seats in the picture, cool  ()stsfd()

Portland, Houston and Philly are on our to-do to-travel list :)

korver

Replies

siemanthepieman: Thanks for the nice words, glad you enjoyed the SC4 pics and the RL pics. :thumbsup: I might to that a little more from time to time, to show off some of my inspirations.

reddonquixote: Thanks for the comment, glad you liked it! :)

PaPa-J: Thanks for the nice comment! Hopefully I'll be able to do a few more scenes from the midwest in the future ;)

mattb325: Thank you very much for the comment! Glad you liked the side by side comparison.

brick_mortimer: Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it :) Same here - I'd love to visit a few of those cities one day.