• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2owner

Can the TLA-3 and TLA-5 get the ability to drive all the way through the center line on both sides? Also, why does it veer off the road every tile?

Kuewr665

Quote from: ps2owner on July 25, 2011, 09:16:30 AM
Can the TLA-3 and TLA-5 get the ability to drive all the way through the center line on both sides? Also, why does it veer off the road every tile?

Someone would have to create puzzle pieces for the reversible lanes. The paths turn off on the TLA-5 to provide car access to the buildings on the opposite side of the road. I'm not sure for the TLA-3, because cars can already access the businesses without the paths.

jondor

Quote from: Kuewr665 on July 25, 2011, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: ps2owner on July 25, 2011, 09:16:30 AM

Someone would have to create puzzle pieces for the reversible lanes. The paths turn off on the TLA-5 to provide car access to the buildings on the opposite side of the road. I'm not sure for the TLA-3, because cars can already access the businesses without the paths.

Cars cannot drive down the center lane because in real life that is illegal, the center lane is not for travel.  The TLA-5 paths to the road edge do allow access across both tiles, the TLA-3 paths are for consistency and for the intersection effect to bump the capacity of the network.

Reversible lanes are not possible to make functional in game and therefore will not be made, sorry.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

j-dub

The TLA is a complicated situation, in my downtown, they reconfigured a road with one, but it was actually because it was in the middle of two busy turn lanes, and despite the cross hatch right before the arrows guess what happens? In this case, the cars will go straight when backed up, besides there are no parking lots in this spot to turn off of.

ivo_su

Yesterday while trying to sleep I thought about the NWM secret weapon. And I think I have a very close guess. As we know the secret weapon is not noticeable but it helps in the construction. We know that many of the NWM networks are 2 or 3 tiles wide. This means that building them needs dragging road from the starter piece 2 or 3 times, and this slows it down. However, replacement of the road-draggable starter piece with an AVE one is unlikely to be true. But I guess that the NAM have come up with a way to build large networks with a single dragging. Whether that is made by MHW, AVE or El-rail - I don't know yet, but I'm guessing I'm very close to the truth.

Best,
Ivo

Tarkus

Nope, not quite.  I'm surprised no one has figured it out yet.  At any rate, I am preparing a video of it.

-Alex

sitejunction

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

ivo_su

Quote from: Tarkus on July 27, 2011, 11:04:43 AM
Nope, not quite.  I'm surprised no one has figured it out yet.  At any rate, I am preparing a video of it.

-Alex

Alex Does this mean that if you started making videos, so secret weapon is ready? If so I can not wait to see what it will and I will look with great interest your video.

Regards,
Ivo

Ramona Brie

Guess: drag one tile of wide NWM networks and the other tiles follow suit?

jmdude1

Quote from: jdenm8 on July 22, 2011, 08:48:28 PM
This makes it far, far easier  :thumbsup:

As soon as I read this I thought far angles.  Maybe I'm wrong?

edit: i think i meant what was said below my post, FANWM.  i gave up on acronyms long ago, it's gone to 'far' (ugh ugh) for me.  ::)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jmdude1 on July 29, 2011, 12:36:49 AM
As soon as I read this I thought far angles.  Maybe I'm wrong?

We have another FAR angle? What...?!! ()what()

Personally speaking, it would make sense to have more than one FAR angle... ;) But we don't even have any FANWM yet... &cry2
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Ramona Brie

Ganaram, you did create textures for an FATLA-5.

However, Tarkus mentioned that it would be hard to spot in a screenshot. Fractional angle networks are kinda easy to see.

jdenm8

It is not FANWM networks. We've only just implemented the basic framework for most of what would be required (FAAVE-4)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jacksunny

Spotted a texture error at zoom levels 3 and higher at an intersection between a Maxis Avenue and a MAVE-6.

Under the traffic lights it is black and not the sidewalk texture that it should be.

Dexter

It's probably already known about, but there's also a similar bug present on the OWR-1 starter pieces:

Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Dexter on July 31, 2011, 11:10:56 AM
It's probably already known about, but there's also a similar bug present on the OWR-1 starter pieces:

I'm personally well aware of that, and it's because Rail is hierarchically higher than OWR; Instead of the OWR's sidewalk textures showing while next to zoning, it's the Rail's dirt textures instead. (Personally speaking, I have it so that there are NO dirt textures, making it even more obnoxious.) The only way to fix that problem is to "bake in" the sidewalk textures into the actual OWR textures, and it doesn't appear to be worth fixing (by the NAM Team at least) because there are a LOT of sidewalk texture variations... (A third-party fix would be OK...)

As of the defunct AVE-4/MAVE-6 intersection textures, there seems to be a problem with the texture's alpha transparency for zoom 3 and 4, so the textures might need to be redone.

Quote from: Exla357 on July 24, 2011, 08:17:17 PM
Is anyone else getting the feeling that the OWR NWM setup is kinda RHW - like?

Don't worry; I had the same exact feeling... ;) (Thinks of the 8S D2 Ramp...)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 31, 2011, 11:44:53 AM
Quote from: Dexter on July 31, 2011, 11:10:56 AM

I'm personally well aware of that, and it's because Rail is hierarchically higher than OWR; Instead of the OWR's sidewalk textures showing while next to zoning, it's the Rail's dirt textures instead.

If we were to change the starter piece definition, that could be avoided to an extent--but it'd involve changing every puzzle piece that involves an OWR-1 starter as well.  It would only really be feasible if we were ready to convert the OWR-1 to an OWS-1, which we're still looking at doing.

Quote from: Exla357 on July 24, 2011, 08:17:17 PM
Is anyone else getting the feeling that the OWR NWM setup is kinda RHW - like?

Don't worry; I had the same exact feeling... ;) (Thinks of the 8S D2 Ramp...)
[/quote]

Given that they operate on a similar principle/design paradigm and have had the same folks working on them, generally, that's not at all surprising.

-Alex

io_bg

Hey Alex, what happened with the video showing the NWM secret weapon? :P Is it still in the works?
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Tarkus

Quote from: io_bg on July 31, 2011, 12:48:12 PM
Hey Alex, what happened with the video showing the NWM secret weapon? :P Is it still in the works?

It is still in the works.  Just like the releasing the actual mod itself, no date or timeline for the video. :D

-Alex