• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ploppables with Jobs and Residents. Why not?

Started by RippleJet, April 02, 2008, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

:P

Thanks for putting it all in clear and plain language. I personally hate using functional ploppables, both because they clog up menus and have so many issues.

I'm a grower, not a shower!  $%Grinno$%
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Wiimeiser

Don't buildings have to regrow to become ocupied again? Does anyone know this?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

RippleJet

Quote from: Wiimeiser on February 25, 2011, 03:15:29 PM
Don't buildings have to regrow to become ocupied again? Does anyone know this?

Do you mean growable buildings that have already become vacant?
In that case, no, they don't have to regrow (or upgrade).

They can become reoccupied if there's enough demand and if the desirability of the area is high enough.
If it's a residential or commercial building, it can also become reoccupied with a lower wealth level.

However, the longer they are vacant, the further the land value in the area will drop.
Thus, the longer it stay vacant, the lower the desirability in the area will become and the smaller the chance of it to become reoccupied.
In such cases I usually find myself bulldozing the vacant building instead.
(unless I can increase the desirability some other way... e.g. by planting trees)

six9nc

"They have exactly the same effect on the demand simulators as the eternal commute circles around city corners." 

Excuse me for bumping this topic but I am familiar with everything in this post except the eternal commute circles.  Can someone elaborate for me.  Tahnks.

"The man who sleeps on the floor never falls out of bed"...Martin Lawrence

NCGAIO

can read a good solution in this thread

A solution to the eternal commuter problem

but it has several about theme threads then i suggest "eternal commuter" on - research -

bring 52 results as information

spot

-

bman7

If I want to get rid of the jobs in a functional landmark, what program should I use? And which values do I have to delete?

Swordmaster

The best route is to use PIMX and create a new building, and with that building a new lot, from a given model. It's rather easy to do once you get past the initial ()what() of using the program. There's a manual that comes with it and multiple threads around the forum detailing what you need to do.

Cheers
Willy

bman7

vortext

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

bman7

Somehow I missed that thread. It works now, thanks.

Before I start figuring out what I'm supposed to do, how do props work with it? Is there a way to import them into the new lot, or would I have to manually place all the props?

vortext

Glad to hear it works now!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: bman7 on December 06, 2013, 09:34:06 AM
Is there a way to import them into the new lot, or would I have to manually place all the props?

You can select all the props & textures from the original and simply copy/paste them into the new lot. Though you may want to read the manual Swordmaster linked to first of all.  ;)
time flies like a bird

Swordmaster

What Vortext said, but in some detail:

Suppose you want to replicate the exact same lot, but with a PIMXed building exemplar.

1/ Create a building exemplar with PIMX (drag the model to the appropriate building category).
2/ Create a ploppable lot from this building (in the building window, right click -> create ploppable). Make sure it has the same size as the original.
3/ Close PIMX and open your new lot in Reader. Find the LotConfigPropertyLotObject property. This one and all the "unknown" properties right below it contain the information regarding what is on the lot and how it's placed. Select all the ones whose value line starts with "0x00000002" and delete them (right click -> delete property). These are the textures PIMX put on your lot but you don't need them.
4/ Open the original lot in another instance of Reader. Find the LotConfigPropertyLotObject property again. Select all of the properties that start with "0x00000001" (these are the props) and "0x00000002" (textures) and copy-paste them to the new lot.
5/ In the new lot file, right click in the properties window -> Reindex LotConfig.

Now, your new lot shot be a perfect copy of the original, except the building.

Cheers
Willy

vortext

Quote from: Swordmaster on December 06, 2013, 09:56:52 AM
3/ Close PIMX and open your new lot in Reader.

Wait. You know you can copy/paste lot properties in the PIMX itself, right?! No need for the Reader.  ;)
time flies like a bird

Swordmaster

Quote from: vortext on December 06, 2013, 09:59:27 AM
Quote from: Swordmaster on December 06, 2013, 09:56:52 AM
3/ Close PIMX and open your new lot in Reader.

Wait. You know you can copy/paste lot properties in the PIMX itself, right?! No need for the Reader.  ;)

Ah, no I didn't. I've never used the PIMX lot editor. One would need to load all dependencies used on the lot, so I figure Reader is faster.

Cheers
Willy

vortext

Quote from: Swordmaster on December 06, 2013, 10:11:11 AM
Ah, no I didn't. I've never used the PIMX lot editor.

What, that's crazy!!  :P  :D

At any rate, there's even no need to load all the dependencies as long as the model for the building itself is present. So the entire procedure would be:

1) create the building exemplar
2) create the ploppable lot 
3) delete the textures from the new lot by selecting all the lot entries which say texture, right-click and choose delete.
4) navigate to the original lot, select all the lot entries which say texture & prop, right-click and choose copy
5) go back to the new plop lot, right-click and choose paste
6) hit save and you're done

Also note this is all done in the main PIMX window, i.e. no need the enter the actual Lot Editor.
time flies like a bird

bman7

This is going to be very annoying to do. I have 30-40 lots I'd like to do this with, and some of the lots I need are missing from the list. I only have the folder I'm currently fixing selected when I start it up. :/

Kuewr665

And the building placement cannot be preserved?

vortext

@ bman7, it's quite easy once you get the hang of it. I reckon 30-40 lots will take you about an hour or so.

@ Kuewr665, good question. Unfortunately building placement is not preserved, it's always centered for new lots. So step 5.5 would be: re-position the building.
time flies like a bird

bman7

How do you move the building?

And sorry for all the questions; I haven't done any sort of lot editing for at least a couple years, and I'd never heard of PIMX until you mentioned it.