• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLexible UnderPasses (FLUPs)

Started by Chrisim, December 25, 2008, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpj_starfleet

Before I created the city I mapped out on a practice region what I wanted, trial and error till I found out what to do, I used the white tiles to the edge of the water then the transparent tiles under water, the trick is to create a gradual slope from the bottom of the bay/river to just under the water line were the tunnel reaches the land, you can have a small drop off but if it is to much then U-Drive vehicles disappear when they hit the bottom! I also elevated the land a bit on the bottom under water so you can see the route more clearly, just use the Water Pollution view to lay your tiles.  If you already have a city started I would suggest getting the God Terraforming in Mayor Mode by Warrior2 http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1711
that way you can change the land without spending any money! as far as covering the tiles on land that was all done in the Lot Editor with great overhanging props by CSX.  I hope this helps.

puresim

Really nicely done jpj_starfleet, thanks for explaining how you made it work. And do show us what you do with the other side when it's finished!

dragonshardz

I really wish we had rail FLUPs, those'd be handy in city centers. The current Rail-Subway adapters work fine for PAX traffic, but freight traffic is usually blocked.

If it was done correctly, we could use the current Rail-under-Road ramps as the entrance, and connect rail FLUPs to them and our RUR networks.

z

The Underground Rail network should work fine for both passengers and freight.

dragonshardz

Yes, it does, but I'd love to have pieces similar to FLUPs available.

RUR: stands for Rail-under-Road, but I mean Underground Rail. My mistake.

JereUsa1

Is there any progress on FLUPS under the RHW highways....?

six9nc

Got the new NAM installed and did some initial testing in an undeveloped city. I noticed my flup avenue will not plop on top of my avenue. The rest worked ok.  I just want to know if its operator error or what.  I am very new to these puzzle pieces cause I didn't use them in the last nam.  I did the cleanitol file and double checked the readme files before testing. any direction to any "newbie" tutorials for puzzle, RHW and flups pieces would be just fine.
"The man who sleeps on the floor never falls out of bed"...Martin Lawrence

FrankU

I am not sure I understand you correctly. But if you indeed tried to plop the avenue entrance on top of an avenue than it is correct. This does not work. You should plop the entrance on an unoccupied piece of land. Then you connect it with the avenue. Then you can plop the flup-pieces next to the low end of the entrance.

rstarks

yes the F.L.U.P is very useful for making tunnels under the water, but it has a few limitations.

1. its hard to place F.L.U.P pieces under the water far off shore [ even in a straight line] where the water isn't transparent anymore,

2. if you wish to make a connection between F.L.U.P pieces that aren't lined up on the grid, then  you have to use curve pieces ( which take away the realism because tunnels can't curve that drastically under water). some diagonal pieces would fix this

just offering some insight,
Starks  :P

Blue Lightning

Well, actually:

1. Go into water pollution view, then place the pieces. The water will be transparent.
2.Using the curve pieces in a zig-zag pattern will yield a diagonal behavior (the sims will move along it like a diagonal)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

puresim

rstarks that just isn't true in my opinion.

As Blue lightning points out water pollution view removes the water for placement, and if you're going to talk realism why not look at subway system or even rail - all of which curve 'drastically'.

FLUPS is consistent in realism with other transportation types, and in my opinion is a very valuable addition.

JDOG4545

My udi disappears when i try to drive through one. what is wrong?

Andreas

This is normal, and it's also mentioned in the instructions.
Andreas

k808j

Andreas

You think it would be possible for FLUP and ARIP to collaborate on a project since they are talking about having vehicles driving under airport terminals? (Just a thought  ::))

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

fdasavcxz

Chrisim

Quote from: JDOG4545 on April 17, 2010, 01:32:48 PM
My udi disappears when i try to drive through one. what is wrong?
UDI vehicles are usually visible in greenish color when below surface.
If your UDI mission stops in a FLUPs tunnel, something is plopped incorrectly and the underpass is interrupted. If you post an image here, we could possibly tell.
After the next NAM, I will publish something that will allow to better visualize the integrity of these underpasses.

Quote from: k808j on April 17, 2010, 02:52:30 PM
You think it would be possible for FLUP and ARIP to collaborate on a project since they are talking about having vehicles driving under airport terminals? (Just a thought  ::))
Certainly. Is ARIP = RMIP? Who would be the contact person?

k808j

It is ShadeSlayer and RMIP is another project dealing with the runways themselves I believe, while ARIP deals with the roads on the airport.

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

strucka

Not the same thing, but (as Chrisim probably thought) is from the same section.

Andreas

Short answer: No. FLUPs are network tiles (puzzle pieces) like any other network, and buildings can't occupy the same space. What you could do is using an overhanging building (there are a couple of those, esp. diagonal buildings) and place it partially above the FLUPs.
Andreas