• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Signage Piece Mod (SPM)--Now SCoPE (Signage and Cosmetic Piece Extension)

Started by Tarkus, April 06, 2008, 08:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Well, imperialmog and bob56, that's exactly what this mod does--it makes it so you don't have to plop the signs next to the Road, but rather, you're placing a special puzzle piece that has the sign built onto it, putting the sign on the same tile as the Road.  It basically eliminates the need for Lots.

-Alex (Tarkus)

imperialmog

Now in using the puzzle piece, is it still able to allow for a lot to grow next to the piece for example.

X= RCI Lot
P= Puzzle piece

XXXP

Will the lot grow or will it show there is no transit connection? I do remember some in the past where it didn't allow the lot to grow, so I wondered if that ended up being resolved. Though I can think of a way around it would be that if a lot doesn't face that side, put a non RCI, or a wider lot.

Now is there a version of the mod up yet and did you see my comment on how you can make a large number of signs and not make a long menu?

io_bg

I think RCI will grow next to them. These are like the smooth NAM curves (at least I think that they are ;)) so zones should grow next to these signs. The only problem will be the sidewalks (is it possible to have puzzle pieces that can have sidewalks if there are zones next to them?)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Swamper77

Imperial Mog an io_bg,

Since puzzle pieces are extensions of the existing networks, they will allow development next to them. For the roadway type networks, street, road, oneway road, and avenue puzzle pieces can have development next to them and the developments will not "abandon due to lack of road connection". They will still abandon for other reasons, like they normally do.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Tarkus

imperialmog, the way I'm able to avoid having a long menu is that the signs are all put into a Prop Family and attached to the puzzle piece via Type21 Exemplar.  The signs are selected at random, though, so it can take a little trial and error to get just the sign you want.

There is only one piece per network, and since they are puzzle pieces and not Lots, it's possible to put them into a single TAB Loop (like other NAM puzzle pieces), so they are condensed down to a single menu button on the Roads Menu.  Thus, there's no need for MML Construction Lots.

-Alex (Tarkus)

LE0

Wouldnt it just be more practical to make signs Mayor Mode ploppable like in 3RR? ???

But then you couldnt bulldoze the signs, or am I wrong?
Leoland coming Spring 2009

Tarkus

LE0, good question.  I think there are some advantages and disadvantages to both.  The SPM stuff will tend to work a little better in developed areas, whereas there are advantages to Mayor Mode signs in undeveloped areas. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

nerdly_dood

I would also like to mention that with Mayor-mode ploppable signs, you certainly can bulldoze the signs - but you would also have to bulldoze anything else on the same tile at the same time, and you can't plop them on the same tile occupied by a road, so puzzle pieces are better and more flexible IMO.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

j-dub

In the event of warning signs though, I think those would make sense to be on the texture variation that they belong to, rather then puzzle pieces. I say that because there is some mod being developed that has do not enter signs, keep right, yield, and intersection warnings. However I noticed plain T and plain X piece was made, without any traffic control device not for this project but maybe those pieces, could be re done for SPM, so it could do intersections? Those would need to be stop sign road intersections, unless the pieces I just mentioned could have the new stop signs added to them, instead of using mayor mode to do so. There also is a pre-existing experimental puzzle pieces that go over ortho and diagonal roads. In actuality since there are other puzzle pieces made that are just 1x1 different variation flat roads, would those be merged to this project? It seems like the same concept.

Tarkus

Been working on things here off and on . . . including a standard US set:

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

Hey Alex that looks wonderful!!! me likie!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

deathtopumpkins

Hmmm... It appears that Oregon and Virginia use different signs! :P here the number's between the words speed and limit.

But still, that looks fantastic! :thumbsup:
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

j-dub

Not that I am a fan of those types of signs, I must say you can tell what it is in game, and it looks like the scale is right. So far this SPM looks more like a Speed Limit Marking Mod instead.

Tarkus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 15, 2009, 09:22:52 PM
Hmmm... It appears that Oregon and Virginia use different signs! :P here the number's between the words speed and limit.

Actually, that's not an Oregon speed sign either. :D  In Oregon, most of our signs omit the word limit entirely--which, being near-sighted, helps, as it leaves more room for the numbers:

I haven't seen that design you've described--would you happen to have a pic or a Google Street View location?  I can easily add that in.

Quote from: j-dub on January 16, 2009, 02:05:48 PM
So far this SPM looks more like a Speed Limit Marking Mod instead.

At this point, it kind of has ended up that way.  However, the option to include other signs from other creators does exist.  Once the mod is released, I'll be posting tutorials on how to do so. 

I've also begun work on adding diagonal SPM pieces into the mod as well.  I'll keep you posted. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

deathtopumpkins

Actually, I cannot find any examples... I'm sure I've seen them, but I've found a few that are, in fact, with both lines of text above. I guess I was imagining that design..  ???

j-dub

You mean like this? I found some Examples, and do Not request these, but I thought they were interesting.

Speed limit 12.5
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeniholland02/397991440/

Speed limit 17
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2309/2148449796_bfe3e7dc23.jpg?v=0

Speed limit 23
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31079847@N05/2967384766/

Speed limit 143
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/487395216_104d4c05eb.jpg?v=0

deathtopumpkins

Nope... and I still haven't found one on the internet or in Google Earth, so I'm guessing that I imagined that... it's really got me puzzled.

That's an interesting speed limit though... 19.5 ???

Tarkus

j-dub, thanks for sharing those pics.  They were quite entertaining.  The "Speed Limit 23" in particular, since it appeared to be on an actual public street.

At any rate, the diagonals are in place. 

I've been working on getting Maxis Highway versions in as well, since some folks had requested that.

-Alex (Tarkus)

j-dub

Hmmmmm. Maxis highway huh? Well since my Maxis highways have shoulders on the ground, for the ground, the signs should go next to the highway on not be on top of the walls. Because if you were like me and had the Maxis highway with shoulders, the sign would seem awkward because it would be in the highway instead of next to it.

Tarkus

j-dub, I take it you're using Maarten's (mrtnrln) HRS?  It should be fairly easy for me to make an SPM support file for the HRS users--I'll check with Maarten about it, since I know he's working on a new version.

-Alex (Tarkus)