• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Quote from: mrtnrln on August 09, 2011, 03:34:36 AM
This forces drives to stop before the intersection, because otherwise they can't see the stoplight, which is in my opinion safer.

It also means you lose 1.5 cars per lane, something "completely unacceptable" in Australia :P
Better solution: Teach your drivers to drive in a straight line through an intersection and not take the drunk route  ::)

As for Australia... We generally have lights on both the far and adjacent sides of the intersection, as well as a pole with two lights (one for each direction usually, though there are three-head ones for Y and Five-Way intersections &dd ) in each median. Absolutely no excuse for running it then.
Probably the best in-context one I can get quick, MAVE-5 vs WOWR-2 (an OWR-2 as wide as an OWR-4).
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ll=-27.614427,152.760891&spn=0.004573,0.010568&t=k&z=17&layer=c&cbll=-27.614347,152.760924&panoid=SB8_oE0d9HXUOCveE0IMQQ&cbp=13,184.28,,0,3.56

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

kbieniu7

I see, how are you talking and think, maybe I can add something also?

In Poland traffic lights are always placed in front of the intersections. Putting them, on the far would create problem, how to put traffic signs on them (which are taken into consideration, when lights are off). It's just used, behind the crosswalks.
I think in polish road law, placing lights on the far side might be not possible - because after the intersection the new road starts, when sings (an traffic lights) are in force only on the road, which they are situated on.
But it's also quite often to see, some "half-diagonal" poles. Maybe this example is no so accurate, but I mean just a pole.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=50.0154809&lon=19.9708714&z=21&l=28&m=s
Sorry, but Poland has not yet StreetView.
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

j-dub

Some countries put them in the front, some countries but them in the back. Its just despite the differences the red yellow and green seems to have stayed the same across the globe. Funny story, even though some American dudes working on video games portrait US cities in some driving games with traffic lights before the crossing, %99 percent of the the time, the signals are after the intersection.

As for Google Streetview, the problem with that has always been privacy compromises, so that will be a long time to work out everywhere. Instead of doing major cities, they seem to drive around where I live, taking shots at ground level of all the subdivisions. I would say that's all fine and well, but I would think businesses and places like transit stops, parking garages and civic centers would be more important. That intersection you posted Mrtnrln, proves compromises in their filter system. For pervs its a nightmare when they block some faces out, but it seems like that software needs to be worked out, sometimes small stuff like tire caps and important signs will be blurred out for no reason. Occasionally not all faces are blurred at times. It seems the blurring is based on an overlap, and you can see for 1 second, before the blurring overlaps. I saw some people doing stuff in streetview, I can not even repeat here. So don't feel the need to regret the lack of street view Kbieniu. Sometimes, you have to take pictures of signals yourself, when streetview does not do it for you.

Now, the issue about signal configurations is because there are so many differences per intersection, I don't think we are talking all of the differences here as proposal. While I would say it would be great for LHD and RHD to have the option to regulate signals either to the front or rear consistently, versus the TuLEPs and NWM having opposing signal setups, its like who has time to fix that?

kbieniu7

I think that a pedestrain crossing lot, with an "island" in the middle, would fit there  :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Korot

A question about that transition: Are they dragable? Ergo: Dragging a TLA-3 into a RHW-2 will create this transition, instead of the road to RHW-2 one?

Regards,
Korot

ivo_su

Hello !!!
I see the there's a discussion about the traffic lights and everyone is explaining how they are in his country. I think the ones in Bulgaria are made the best possible way. Instead of having lights only in the front or in the back of the intersection, here they put traffic lights on both places. This way the cars located closer to the front light can see the one placed in the back (since they can't see the front one above them). And the rest of the cars can use the traffic light which is in the front. It's simple and great - I hope now the discussion will be over.

P.S
Alex I like your transitions and can not wait to see more of them. I hope they will be included in version 2.0. I suppose you think of to make the transition
OWR-2 \ RHW-4
AVE-6 \ RHW-6C

Best,
Ivo

MandelSoft

^^ Disagreed with that. Costs more money to put traffic lights on both sides (like in Denmark), and it looks kinda messy. Moreover, this setup gives the same problem as with every opposite-side setups: you can still see the stoplight when you passed the stopline, which you shouldn't when it's red. This might lead to unsafe situations, with cars standing on the actual intersection, waiting for the red light...

Tarkus

Quote from: Korot on August 09, 2011, 01:36:08 PM
A question about that transition: Are they dragable? Ergo: Dragging a TLA-3 into a RHW-2 will create this transition, instead of the road to RHW-2 one?

They are. ;)

Quote from: ivo_su on August 09, 2011, 02:16:37 PM
P.S
Alex I like your transitions and can not wait to see more of them. I hope they will be included in version 2.0. I suppose you think of to make the transition
OWR-2 \ RHW-4
AVE-6 \ RHW-6C

OWR-2/RHW-4 has existed in the RHW since the Version 1.2 release, 6 years ago (has it really been that long?! :o).  AVE-6/RHW-6C has been taken care of as well, and all these will be in Version 2.0.  The only ones I haven't taken care of yet are MIS/OWR-1, RHW-8S/OWR-4 and RHW-10S/OWR-5.

-Alex

io_bg

Quote from: mrtnrln on August 09, 2011, 02:18:58 PM
^^ Disagreed with that. Costs more money to put traffic lights on both sides (like in Denmark), and it looks kinda messy. Moreover, this setup gives the same problem as with every opposite-side setups: you can still see the stoplight when you passed the stopline, which you shouldn't when it's red. This might lead to unsafe situations, with cars standing on the actual intersection, waiting for the red light...
Most of the busy intersections in my city are made the way Ivo explained and I haven't seen any traffic accidents because of that traffic light layout.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

ivo_su

Maarten I can only say that it is extremely comfortable and not too expensive. Traffic lights on each side are synchronized and this makes for better convenience as the first line of junction and at the rear waiting to sail. Still here but in every city should wait 2-3 cycles from green to red so you can pass form and columns from a few hundred meters. My opinion is that it does not matter when it comes to security of lives.

Cheers,
Ivo

ivo_su

OWR-2/RHW-4 has existed in the RHW since the Version 1.2 release, 6 years ago (has it really been that long?! :o).  AVE-6/RHW-6C has been taken care of as well, and all these will be in Version 2.0.  The only ones I haven't taken care of yet are MIS/OWR-1, RHW-8S/OWR-4 and RHW-10S/OWR-5.

-Alex

Alex  I think you're wrong this time because I use a while something like a transition between  MIS-OWR1 and I can tell you that it works perfectly. Even if you do not believe I can do photos of my city where I have applied these connections.
  Everything else sounds perfect.

Cheers,
Ivo

jondor

Quote from: ivo_su on August 09, 2011, 02:46:22 PM

-Alex

Alex  I think you're wrong this time because I use a while something like a transition between  MIS-OWR1 and I can tell you that it works perfectly. Even if you do not believe I can do photos of my city where I have applied these connections.
  Everything else sounds perfect.

Cheers,
Ivo

There's no draggable transition yet that I know of, but a lot of people plop the filler pieces next to each other to create the transition.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

ivo_su

There's no draggable transition yet that I know of, but a lot of people plop the filler pieces next to each other to create the transition.

Yes  you're right that is not draggable in the interest of truth is difficult and uncomfortable  Dothan with Plop the pieces as I worked until now. That  which you have borrowed will greatly facilitate  connections between networks and we all can not wait to use it.

Ivo

Kitsune

Quote from: Tarkus on August 09, 2011, 02:23:39 PM

-Alex

ah figures... the one I need the most is one of the ones that havent been done yet (8S to owr4)...
~ NAM Team Member

jdenm8

Moreover, this setup gives the same problem as with every opposite-side setups: you can still see the stoplight when you passed the stopline, which you shouldn't when it's red. This might lead to unsafe situations, with cars standing on the actual intersection, waiting for the red light...

Cars shouldn't sit in the intersection, that's plain dumb (and it makes them liable for compensation in an accident).
Local laws usually compensate for it (if more than half of the car is over the stopline, you're committed to the manoeuvre and MUST complete it before another direction gets green, or it's a massive fine, no stopping allowed - That one's also helpful when turning Right on a congested road).

Also, having drivers who know how to stop a car before the line helps immensely. In all my years of driving, I've only ever seen three drivers cross the stopline and not complete the manoeuvre. Just because the light is on the other side doesn't mean you go over the line. No excuses.

However, we really should get back on topic.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

gn_leugim

I fell sorry for Alex. He goes like:

"I made X to A"

And other people goes

"nice but if you could make X to A with E or T?" Awesome, can you make also Q to W and E to R and T to T??"  &hlp &hlp

Now, seriously, Nice work and best wishes from me about all of your works, you are amazing  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MandelSoft

^^ Yep, that's the burden of all of those who are in the NAM Team. Unfortunately, we can't fulfill every request...

sepen77

~ Sepen77