• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLexible UnderPasses (FLUPs)

Started by Chrisim, December 25, 2008, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travismking

tbh I think its not necessary, because STR should be used in rural areas, where you usually see at-grade crossings

Kitsune

Quote from: Chrisim on September 14, 2010, 03:18:15 PM
I guess you installed a recent NAM (v29, or the version from May 2010)? Have a look in your HSR rotation ring ...
You did not miss anything. Such pieces are only created if somebody asks, and you are the first to ask. I am wondering whether STR-FLUPs make sense. STR is used in rural or industrial areas, and in both cases it is unusual to build underpasses (in real life). Do we really need road underpassing single rail tracks?

We need something, and sometimes I do find the need because industrial side lines have box and tank cars sitting there waiting, which in a cramp area could block a rail crossing. And also, somtimes I find myself having parallel str that would be nice to cross.
~ NAM Team Member

woodb3kmaster

Honestly, there is nothing in the NAM that is really necessary. Every component of the NAM exists because someone wanted it to. If someone wants to build underpasses below STR, why should our prejudices about how STR "should" be used prevent them? Besides which, I personally have driven through underpasses of exactly this sort, so the idea that a FLUP under STR piece wouldn't be realistic is patently false (not that anyone has tried to say so; I'm merely pre-empting any such attempts). I, for one, would be quite happy to build underpasses below STR if it were made possible to do so.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

zakuten

Well, I must have something wrong with the install; sorry about that. I'll go mess with it and see if it appears.

As for the under- STR, I could see it being used at the sides of more complex junctions and such; not so much by itself, but for example, for a railyard's underpass.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Gringamuyloca

under/over passes crossing single track rail are common around here as the 'rail' in this neck of the woods is just one track... unless going into a yard/siding... and some switches might have parallel tracks for a short distance anyways.... ...around here the thing that I never see is/are miles of 'double tracks'

... maybe only in Canada eh?  $%Grinno$%
Tamara

Blue Lightning

We have plenty of stuff underpassing STR here in Ohio, seeing that most tracks here are STR.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

MandelSoft

Quote from: Gringamuyloca on September 15, 2010, 01:05:25 PM...around here the thing that I never see is/are miles of 'double tracks'

... maybe only in Canada eh?  $%Grinno$%
In the Netherlands it's just the other way around: there are more dual rail stretches than single rail stretches here. The railline The Haugue - Germany is dual track along it's whole length of more than 150 km!

But let's not get too much off topic, don't we?  ;)  Anyway, even though I don't use STR myself, it's glad that at least you have the option to make a underpass under the STR.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Chrisim

Quote from: mrtnrln on September 15, 2010, 01:17:46 PM
But let's not get too much off topic, don't we?  ;)
This was an interesting discussion, thank you. It tells that things can be different in different parts of the world.
In conclusion, I put road underpasses below single track on the list to do.

What other FLUPs pieces would you like to see as
Quote from: Gringamuyloca on September 14, 2010, 03:25:31 PM
Need.. no  $%Grinno$%
...would like.. yes  :D
(I like this  :thumbsup: ) in a future version?

Kitsune

Quote from: Chrisim on September 15, 2010, 03:19:18 PM
This was an interesting discussion, thank you. It tells that things can be different in different parts of the world.
In conclusion, I put road underpasses below single track on the list to do.

What other FLUPs pieces would you like to see as (I like this  :thumbsup: ) in a future version?

Are there chances of a neighbour connection piece too? Would allow us to do underwater neighbour connections...
~ NAM Team Member

jdenm8

You would still need to drag over the border. If you lower to the sealevel to its lowest height though, this should be possible as the FLUPs are two-way (and you can drag the network across then). Also, just using two T-Junction pieces at the border would act the same as a neighbour connection piece where you have two one-way tunnels.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Gringamuyloca

Quote from: Chrisim on September 15, 2010, 03:19:18 PM

What other FLUPs pieces would you like to see in a future version?

...well.. a diagonal STR over road would be nice to have too  ;)
Thank you very much for taking this into consideration!

May all your picnics be ant free!
Tamara

Chrisim

No more suggestions? Everybody else is happy with the status quo?

Maybe a bit late to say, but the August 2010 NAM (some call it version 29) contains several switch fixes for FLUPs. Driving with UDI through tram-FLUPs is now possible. If you use FLUPs, better use the newest NAM.

BigSlark

I'd like some STR FLUP's pieces, but other than that, I'm very pleased with your work. Well done!

Peace,
Kevin

jdenm8

Hm... How about some gradual on-slope pieces? Like where Road bites into a hill, but with straight walls on either side. Like what we have, but up a hill, instead of into the ground.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

xannepan

Great work here!

Is it possible to have a FLUP for one of the NWM pieces. I'm thinking of the MAVE-4 (Medianless Avenue, 4 lanes) piece, with an underpass for the two middle lanes, while the 2 outer lanes continue on ground level...

Alex

jp

I would like to suggest flups under avenue roundabout. that would be very useful in many places. and thanks for everything you have done so far! :)

pierreh

I already asked for it a while ago and got no reaction at all so I'll renew my request: a ramp for tram-in-road (or tram-on-road, or both), similar to the one existing for tram-in-avenue, i.e. a ramp for the road including the tram tracks in the middle of it.

z

io_bg

I think diagonal ramps would be cool although, I guess, they'll be more difficult to make. We'll have to wait ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

smileymk

Quote from: Douzerouge on September 20, 2010, 02:03:05 AM
I already asked for it a while ago and got no reaction at all so I'll renew my request: a ramp for tram-in-road (or tram-on-road, or both), similar to the one existing for tram-in-avenue, i.e. a ramp for the road including the tram tracks in the middle of it.

I'm 95% sure that's in the NAM already. You know the road/avenue ramps where it says "Rotate for other ramps"? If you rotate one of those enough times (sorry, can't remember which one), you'll get a T-RAM ramp.

Realistic Cities for Dummies
Step-by-step tutorials on every single aspect of realistic city-building.

FacebookYouTube