• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivo_su

My opinion is that the medians did Alex look pretty weird and I do not like them. The idea that Ganaram comes with a median of T21 Maxi's I like very much and I want to congratulate him for that. I definitely think it needs medium light and shrubs (not trees). Naturally lamps may have sidewalks on both sides, but I also like to have lights in the middle. Once again I welcome the idea of ​​Ganaram with an open heart and hope to build on it to see it light.

Regards,
Ivo

jdenm8

Okay, let me clear this up...
The T21s that both Tarkus and Ganaram use are privately-made ones and they posses the only copies.

AVE-6 will most likely be similar to the T21s for AVE-2, with minimal decoration beyond simple lighting.

Also, while it does make perfect sense to only have lights in the median on AVE-6, it's simply not possible due to how AVE-6/AVE-8 and TLA-7/TLA-9 work, which all share components (Think RHW-6C/RHW-8C but with a second kind of median, that's kind of how AVE-6/AVE-8 and TLA-7/TLA-9 works)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jondor

Quote from: jdenm8 on August 07, 2011, 06:43:05 AM
Okay, let me clear this up...
The T21s that both Tarkus and Ganaram use are privately-made ones and they posses the only copies.

AVE-6 will most likely be similar to the T21s for AVE-2, with minimal decoration beyond simple lighting.

Also, while it does make perfect sense to only have lights in the median on AVE-6, it's simply not possible due to how AVE-6/AVE-8 and TLA-7/TLA-9 work, which all share components (Think RHW-6C/RHW-8C but with a second kind of median, that's kind of how AVE-6/AVE-8 and TLA-7/TLA-9 works)

It is possible to have lights (or anything else) in the AVE-6/7/8 median with two caveats.

One: Whatever is there will be shared by all three networks since they share a median tile.
Two: Whatever is there will always be there and will not change depending on zoning and wealth.  The median tile is road locked, it can't touch any zoning to have wealth or zone dependent T21s.

The first rule applies to the outer tiles as well, whatever is there will be shared among the AVE-6/7 and TLA-7/8 or AVE-7/8 and TLA-8/9 depending on which tile.  Since the outer tiles do touch zones however, they can have zoning or wealth dependent T21s.

Unfortunately, even offset props attached to the outer tiles can't get around this because you would end up with median planters (or whatever) in the middle of the turn late on the TLAs.  The reverse is also true since you can't be sure from the middle tile how wide the roadway is on the outer tiles, unless you simply put the street lights being in position on the sidewalk of the wider roadway and deal with them being out a bit far on the narrower one.

I had to deal with this for my railroad crossings since that involves props interacting across multiple tiles.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Kuewr665

Is the secret weapon puzzle piece transitions without starters?

ps2owner

Just wondering, Is it possible to create a version of the TLA-5 that has highway type speeds? Like the roads in This canyon:

You can see that some of it is RHW-2, but some of it is TLA-5 . The speed ranges from 65, to 50 and 40 at lowest.
I think its American fork canyon, or Spanish fork canyon. Not sure, though.
39°59'59.06" N 111°28'49.66" W is the location. Type that into google earth.

j-dub

Its not like your going to get stopped for changing the TLA's speed yourself, but the TLA-5 just has one speed set to it, its not like you can build the TLA-5 in different sections where the speed limit physically changes, due to game limitations. What still is on the master plan is being able to choose puzzle pieces for whatever speed limit signs you want to see. This may or may not be included as part of this project, but in any event, speed limit signs in SC4 are only for decorative purposes, unless otherwise posted.

Tarkus

While a "TLRHW-5" has been requested a fair bit, I still have not worked out the best way to implement such a network, and it is not a high priority at this time.  As the NWM does not deal with RHW-based networks (aside from transitions and intersections), that'd probably be more of an RHW project.  The only additional networks currently planned for release sometime after Version 2.0 are as follows:

-TLA-8
-TLA-9
-AVE-7
-AVE-8
-ARD-4 (3+1 setup)
-OWS-1 (OWR-1 converted to Street base)

Also under consideration:
-AVE-3
-TLA-4
-AVE-5
-TLA-6

Speaking of RHW transitions, I did a little sneakage.

(this one still needs color correction)

That's just a couple of them. 

-Alex

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

ivo_su

Thanks for  sharing information and photos  displayed from you Alex.
   First let me say that the transitions that show you are striking and perfect. Something extremely valuable and necessary that I hope to be part of NWM 2.0
Second, I know I have not understood correctly  or you're talking about a whole bunch of new networks  that will be included in version 2.0. Because  as far as I remember some time ago only speak for AVE-6  TLA-7 and  NMAVE-4.  Last plan so I left  her, or you totally crazy and will enter a whole bunch of new networks  in the last minute. It's really confusing for me and I guess that all these networks that talk will be part of further steps in development. It seems unreal to be ready for version 2.0, although all of them are super similar to a common middle section and such outside shoulders. It would be fantastic course to use them now but really I do not think that is possible. Sounds too good to be true.

Regards,
Ivo

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on August 07, 2011, 04:32:12 PM
Speaking of RHW transitions, I did a little sneakage.

Cool.

The abundance of these convenient transitions will make the NWM so much easier to use. Keep up the great work!

Tarkus

Thanks, guys--I'm glad the transitions are to your liking. :)  Have a bit more on that front to show in a bit.

Quote from: ivo_su on August 07, 2011, 05:00:09 PM
Second, I know I have not understood correctly  or you're talking about a whole bunch of new networks  that will be included in version 2.0. Because  as far as I remember some time ago only speak for AVE-6  TLA-7 and  NMAVE-4.  Last plan so I left  her, or you totally crazy and will enter a whole bunch of new networks  in the last minute. It's really confusing for me and I guess that all these networks that talk will be part of further steps in development. It seems unreal to be ready for version 2.0, although all of them are super similar to a common middle section and such outside shoulders. It would be fantastic course to use them now but really I do not think that is possible. Sounds too good to be true.

Don't worry, I'm not sneaking a bunch more networks in. :D  I was referring to long-term plans for beyond NWM 2.0 . . . probably to the point of Version 3.0 or even 4.0.  Just the TLA-7, AVE-6 and NMAVE-4 will be added in 2.0. ;)

-Alex

Exla357

One thing I noticed about SC4 intersections that bugged me was that the placement of the stoplights are in front of the intersection, and not on the far side. It could get a little hard for drivers stopping right at the crosswalks to have to open their sunroof to see the traffic light.

jondor

Quote from: Exla357 on August 07, 2011, 08:22:00 PM
One thing I noticed about SC4 intersections that bugged me was that the placement of the stoplights are in front of the intersection, and not on the far side. It could get a little hard for drivers stopping right at the crosswalks to have to open their sunroof to see the traffic light.

The reason for that is for simplification of the RULs.  In order to have traffic lights on the far side of the intersection, T and + intersections would not be able to share a common inner tile on multi-tile networks, which would mean more textures and more complicated and potentially unstable RULs.

However, since I discovered how to make S3D-based animations work (click the link in my signature), we can make stoplight props with very large offsets to place them in the correct positions with the current RULs, which was not the case with the ATC-based stoplights.  They will not be part of version 2.0, but you may see new stop light sets coming along once people have more free time again.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Kitsune

Its true ... but I remember Paris being like that and some intersections in Marrakech and Fes too (morocco... and french built too)... and I'm sure other euro-cities are like it too. To make matters worth... the area I was in had trees obscuring the lights too so it was a crapshot if you saw the red or not.  &mmm
~ NAM Team Member

ps2owner

I Have an idea for the Secret weapon.
Is it Dragable Neighbor Connections without using puzzle pieces?
Anyway, Great work. I wait in anticipation.

noahclem

The main part of intersection stoplights in Finland are also at the front of the intersection, though there is always also a stoplight visible to cars stopped at the line, typically a single set of lights in the median on the far side of the intersection. I think that is fairly normal for Europe.

In a perfect world it would be nice to be able to choose between European and American setups (and whatever else is out there that I'm unaware of) but, assuming I had to pick one, I would take the American style.

MandelSoft

Funny, the exact opposite setup of the other intersections always bugged me.

The Western-European setup (I've seen otherwise in other European countries, especially Denmark), the stoplights are placed at the adject side of the intersection. This forces drives to stop before the intersection, because otherwise they can't see the stoplight, which is in my opinion safer. Usually, the stop-line is usually about 5m away from the stoplight, as you can see here:
http://maps.google.nl/?ll=52.047648,4.475437&spn=0,0.002642&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.047648,4.475437&panoid=wqDwD_RRhmaOyLhdQzHZnw&cbp=12,346.56,,0,7.86
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

io_bg

Could this be implemented in SC4? I've always wanted the stoplights not to be on the other side of the intersections.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Skins

Quote from: mrtnrln on August 09, 2011, 03:34:36 AM
Funny, the exact opposite setup of the other intersections always bugged me.

The Western-European setup (I've seen otherwise in other European countries, especially Denmark), the stoplights are placed at the adject side of the intersection. This forces drives to stop before the intersection, because otherwise they can't see the stoplight, which is in my opinion safer. Usually, the stop-line is usually about 5m away from the stoplight, as you can see here:
http://maps.google.nl/?ll=52.047648,4.475437&spn=0,0.002642&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.047648,4.475437&panoid=wqDwD_RRhmaOyLhdQzHZnw&cbp=12,346.56,,0,7.86

That was bizarre seeing that Google Maps street view considering I was at that very intersection last week!

Having choice is always great. I'm a greater fan of the Western-European set up than I am of the Australian set up, so thanks Maarten on working on that.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=dandenong+rd&hl=en&ll=-37.893101,145.088553&spn=0.001336,0.002411&sll=-37.81231,144.961917&sspn=0.005348,0.009645&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=-37.893114,145.08866&panoid=Zf74sZ7H5mvLR39-Ujd_2A&cbp=12,264.5,,0,4.71