• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLexible UnderPasses (FLUPs)

Started by Chrisim, December 25, 2008, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allan_kuan1992

Quote from: Chrisim on January 31, 2009, 07:25:32 AM
Like this?
You can do it now. The height difference must be about 10 meters. Then, use Buddbud's TE-Lot (but be careful to avoid crashs to desktop - don't hover puzzle pieces over TE-Lots). Maybe we shall publish a variation of Smoncrie ground lifter, that lifts exactly 10 meters. It would make it easier.

This is old, but there is a way to work around the 10 m temporarily.

If you look at ShadowAssassin's hole-digging lots they have the amount of raise or drop listed on them. Taking that into consideration you can use several hole-diggers or lifters in succession to make the 10 m raise. If i remember clearly the lots required are the 14 m raise, the 12 m drop, and finally the 8 m raise. The math part of this should be simple =P

- Allan Kuan

Andreas

Quote from: danielra96 on June 25, 2009, 06:56:08 PM
i've noticed that when you drive a car into a FLUP it disappears for a moment then goes underground.
Does anyone know why?

Because Marrast's ramp models don't have custom LODs. It's just a visual glitch, though, the ramps itself work fine.
Andreas

Swamper77

Quote from: Andreas on June 26, 2009, 12:33:47 AM
Because Marrast's ramp models don't have custom LODs. It's just a visual glitch, though, the ramps itself work fine.

And if they did, you would see a sidewalk texture in the middle. Only Lots are capable of handling custom LODs for objects that extend underground.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Dexist

hey are there any flups for under the RHW??

Blue Lightning

No not yet but they are under development

Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Chrisim

Quote from: Andreas on June 26, 2009, 12:33:47 AM
Marrast's Gmax models are lost, but from the S3D files, I believe, it's clear that he used a custom LOD: a plate (a very thin cuboid) located just above the surface. All textures are projected onto this plate. When an automata drives down the ramp, it disappears below the plate.

Quote from: Swamper77 on June 26, 2009, 12:49:43 AM
And if they did, you would see a sidewalk texture in the middle. Only Lots are capable of handling custom LODs for objects that extend underground.
Your statement is technically correct, but it does not apply here. You do not see a sidewalk texture in the middle because the plate (custom LOD) is above the texture. Look at the S3D model in the Reader. It does not extend into the subsurface.

So, if somebody is going to create more ramps for the FLUPs, he would have to follow the same approach as Marrast: a very thin cuboid (box) just above the surface as custom LOD.

Quote from: TmiguelT on June 25, 2009, 12:12:35 PM
i got one simple question... how do you connect the ONE WAY road FLUP and the AVENUE FLUP? i tried to use them but i never get a path of commute in there
You connect them with the same FLUPs puzzle pieces that you use for roads. If you cannot get traffic using it, there is either an interruption (a gap, a tile without FLUPs piece - look for the tiny manhole covers) or traffic is taking other routes that are shorter. If the problems remains, please post a picture.

RebaLynnTS

If I knew a bit more about making network models, I could do it. The modeling part is easy, the rest, I just don't know how to do.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

joelyboy911

Will there ever be rail FLUPs? I know that it is highly unrealistic to expect a train to go down that dip, but perhaps the same model, stretched out about 3 times its present length? I would like to use it for some underground/undersea things. Also the style seen in the pictures above, the equivalent of an on-slope puzzle piece would be nice addition to the FLUP repertoire, made to look matching with similar textures/design elements.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

JoeST

Quote from: joelyboy911 on June 27, 2009, 02:09:00 AM
Will there ever be rail FLUPs? I know that it is highly unrealistic to expect a train to go down that dip, but perhaps the same model, stretched out about 3 times its present length? I would like to use it for some underground/undersea things. Also the style seen in the pictures above, the equivalent of an on-slope puzzle piece would be nice addition to the FLUP repertoire, made to look matching with similar textures/design elements.
you could also see if you could get permission from caribou, who has a nice set of rail-underground models.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

kassarc16

There's already the underground rail pieces, but I don't believe there's a blank terrain piece, mostly under-road pieces.

joelyboy911

Yes, there is, but the ramp is -I feel- ugly. the FLUP ramps of today are quite aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

z

Some of us on the NAM Team are working on extending the current underground rail system, including adding FLUPS-style underwater crossings.

joelyboy911

SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

JoeST

I have to say, I like the ingeniousness of the tab rings :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

tristan4eva

Could somebody make a FLUP pieces that can go underneath avenue roundabouts so i can make underpasses?

Thanks,
Tristan

Chrisim

Quote from: RebaLynnTS on June 26, 2009, 10:48:27 PM
If I knew a bit more about making network models, I could do it. The modeling part is easy, the rest, I just don't know how to do.
Actually, it does not need to be a network model. Marrast's ramps are also normal models and we have included them to the NAM via T21-exemplar. It would be fine, as long as a custom LOD is applied, as discussed above.

Quote from: tristan4eva on June 28, 2009, 03:27:28 AM
Could somebody make a FLUP pieces that can go underneath avenue roundabouts so i can make underpasses?
That would be really useful. You are thinking about something like this (it is not functional!!!)?

To make it functional, we would have to agree on a standard model for the statue (or any other 2x2 tiles large model).
And it would take some time to create ...

Diggis

Chris, is that centre piece considered a network peice?  If so we could do a set of different T21's so users get a different one each time.

Alternativly we could make it a prop family, and that way users could add what ever props they wanted by just adding the family ID to a prop.

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: Chrisim on June 28, 2009, 06:57:21 AM
Actually, it does not need to be a network model. Marrast's ramps are also normal models and we have included them to the NAM via T21-exemplar. It would be fine, as long as a custom LOD is applied, as discussed above.

In that case all I need to do is get the textures to match up. Will see what I can do.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

CasperVg

Alternatively, couldn't you have the paths for the avenue underpass run under the actual roundabout paths, and thus keep the center piece the same way as it is with the default roundabouts? The 'traffic arrows' (can't remember the actual name) would look a bit odd, but (as far as I know) the actual would be functional, while the centre piece would still be completely free-to-choose, or am I mistaken?

EDIT: Here's an image I whipped up quickly

allan_kuan: Yeah, I understand the issue. However (and again, I'm not sure), I think you could have the paths not running identical at all (like in the picture, but it was done for clarity here), so they wouldn't switch. As they're underground (you wouldn't see the automata), you could probably even set the underground paths to be as sharp as you want, so they only just do not touch the borders of the inner tiles.

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

allan_kuan1992

I can understand that concept. However we then hit another limitation... of the game not recognizing the different path heights and therefore allowing traffic to jump between the two.

- Allan Kuan