• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Winding River Project

Started by mrbisonm, March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Thanks folks for the nice encouragements. I wasn't sure if I could start another nice and interesting MD/CJ again and make it as likable as NoG, but I guess with your help I'm on a good start. Thanks to all. And what can go wrong with a satelite watching us.
As I said before, there will be dozens of new Nexis BATs and Lots to see, and some of them will be uploaded to be shared with you.

I will have an update (the first official one) later tonight.  ;)

mrb

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

BarbyW

As one of the early inhabitants of NoG, I hope I may find a place here too. I loved NoG and am sure this will prove to be as interesting and absorbing.
If you would like your work uploading to the LEX please let me know and I will work with you to get them to the best lot/modding quality. I had a good teacher in Al ;D
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

kimcar

An interactice MD. That would be very interesting  &apls &apls Btw great start and nice pics too. Looking forward :thumbsup:

mrbisonm

Quote from: BarbyW on March 11, 2009, 04:34:40 AM
As one of the early inhabitants of NoG, I hope I may find a place here too. I loved NoG and am sure this will prove to be as interesting and absorbing.
If you would like your work uploading to the LEX please let me know and I will work with you to get them to the best lot/modding quality. I had a good teacher in Al ;D

Well, I'll surely be honoured again to have your character in this CJ again, will it still be Barbara White?.... ;) I'll pm you when the time has come and thanks for dropping in.
About me uploading BATs and Lots to the LEX....not sure if my BATs could qualify, looks darn difficult to get stuff uploaded here. I know that you had the best teacher around (Al) he is my hero and helped enormously with my earlier BATs and Lots. I might just ask you when the time has come :thumbsup: Thanks for the offer.
There surely will be some surprizingly nice BATs to come in this MD, all new like the hydroplane and maybe some of them will be wanted. I will get to you then BarbyW.

Nice going all, I am glad that you are visiting this MD and leave a comment, I'll promise to keep it interesting....lol
dedgren,enjoy the ride from the beginning this time.
art128, thanks, stick around you might see some of your work here. ;)
Sciurus, the city building will start soon, it should reach the 4to 5 million mark one day.
rooker1, who knows maybe this MD will convert you to a reader?....lol
Battlecat, these details are only a slight teaser, wait when you see later what I am talking about.....
Thanks kimcar for dropping in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

««« Let's get to know the region of Winding River and its surroundings before we start actually building and get the story really going.
First of all I would like you to know that there are three different regions actually involved in this story, but we will concentrate mainly on the Winding River Wilderness Region. The other regions, Frampton and Bluebay, are already built and they will only be somewhat of a reference for the story. They also have been handterraformed like most of my regions.

This is a map that I quickly made for you to see where what is. When we talk about Frampton or Bluebay, you will know where it is situated compared to the Winding River Wilderness and elsewhere.

Bluebay is a small city of around 670,000 population at the moment and is the place where Charlie Gabber (the little fellow that went fishing with his dad) and his family live.
Frampton is a large town of 220,000 up north connected partially by highway 15 and a simple road with Bluebay. This is where the Gabber family came from.
Beecher Falls is the bigger city of 780,000 also up north further inland and this is where the Main-Office of Henry and John Gabber (Grandfather and father of little Charlie) is.

Frampton and Bluebay are on the ocean side with a slightly warmer climate because of the southern golfstream.
As you can see the Winding River Wilderness is in between these towns and cities, a big valley right in the middle of the Acian Mountain chain. It is quite interesting for many political developpers and investors for further expansions of their civilization. Also the area is just perfect to connect both the northern cities and town with the more southern Bluebay. The coastline is too ragged to build a decent transportation lines.
The Winding River, the biggest river in this eastern half of the country, comes from the deep mountains further to the west, draining the glaciers and valleys where hardly anyone lives.

The story started with Charlie Gabber going on a fishing trip with his dad John up north (shown in a circle on the map above) Here are several lakes and excellent fishing ponds as we have seen earlier. The best way to get there from Bluebay, where the family lives, is by a hydroplane, flying over the Winding River Wilderness and contouring the nmountains and hills as we also have seen before.
The Gabber family lives on Bergen Island, it is just a suburbs for the city of Bluebay. John and his father Henry both live on the island and work in downtown of Bluebay, some 45 minutes by car from their home. Their Main office though is in Beecher Falls, where they go once a week by airplane. There is a small airport on Bergen Island, so no problem to quickly (40 min flight) jump over to Beecher Falls and come back in the same morning. The Company has its own small jetplane and a captain.
The family comes originally from Frampton, where Grandfather Henry once was the Founder and Mayor of the city. Henry also was the founder of his corporation of Architects, City managements and Development Planners called *Gabber Mgs*. Father John and his brother Gary (uncle Gary for Charlie) is today the CEO and President of this very big international Corporation.
John Gabber married Mary Moondall (from Beecher Falls) some 18 years ago and they had 5 children, three boys and two girls. Junior John is the oldest son, now 18 years old, going to the Bluebay College and studying buissness Management. Hopes are high for father John that Junior will take over the Corporation one day. Then comes Vera, the oldest girl, she is 16 and finishing Highschool this year, very interested in becoming a veterinary. Melody-Ann is the youngest girl, only 13, and then comes Billy (William) the *roughrider* as Mom calls him, he is 10, very active in almost everything, mostly rough sports and things we shouldn't really do. There's another Billy, Charlie's dog, kinda confusing when it comes to calling them.
Finally, somewhat as an accident comes Charlie, almost 8 now, he is the dreamer, the naturloving fellow and Mom's favourite.
Father John goes hunting and fishing with his father Henry and some friends every so often and this is the beginning where he finally took along his youngest son to a fishing trip. No one else in the family is interested in fishing, so Charlie is the first to have been taken along as an experiment first. And this is where our hopefully long lasting story has started.

Here below is the Beecher Falls region, where we later get to see some details, especially the headquarters of Gabber Mgs.
Then below is the Frampton area and its big river. Later again we will visit where the Gabber family originally came from.

And this is the Bluebay region, where we will spend some time in the beginning and where the story actually starts.

Finally this is the Winding River Wilderness, where most of our time will be spent, building, civilizing and hopefully creating a great Metropolitain City one day with some of you readers as interacting personalilites in it and becoming a part of this story.

Now that you know where we are and what all the surroundings look like (get a good look at it/ or keep the pics as a reference whenever I will talk about them later on, I will go on with the story.....»»»

«« It was in the early sunday afternoon Dad decided to leave the fishingpond and go home. He wants to have supper at home, he says. We flew for about 30 minutes when he looked at me "Hey, there's that Winding River Wilderness again, nice ain't it?", Nice wasn't the word, it was beautiful. " It looks different" I said, not recognizing the area though from the last time. "We're about 10 kilometers west where we were yesterday. I did this on purpose, wanted you to see the biggest river in that wilderness, the Winding River." Big river that is, I thought, it's gigantic, but I liked the swamps and ponds better from the eastern half.

It took us another 40 minutes or so and we landed in the Bay of Bluebay, but first Dad had to make a big airial roundtrip of the city and the bay as always. He loves the area ever since he moved here 20 years ago.

Once landed we docked right in front of our home. Oh home sweet home, I thought. I missed my bed, my Mom, my dog and believe it or not, even my sisters and brothers. " You better tie that rope firmly to the deck" father said before leaving with the bags to the house, being greated crazily by the dog." We don't want our plane to swim away while we eat, now don't we?"
During supper I just had to tell everyone about our two days in the wilderness and they actually seemed to be interested. Junior John even asked Dad if he could be a part of the next trip. I love Junior as my brother, but nahhh, he is always telling me what and what not to do, just like Grandpa, and a trip with him wouldn't be so nice, I thought.

After supper I took my fishingrod and went to the seashore to catch myself some smaller saltwaterfish as if I didn't fish enough this weekend. »»

I will be back. Thanks for the comments. I will need two boys and one girl after the next update, two characters for this MD that will grow up with Charlie Gabber. Don't throw in your demand right away, there will be some points to discuss about first. I will talk about this in the next update.

mrb

TheTeaCat

Fascinating start. Wonderful storyline with great background info too. &apls &apls
Marvelous pictures  :thumbsup:
I dipped in and out of NoG at simtrop but its great to be in at the start of this one.
I'd love to be part of the storyline at some time (whenever it suits you). 

I have a feeling this will become like a favorite book that you never want to end :D :D

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Splime

This should be a really neat MD to follow, especially since I found it hard to get into NoG since it had progressed so much before I joined ST...

There is one thing that's bugging me though - the first image you posted in that update (the map) is a jpeg, but this sort of image with so few colors would actually look better (and have a smaller filesize) as a png. Just wanted to say that.

It is really neat how you've divided the Winding River Project into different regions.

Battlecat

Very cool to see the overview of the area's you'll be telling this story in!  They're very beautifully terraformed.  Also your existing cities look fantastic. 

Pat

Fred wow another fantastic update and some more of great story too!!! I can see a CML coming your way along the lines of the "StoryTeller"..... BTW I love your last response to me hehee!!! Looking forward to more...

Patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

pvarcoe

Great Start.
Loved the region shots.
Those are brave souls to have built so close to the waters edge.
Great place to park the seaplane though.
Looking forward to more.

Phil

mrbisonm

TheTeaCat, just be there when I will asking for some members to join their character, it will be over several periods, and great to have you here this time from the beginning on.

Splime, I know just what you mean. I had the choice for a png or a jpg, but I chose the jpg because I thought it looks cool how it saves with changing colours a bit. Maybe next time if I want clearer pics, I will use png's. Thanks for mentioning it.

Battlecat, those are smaller cities, stay with us and hopefully you will see a bigger City than what I created in NoG. I am aiming at least 3 to 4 Million this time. Hope it will fit in the Winding River region. &idea

Pat, what's a CML? and hey....glad to you in GRV II ;)

pvarcoe
, you're right, they must be brave, especially on a seacoast bay like this, but....this is Simcity, kinda different. ;) Thanks for commenting.

mrb

wouanagaine

Freaking awesome region shots !  :thumbsup:
Is Bluebay map available ?

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

JoeST

NoG was what brought me into Simcity, ST and CJ/MD's, it was fantastic, your my "hero" :)

This is turning out to be something awesome. I cant waitq

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

FrankU

This looks like a real interesting trip!
I am glad that I have found the guts to jump in right now.... I always hate it when I find an interesting MD/CJ and then find out that it has been going on for more than a year and that I have to read more than 50 pages just to catch up. As I had to do when I found Three Rivers Region.

So this time I am there at the right moment. Your project looks as promising as 3RR to me.
Definitely a lot to learn for me here!

Maybe I may already subscribe to a position?
You could consider to put me into the story when you need a new young architect for Gabber Msg. My name for this MD would be Franku van der Rohe.

art128

Wow -- that's really nice Fred.
All these city looks excellent my friend, also the home sweet home is pretty nice.
I'm really in love with the city of Bluebay...

Arthur.  &apls :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

metarvo

It's too bad that NoG had to meet an unfortunate end, but it looks like you're coming back stronger than ever, Fred.  Bluebay is absolutely beautiful, and the story is well-developed.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mrbisonm

Wow, with comments like this how can I not continue. I am glad that WRP  (Winding River Project) is accepted by so many. I have a great and longlasting storyline in store with many new Nexis BATs that will be available afterwards.

wouanagaine
, no, the bluebay map as shown is not yet available, but will be later. It is actually a map that I downloaded from the net somewhere, but I heavily transformed it to be able to build a decent city on it. I will upload Bluebay later with credit of the original creator of the basemap that I transformed into this.

JoeST, thanks for the compliment, but being a hero is exagerated....lol ;) Hope that this will bring you as much interest as NoG.

FrankU, it is always better to join a good CJ/MD in the beginning then jumping in somewhere in the middle. When the time has come to have your character join the adventure, let me know about Franku van der Rohe (typical dutch name, btw I lived two years in Maastricht, but grew up near Aachen.), and I'll incorporate him as a young architect for Gabber Managements Inc.

art128, in love with Bluebay...lol...yeah, a nice place. Wait 'til you see the hills and valleys in the backyard and the beautiful but small downtown. ;)

metarvo, I almost fell into tears when I finally had to abandon NoG, but I still play with the region sometimes and only in certain tiles that I can open without the game crashing. Coming back stronger is probably because of all the new stuff, mods and ideas we have nowadays available. The game has changed so much that I don't even consider it as SC4 anymore but more likely like SC5, all converted by our members, modders and players.

The story will continue in a day or so, but be aware though: I have to to make the story a bit long (and maybe a little bit boring to some) in the next two updates, but this is only to well prepare the storyline foundation and the terrain for the big beginning of the Winding River Project. Don't give up, there will be better times ahead when we actually see the new region getting developped. The storybase is necessary for later happenings in every detail, we'll come back in time once we have a big city growing in the WRW (Winding River Wilderness)

Charlie will grow up with us and the region and he will be the Maincharacter for the next 50 updates or so. I think the region can easily take a hundred simyears to develop, meaning maybe two or three generations after Charlie, just like the Nexis family in NoG.

So in the nest update be prepared for a longer story, but I bet that you will be chewing on your fingernails by the end of it.  ;)

Here's a teaser......lol...  ??? %confuso

Thanks,

mrb  ;)

FrankU

Quote from: metarvo on March 12, 2009, 07:02:07 AM
It's too bad that NoG had to meet an unfortunate end, but it looks like you're coming back stronger than ever, Fred. 

Yes! Make frequent backups, so that the region won't die a sudden death from HD crash or CTD, prop pox, seaport incompatibility or all the other bugs that bug us.

FrankU

Quote from: FrankU on March 12, 2009, 07:56:30 AM
Yes! Make frequent backups, so that the region won't die a sudden death from HD crash or CTD, prop pox, seaport incompatibility or all the other bugs that bug us.

And a question: are you going to play the game with a fixed set of plugins or are you going to throw in everything that is developed in the mean time and that seems appropriate?

art128

What a dense forest there Fred, nice mix of trees.

looking forward to the next update for sure !

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

BarbarossaS

Great updates there Fred. I love the Winding River Wilderness map a lot, I can see you spend a lot of time
creating it.

Looking forward to see some development over there!