• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

You could easily repurpose the GLR->EL-Rail ramp from the NAM to make such a piece, it just requires the correct transit switch in place to make it work functionally.

dyoungyn

You all are really hitting the nail on the head.  I have been wanting this piece for years as the game is more and more realistic, the need is greater.

Thank you all so much for all the great things that are being created for SC4.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: dyoungyn on August 13, 2015, 06:17:56 PM
You all are really hitting the nail on the head.  I have been wanting this piece for years as the game is more and more realistic, the need is greater.

Don't get too ahead of yourself. Rail mixing is not supposed to be even a feature, but it's an unwanted side effect of making Light Rail UDIable. It even has an unwanted side effect of slowing down heavy rail traffic. The closest you can get to that is a transit station that offloads passengers from one train to another, not an actual puzzle piece that allows trains from one rail to ride on the other.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

mgb204

Just for clarity, my intention was merely to state that such a model exists and could be made into a prop to create such a lot/transit switch.

I wouldn't really be interested in making such a thing personally, I consider the two networks very separate entities. If you want to elevate your rail why switch to light-rail to do it, wouldn't it simply be easier to use the NAM Rail Viaducts which were designed for this purpose?

GDO29Anagram

For the situation involving rail mixing, I still find it more befitting to have a transit hub that can switch passengers between the two types of trains (heck, you could go for three if you add HSR, even four if you had subways) rather than to visually cheat the system by faking a physical connection between two completely unrelated and separate rail systems. Even if you fake it that way, it's still fake in that it's not functional and still a transit station.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Wiimeiser

On the subject of lots that look like puzzle pieces, I recall there being something that switched from avenue to two parallel roads.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Yeah, I believe that was a Japanese developer who did that one.  It's at least not mixing transit types willy-nilly, but there's no plans to incorporate anything like that, either.

-Alex

cogeo

Quote from: eggman121 on August 09, 2015, 02:03:24 AM
Anyways here is my latest work  ;D

Great work, but... what happened to the overhead wire? Has it been ditched? I remember some pics I had seen in the past, and I really liked them.

Quote from: eggman121 on August 09, 2015, 02:03:24 AM
Guess what this may be used for!

Well I can see some use for this. This track layout is called scissors junction, and is useful for the "terminal" (not "through") type of stations - put it just out of the station, so trains can change tracks.

Quote from: APSMS on August 12, 2015, 06:43:53 PM
Will the heavy rail paths remain on the Light Rail tracks? UDI isn't that big for me, per se, but part of the region I am "reinterpreting" for my MD has Light Rail trains run on heavy rail track, and I'd like to be able to present the illusion of this occurring without resorting to Photoshop/GIMP (I can use the Light Rail track for the heavy rail paths, or a Light Rail automata generator near Heavy Rail to simulate this currently due to the way the automata seems to be handled by the game)

Ehmmm, heavy rail automata can be tricked to run on light rail track (which of course looks unrealistic), not the opposite. Having light rail automata running on heavy rail track is absolutely realistic, and it happens in the real world too, at least in Europe, where many local/commuter/suburban EMUs and DMUs partially use the same network as the mainline trains (eg up to 100 or even 200km off the city centre). I was actually about to do make a set of puzzle pieces (like the GLR's), serving both rail types (and of course having both path types), using the standard rail textures. This wouldn't really be much work, and would be functional too. But then I lost interest on SC4 and abandoned the idea. This would as well require re-modding the stations you want to use (so as to serve both rail types).

As for your MD, I could instead think of two altermatives:
- Make your rail network "regional", rather than "intercity" (duh). It's not hard at all, just use small stations (for more realistic views) and install a mod that replaces SC4's trains with something that looks more like an EMU/DMU.
- Some little modding, change the heavy rail automata exemplars so that they use the light rail automata models (really little work) - isntall them for just taking the shots.

eggman121

Quote from: cogeo on August 14, 2015, 08:36:37 AM
Great work, but... what happened to the overhead wire? Has it been ditched? I remember some pics I had seen in the past, and I really liked them.

There still coming, but not at the highest priority at the moment. I have to get the pieces being functional first. They probably wont appear when draggable rail viaducts become a thing.

-eggman121

dyoungyn

Quote from: mgb204 on August 13, 2015, 06:40:01 PM
Just for clarity, my intention was merely to state that such a model exists and could be made into a prop to create such a lot/transit switch.

I wouldn't really be interested in making such a thing personally, I consider the two networks very separate entities. If you want to elevate your rail why switch to light-rail to do it, wouldn't it simply be easier to use the NAM Rail Viaducts which were designed for this purpose?

I am so happy here this has caused a dialog of interest.:thumbsup:  Yes, NAM Rail Viaducts are GREAT,&apls, HOWEVER,&idea, one cannot make a neighbor connection with the viaducts unless&idea someone could post a tutorial:bnn: to such a thing then the transition piece would be a thing of the past &hlp.  All that I ever wanted is raised rail that connects to neighbors that can easily transition to ground realistically such as viaducts. 

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: dyoungyn on August 14, 2015, 04:19:00 PM
Yes, NAM Rail Viaducts are GREAT,&apls, HOWEVER,&idea, one cannot make a neighbor connection with the viaducts unless&idea someone could post a tutorial:bnn: to such a thing then the transition piece would be a thing of the past

That's always been possible for ages; just make a regular rail connection and then place the viaduct pieces on top. No convoluted transitions even needed.

Our stance on rail mixing is still unchanged, however.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Kuewr665

I am wondering if L1 RRW will be draggable. I have seen a picture of L1 RRW early in the thread, but it is a piece and not draggable.

Tarkus

Quote from: Kuewr665 on August 15, 2015, 02:03:15 AM
I am wondering if L1 RRW will be draggable. I have seen a picture of L1 RRW early in the thread, but it is a piece and not draggable.

L1 RRW will definitely be draggable when it arrives.  There's never been an actual L1 RRW puzzle piece made, to my knowledge.  It is certainly possible that Willy or someone else might have prototyped L1 earlier in this thread, as a direct replacement over the existing L2 puzzle models, but there will be no L1 RRW puzzle pieces released. 

All future viaduct development with Rail/RRW as well as Road, OWR, and Avenue (and potentially NWM networks), will be draggable.

-Alex

Kuewr665

Tropod

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on August 13, 2015, 06:28:29 PM
Don't get too ahead of yourself. Rail mixing is not supposed to be even a feature, but it's an unwanted side effect of making Light Rail UDIable...

Can blame me for this :P. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have implemented them in the original ELRail concept/paths, I should have shelved it along with UDI Subway. But what can I say, I don't mind it.

Indiana Joe

Quote from: Vizoria on August 06, 2015, 06:42:57 AM
Edit, I downloaded the textures but the zip file has no content inside of it.

Whoops, didn't see this.  Seems to be working for me however.  Double checked on another computer.  If someone else wants to help confirm that would be great!

APSMS

Don't know if you updated the .zip or not, but it worked for me as of 2 minutes ago.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

eggman121

Total MRCs for RRW anyone  ::)

Hope you like. I also have a secret weapon in the works  ?$%kar&%h

I will present it in a video that I plan to make when I have figured out the mechanics.

Still a bit of work to do in RRW land. Gosh I believe that the RRW rails could rival the flexability of the C:S rails with the new functionality.

Cant wait to get your impressions!

-eggman121

Themistokles

For my money, RRW rivals CS rails for looks since ever and functionality too (because they can't be used in SC4 anyways $%Grinno$%). Seriously, though, the smoothness of these curves is mind-blowing and I'm really grateful that you give the railways the appreciation they deserve!
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill