• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

Quote from: tomvsotis on June 01, 2020, 02:43:00 AM
hey @eggman121, any tips on how to use the FARR-6 in the NAM 37 RC? it looks super cool and useful, but i can't work out how to drag it out!
OK, i worked that one out. Hurrah!

A couple more, though: I'm not sure if it's bc i have a borked installation or something, but none of the draggable FARR RRW patterns from NAM 36 seem to work? e.g. dragging parallel four-tile-long pieces of rail, overlapping by two tiles, doesn't seem to override into FARR any more?

And also, how do we do FARR turnouts in NAM 37? there don't seem to be any FLEX pieces for them, and i can't get those draggable patterns to work, either. (and tbh it was always kinda difficult, even under NAM 36.)

any thoughts/advice much appreciated! what you've done w the RRW is AMAZING <3

Tyberius06

Hi!

Quote from: tomvsotis on June 01, 2020, 03:06:03 AM

but none of the draggable FARR RRW patterns from NAM 36 seem to work? e.g. dragging parallel four-tile-long pieces of rail, overlapping by two tiles, doesn't seem to override into FARR any more?

Indeed, this default pattern is no longer available with NAM 37. There is a new pattern, but it starts from an Ortho-FARR curve.
It's something like this with the FARR-3:

FARR-2 is something like this:

I found a kind of drag pattern for the FARR 1.5/1.33, but I'm not sure about it, but it's more messy. I would recommend you to use the FLEX-FARR items.

QuoteAnd also, how do we do FARR turnouts in NAM 37? there don't seem to be any FLEX pieces for them, and i can't get those draggable patterns to work, either. (and tbh it was always kinda difficult, even under NAM 36.)

At this moment I don't think if there are FLEX turnouts, but I managed to make it work most of the draggable patterns, but one. The Orthogonal DTR C2 branching off FARR 3 Turnout doesn't seem to have its pattern to be working. But the rest is working mostly, but some of them require extra care, like the FARR-2 G2 turnout. This one tends to transform to a regular/irregular turnout if you don't do it in the right way. I would say, it's working after a bunch of trial and error.

I hope it helps!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

eggman121

Quote from: tomvsotis on June 01, 2020, 03:06:03 AM
Quote from: tomvsotis on June 01, 2020, 02:43:00 AM
hey @eggman121, any tips on how to use the FARR-6 in the NAM 37 RC? it looks super cool and useful, but i can't work out how to drag it out!
OK, i worked that one out. Hurrah!

A couple more, though: I'm not sure if it's bc i have a borked installation or something, but none of the draggable FARR RRW patterns from NAM 36 seem to work? e.g. dragging parallel four-tile-long pieces of rail, overlapping by two tiles, doesn't seem to override into FARR any more?

And also, how do we do FARR turnouts in NAM 37? there don't seem to be any FLEX pieces for them, and i can't get those draggable patterns to work, either. (and tbh it was always kinda difficult, even under NAM 36.)

any thoughts/advice much appreciated! what you've done w the RRW is AMAZING <3

Thanks for the kind reply :)

Yes I have shifted the INRULs from the straights so dual setups are now possible. So the only way to obtain the FARR pieces are to use the patterns for the Curve pieces or easier still is to use the FLEX pieces in the TAB ring.

@Tibi Which switch where you referring too? I kept the patterns intact so there should not be an issue with the C2 FARR turnout.

On other matters now.

Just working on the reskin before any large movement...

(Setup with various pieces)

(Flying Junction)

The hope is to have a couple of Reskins that are pre compiled for NAM 37 upon proper release. Other items may follow.

-eggman121

Tyberius06

Quote from: eggman121 on June 13, 2020, 11:12:27 AM

@Tibi Which switch where you referring too? I kept the patterns intact so there should not be an issue with the C2 FARR turnout.

On other matters now.

Just working on the reskin before any large movement...

(Setup with various pieces)

(Flying Junction)

The hope is to have a couple of Reskins that are pre compiled for NAM 37 upon proper release. Other items may follow.

-eggman121

Hi Stephen!

Oh, my bad. I gave it an other try and now I managed to draw that Orthogonal DTR C2 branching off FARR 3 Turnout, but the pattern is slightly differnet from the one in the old documentation.

In game:

Actual pattern:

So it's working, but sometimes need a little trickery in which order you draw the different rail tracks to get the proper results.

Reskin looks pretty good, Stephen! I can't wait to have it! :)

Keep up the good work!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.

belfastsocrates

Apologies for posing a question which is slightly off the current topic. I've only transitioned to RRW for my new city tile and there's a quite noticeable lag when laying the track or placing roads/streets close to the RRW tracks.

Is this normal? I'm using the RRW reskin as well.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Tyberius06

Quote from: belfastsocrates on June 14, 2020, 05:40:21 AM
Apologies for posing a question which is slightly off the current topic. I've only transitioned to RRW for my new city tile and there's a quite noticeable lag when laying the track or placing roads/streets close to the RRW tracks.

How do you mean this: "when laying the track or placing roads/streets close to the RRW tracks."? (image?)

It's definitelly not normal, but I haven't experienced anything like this.

- Tyberius

art128

In the past I've had this issue when laying down transit. Turns out If I play LHD (which I assume you do) and you lay transit that are missing LHD paths files the game will indeed lag a lot. Make sure you've got the LHD paths files in your NAM folders.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

eggman121

Quote from: belfastsocrates on June 14, 2020, 05:40:21 AM

Paths are probably the issue here if you are using LHD.

If you have the drawpaths cheat could you please show me which pieces are affected?

This would be handy to get the LHD situation sorted out before the proper release.

-eggman121

belfastsocrates

Thanks for the advice. Seems there are no paths on the dragged elements of the RRW. Did I install NAM incorrectly?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

eggman121

QuoteThanks for the advice. Seems there are no paths on the dragged elements of the RRW. Did I install NAM incorrectly?

Hi @belfastsocrates.

I would check it you still have the Z_NAM folder still in your Plugins? If so, Please back it up.

The straights should definitely have paths.

The installer structure has changed so this is all that should be in the "Network Addon Mod" Folder

If in doubt, Just remove the whole Network Addon Mod and Z_NAM folders (Back them up somewhere safe!) and Reinstall Make sure LHD is checked.

-eggman121

belfastsocrates

Yeah I have the Z_Nam folder. I'll backup and delete it and then load to see. I'll check my NAM structure as well once I'm back at the laptop.

eggman121

Quote from: belfastsocrates on June 15, 2020, 02:49:25 PM
Yeah I have the Z_Nam folder. I'll backup and delete it and then load to see. I'll check my NAM structure as well once I'm back at the laptop.

I should have probably asked... Are you using NAM 36 or NAM 37?

If NAM 36 than you should backup the Network Addon Mod folder and Z_NAM Folder and fresh install.

If you have tried NAM 37, You will need to remove previous version of the NAM in your folder.

The fact that the Ortho and Diag pieces are different in terms of colour points to the Paths and/or exemplars not being in place.

I did a ton of work on LHD paths for NAM 37 and have been kinda hoping for an LHD user to use NAM 37 so if pieces break in LHD I can fix them for the proper release.

As for the Reskin... I have updated it to NAM 37 standards along with some help.

I probably need to make some documentation for the new pieces.

-eggman121

belfastsocrates

Quote from: eggman121 on June 15, 2020, 06:35:26 PM
Quote from: belfastsocrates on June 15, 2020, 02:49:25 PM

I should have probably asked... Are you using NAM 36 or NAM 37?

-eggman121

36 at the minute. I can download the 37 release though and give it a go if you want to have a look at anything relating to RRW and LHD? Just let me know.

I can load a new city tile and use that to play with rail options, just let me know.

eggman121

Quote from: belfastsocrates on June 16, 2020, 09:11:13 AM
36 at the minute. I can download the 37 release though and give it a go if you want to have a look at anything relating to RRW and LHD? Just let me know.

I can load a new city tile and use that to play with rail options, just let me know.

If you can use NAM 37 and help me fix up some of the missing areas in LHD that would be greatly appreciated :)

I have fixed a bit of the LHD issues however I feel there is still more. NAM 37 proper release should not be too far off. We just want to get the settings right for the full release.

-eggman121

roadgeek

Wondering if the rules used here, will be beneficial in creating draggable FARHW or FAAVE or FANWM.

roadgeek

Is there any future plan for Elevated rail over RHW. The only thing we have now, is OXO.

dyoungyn

Help,

Can anyone tell me how to get back the long slop with the Rail like it was with NAM 38 and beyond?  I love this long slop as it looks flat but no flat very gradual decline?

dyoungyn

LucarioBoricua

Quote from: dyoungyn on May 11, 2021, 08:51:14 AM
Help,

Can anyone tell me how to get back the long slop with the Rail like it was with NAM 38 and beyond?  I love this long slop as it looks flat but no flat very gradual decline?

dyoungyn

Depends:

- If you didn't use any slope mods, then what you might be thinking is about the RRW tunnel and slope mod included in the NAM, make sure it's selected when installing the mod.

- Conversely f you are using a slope mod of your own, with relatively flat rail slopes, then it may be possible that the RRW tunnel and slope mod may be too steep for what you want, in which case you can either remove it from your installation (the file is found in its own folder, under 2 Additional Network Features), or de-select it when doing a new installation.

dicko6

So after some 4 or 5 years, I recently got back into SC4 after the release of NAM42 and the whole transition from puzzle pieces to flex has me a little confused. Endless lockdown here in Australia has also contributed.

I'm seeing all these incredible videos of RRW / HRW (specifically in Eggman's tech demo videos) with awesome bed textures and concrete sleepers, all draggable from various flex pieces using the normal DTR railway, and figured they'd be a fantastic replacement for my somewhat dated pylons-with-no-wires mod on top of HD-ified Maxis textures in the metro areas. The standard NAM RRW textures with no overheads are perfect for rural and semi-rural stuff. Unfortunately in making the update to NAM42, my draggable railways no longer have pylons / catenaries. But even with the HRW flex pieces, I can only seem to drag the now-standard brown DTR with no wires out from the concrete-sleeper HRW flex pieces.

Eggman, I notice in videos of yours from 2018 and 2019 (and even images back in 2013, when you first displayed the overhead wires concept!!) that your draggable rail has incredibly realistic textures, way better than the standard HRW textures and far more metro-appropriate that RRW, but as per the RRW thread intro, different textures have never been planned for this part of the NAM.

The closest I can figure is the HRW, and even then I can't seem to make it happen without manually going along, removing the original track and plopping down the flex piece, which largely defeats the purpose of the flex pieces replacing puzzle pieces! Even plopping the HRW pieces OVER the standard track doesn't replace them with the concrete sleepers and overhead wires. I can't find any videos on the subject, most of the NAM content on YouTube focuses on RHW.

Is it a case of the textures and draggable catenaries stuff shown in your in-game videos hasn't made it into the NAM as of #42, or is it stricly in ploppable format for now... or have I got something very basic, completely wrong?? I've checked the usual suspects including removing the z___NAM folder and the associated catenary mod files and folders... the HRW documentation is also yet to be written and I imagine writing that would be almost as big a project as the HRW/RRW itself!

at this stage, my options are to return to the old, old Maxis rail textures with catenaries but no wires and limited functionality for metro areas, or have the brown rail in cities with no catenaires as I can't get my head around this HRW, and the current grey skin is too dark and low contrast to stand out from my landscape textures. I can't even get STR happening! I feel like there's been this incredible development in the railways of SC4 as part of the NAM and yet I'm somehow stuck with fewer realism options than I had 5 years ago.

Eggman, what is happening in your videos, in this very thread I believe, from 2 - 3 years ago that I'm missing here in 2021? Apologies in advance if it's a really stupid question, the only 3 HRW buttons in my rail menu are straights, curves and switches and even they have only a few flex pieces each, with no STR. It's not even the combined monorail/rail functionality that I'm missing so much as the realistic look of the railways, sleepers and bed (and, yes, catenaries in the city) in your videos that would fit beautifully in both a metro setting and suburban/semi-rural. Ultimately, I've got about 18 full-size city tiles stitched together in a 32gb photoshop file at zoom level 3, that I'd one day like to cover an entire wall of my house :)

Cheers!
Dicko

Tyberius06

Hi Dicko,

Everything about HRW and it's development and a tutorial can be found in this dedicated thread:

https://www.sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=18867

I created a tutorial when HRW was released, but it was just a "quick" image tutorial to show the currently available pieces and their use at the moment of release. HRW is planned to get some love in the next NAM releases whenever they happen.
Some basic thing about HRW and RRW because I see some confusion about them in your post.

1) RRW is a direct replacement and the default Rail road option since NAM v37. The old Maxis Rail and the RAM has been phased out, it will be released as a LEGACY content separately on LEX at one point and won't get any update in the future. Regarding the textures. In the past few years there was a planned RRW ReSkin project which will offer a few texture colour variation which can replace the currently default brownish one and also there will be a reskin kit released which will allow players to create their own reskin versions. Those RRW texture variations what you see in Eggman's videos and images are coming from the development of this reskin project.
You're right, RRW was planned to have overhead catenaries with wires, but during development and testings this idea was dismissed due to the amount of work what it required and some other complications. The draggable RRW likely will not have overhead catenaries with wires, but individual developers might be able to recreate the old or new catenaries (without wires) as T21 to work with the current version of the RRW. From NAM side as far as I know it is not planned currently. As of now according to the latest informations from Eggman, the RRW set-up will be offered as is, without catenaries mostly for rural set-ups, but it will have the RRW Reskin Mod, so the textures will be changeable (one at a time). Also RRW has STR option which has multiple draggable and FLEX curves and switches.

2) HRW is a completely different and separate network. It has the capability to carry passanger and freight traffic (RRW) and high-speed rail traffic (monorail) on the same tracks. At this moment there is no possible way to make it draggable hence that's the reason of the flex pieces. It was designed from the begining to have the catenaries and wires, but it won't get all the different switches curves angles as the RRW has, though it will get many of them. Currently I don't know if STR version of the HRW is planned at all. This is an inbetween network of the RRW and the R-HSR (yet to be developped).

There is a tutorial how to use HRW and what pieces it has currently on this link:

https://www.sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=18724.msg535486#msg535486

Probably a more detailed tutorial will be made when the planned HRW update will happen.

Also there is already a HRW Reskin Kit available for the new network (a similiar one will be released for RRW in the near future). You can download it here:

https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/34227-hybrid-railway-reskin-for-nam-39/

I hope it helps a bit.

- Tyberius