• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The New Forest : A Recreation MD Update 6: Yet another Teaser : 30/5/2011

Started by DanniBee, April 20, 2011, 04:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanniBee

Introduction
The New Forest is a area in the south of England, just located west of Southampton, a major port for the UK.

The New Forest National Park covers around 570 km2 , 26 miles of it stretches along the coast which equates to 76% of Hampshire's coastline.
Despite its name, it was actually created by  William the Conqueror in  1079 as his "new forest" for deer hunting. Modern New Forest Commoners,  occupy land, owned by the Crown, with "commoning" rights to graze their  livestock in the forest. New Forest ponies are the most famous  inhabitants. Ironically, its also the location of where two of William's sons died.
The majority of the forest is conifers, due to a sudden demand of wood in the First World War, that is however being reversed in some places with more deciduous being planted in the last few years.

In this MD I will attempt to recreate a few areas of the forest and other surrounding parts which I find interesting. Anyway, without further ado let's get this show on the road. (What's with the metaphors? :P)
♦ I don't mind you saying that you don't like it, as long as you give a perfectly good reason why
♦ I will do my best but thanks to the games limitations some places will be a bit hard to do

After this not being terribly popular on Simtropolis, I've decided to move it here, and try to post all the updates that are already on ST, but I will still update the one on ST as well along with this, anyway, enjoy this as much as I did making this!

samerton

Great to see this here, Dan! Looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:

Reikhardt

Good to see you've moved here!
Always enjoyed what you have been doing with this region, a very ambitious project!

DanniBee

Replies
Samerton - Well this is all stuff you've seen before anyhow... ()stsfd()

Reikhardt - Thanks, I'm hoping It'll be more popular here :)

Update I
Okay, so the area I will showcase today is where the A31 dual carrige-way meets Verwood Road. Inside this red square, here.

I chose to recreate this area due to the complex junction and to show off my RHW skills  However the scale is completely off, meh.

Here is the overview of the whole area, as you can see, the junction is a tad on the large side, but It's the best I could do

Here is a better view of the junction itself, don't ask why there are trees in the middle of the flyover, because I have no idea how they got there.

A little wier for the river with some farming going on

A little parade of houses

A close-up shot of some woods across the road from the farms

Cows grazing opposite the river Stour

The Castleman Trailway has a wooden walkway going over the river

A load of neighbour connections which are gonna need re-doing thanks to the new NAM release, but without them we wouldn't have any of this so I can't complain.

Some more of the Castleman Trailway and the road which goes down to the local scrapyard

And there you have it, Next update will be a reupload of all Hengistbury updates I did. Have a good one! And remember to comment!  ;)

wallasey

That is truely amazing! Looks real!

How did you get your farming areas to look so good? I cant get the same look...so I don't even try!

Tomas Neto

Wow..., fantastic start!!! I liked a lot of this update!!!  &apls

rooker1

Very interesting start and awesome looking rural scenes.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

bat

Fantastic work on that recration!
The highway and the river are looking beautiful.
Wonderful start on your MD. :thumbsup:

Reikhardt

Splendid stuff! A great mix of rural and roadways!  &apls

RickD

Amazing work. Looking forward to more.  &apls
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

DanniBee

Replies

wallasey - Well It's all standard Maxis farms but I used a lot of ploppable flora  ;)

Tomas Neto - Thank you!  :)

Rooker 1 - Thanks Robin ;D

bat - I tried hard to make rural and 8 lane motorway work together  ;)

Reikhardt - Thank you for your comment :)

RickD - More on it's way!  :thumbsup:

Update 2: Hengistbury Head

Right, this is all the work I did on this area here:

And now some info on the area:

"Hengistbury Head is a scenic and historic headland  near the town of Bournemouth on the south coast of England.   It stands mid way between Poole harbour and Hurst spit and forms the  main  division between Poole and Christchurch Bays. Hengistbury Head incorporates many different habitats and supports a  wide variety wildlife and rare plant species.  It is also a site of significant archaeological importance. For many years it has been a site of scientific interest and a major  tourist attraction. Each year it attracts visitors from all over the  world. Hengistbury Head is also a major educational resource and is heavily used as the foundation and subject for a range of studies  related to local history and the environment."

Bear in mind this all the pictures of it from start to finish that I did so some things you will see more than once

A picture of the Hungry Hiker restaurant and car park

The building where land trains are kept and a field containing the remains of an iron age settlement

A beach to the south of the area, into cold the English Channel

Some marshy areas to the north next to Christchurch Harbour

The area as of 27/9/10

Some marshland and a few boats moored up

A view of the Solent Meads Golf club

Powerboating across the harbour

The final product of 2 months work

A Teaser for next time: The town with the oldest living population in the UK; Christchurch

In the meantime stay safe and see you all later  ;)

marsh

Thats really beautiful work there. The way you photoshop your pictures make them look strangely realistic. Can't wait for more.

,marsh

Tomas Neto

DanniBee

Replies

marsh
- Unfortunately no Photoshop here just Microsoft Paint, your pictures are an inspiration!  ;)

Tomas Neto - Thank you  :)

Update 3 : Christchurch Harbour

'Christchurch is a borough and town in the county of Dorset on the south coast of England. The town adjoins Bournemouth in the west and the New Forest lies to the east. Historically in Hampshire, it joined Dorset with the reorganisation of local government in 1974 and is the most easterly borough in the county. It covers an area of 19.5 square miles (51 km2) and has a population of approximately 45,000, making it the fourth most populous town in the county.

Christchurch was founded in the 7th century at the confluence of the rivers Avon and Stour which flow into Christchurch Harbour. The town was originally named Twynham but became known as Christchurch following the construction of the priory in 1094. The town developed into an important trading port and was fortified in the 9th century. Further defences were added in the 12th century with the construction of a castle which was destroyed by the Parliamentarian army during the English Civil War. During the 18th and 19th centuries smuggling flourished in Christchurch and became one of the town's most lucrative industries. The town was heavily fortified during Second World War as a precaution against an expected invasion and in 1940 an Airspeed factory was established on the town's airfield which manufactured aircraft for the Royal Air Force.

The town's harbour, beaches, nature reserves and historically important buildings have made Christchurch a popular tourist destination attracting some 1.5 million visitors a year. Bournemouth Airport, an international airport which handles approximately 800,000 passengers a year, is located within the borough boundary at Hurn. The airport's industrial park contains a number of aerospace and engineering businesses and is one of the largest employment sites in Dorset. Christchurch is a popular destination for retirees and has one of the oldest populations in the country with 30 per cent of residents aged over 65
.'

So as you can see it's rich in history,which will make the tight little side streets a challenge in SC4, but anyway, I tried my best. So without further ado, here's Christchurch, UK

All of what I've done on Sim City

A small-ish modern church facing Southbourne Coast Road

Saint Katherines Church Of England Church and a few shops facing onto Belle Vue Road and you can just see the edge of Saint Peters Catholic Comprehensive School

Some Suburban Shops and St Katherines Church of England Primary School

An overview of Southbourne

Twynham School and a car park..

A more in depth look at the area of Purewell

A closer look of where the A35 Christchurch bypass meets a roundabout...

Maxis sewage plants will do, they look surprisingly good to be honest...

Where Stony Lane meets Bridge Street, I bet you can't guess the country this is in  :P

B&Q, for all your local littering needs, and I swear I don't have a Mini generator, they just like to get everywhere..

A position of another bland housing estate... Joy.

And that concludes today's update, next stop more roads and maybe a bit of flora plopping. Stay tuned and stay safe until next time on the New Forest MD  ;)

Reikhardt

Splendid update! I missed the last update, that final long shot looks fantastic, almost like an OS map of the area!

samerton

Exla357

I think some Fractional Angle Rail Pieces could come in handy there. Nevertheless, fantastic job, and nice to see you here on SC4D! Keep it up :thumbsup:

DanniBee

Replies

Reikhardt - OS maps come in very handy at this kind of thing!  :thumbsup:

samerton - Thanks Sam  :)

wallasey - Thank you  ;D

Exla357 - Problem is is that it's elevated on a grass bank, also it's not the right angle, trust me I have tried it :)

Teaser and a rather large problem

Now last night I was casually looking up cheats on the internet, clicked on a SarcasticGamer link, and BAM!. My computer shuts down, panicking I turn it on quick but find out that some rather nasty Malware has effectively replicated worms in all my data corrupting it all and then installing a program called Malware Protector. Which looks like MS security office but it isn't. I feel that I've probably lost everything again. I can't open up anything except that program and then as soon as I do it corrupts more data, not even Safe Mode works. So while my computer is being repaired there won't be any updates for a while, if ever. So a word to the wise, don't go on websites which you haven't heard of before. Also I had my external harddrive was in at the time because I'd been backing it all up like I do every week, that too has become corrupted, so watch this space, but I doubt we'll see my region, or anything off that machine again. But still, there's always hope that the nerds at my dad's office can fix it yet. Also it's not corrupted the stuff as such, but it says that it has, it's lying. The stuff still works fine but that program won't let me open it...   >:(

Anyway here is a teaser I put on ST last week

So fingers crossed I can get it all up and running again, but just in case it doesn't it was fun in the short run that it had...

samerton

Stupid malware...   :angrymore:

I'm very sad to hear this and I hope that your computer can be fixed and all of your wonderful work recovered.
I wish you the best of luck,
Sam =)