• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What causes Prop Pox (and how to avoid it)

Started by bap, February 24, 2009, 08:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

Might I ask what three so I know what to update?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

fantozzi

Quote from: xxdita on May 02, 2020, 01:23:36 PM
Quote from: vortext on January 21, 2018, 04:58:26 AM
Wow wow wow indeed! Almost nine year since the start of this thread, and after 38 pages of explanation & confusion (in equals amounts  :D) it seems we can finally close the prop pox chapter once and for all. What a momentous day!  &apls &apls

I have good news to add.

The current STEX Admins have taken the bold steps to update the 3 PEG files proven within this thread to be the only known causes of Prop Pox. New players just coming into the world of custom content will never have to worry about seeing the props in their cities totally decimated.

If you have already installed PEG's original files, whether you update them or not is up to you. But either way, I would still strongly suggest continuing to use SC4Fix.

It was before the time I joined community but I heared there was much quarrel and anger about this files and so propox even disunited the community and caused harm not only to the game but also to the players that turned away in bitterness.

So - imho - maybe this means something more than just a fix. Maybe it is also a chance for some old pals to make peace on those other things that happened by this time? 

xxdita

Quote from: fantozzi on May 03, 2020, 12:42:42 AM

It was before the time I joined community but I heared there was much quarrel and anger about this files and so propox even disunited the community and caused harm not only to the game but also to the players that turned away in bitterness.

So - imho - maybe this means something more than just a fix. Maybe it is also a chance for some old pals to make peace on those other things that happened by this time? 

I think any chance of that has slipped away. The people that were directly involved on both sides are mostly no longer active, or have passed away. So any feud has been silent for some time now. Anyone coming in after and taking a side on the matter for personal reasons is just trying to stir a pot that has been empty for years, when they don't have all the information, nor do they care to do any research on the matter.

Whether it's Prop Pox, Seaports, whatever, some people are always going to have an opinion. I prefer dealing with facts whenever possible. But even on important real world issues, there are those that refuse to believe valid science.

mgb204

The current STEX Admins have taken the bold steps to update the 3 PEG files proven within this thread to be the only known causes of Prop Pox.

Actually, it's only one file that has ever been said to have the problem, PEG-OWW2_BDK_RESOURCE.dat. Any other updates are simply because the lots using Props from that package needed updating to reflect their new IDs.

xxdita

Quote from: mgb204 on May 03, 2020, 04:00:55 PM
The current STEX Admins have taken the bold steps to update the 3 PEG files proven within this thread to be the only known causes of Prop Pox.

Actually, it's only one file that has ever been said to have the problem, PEG-OWW2_BDK_RESOURCE.dat. Any other updates are simply because the lots using Props from that package needed updating to reflect their new IDs.

Good to know. That information didn't come out over the course of the ST thread.

I won't be testing any of these fixes further, as my involvement on matters concerning PEG seems to get people riled up. I also do not use PEG's files in my own gameplay.

But is it necessary for people to demolish existing instances of the altered lots for these lotting changes to take effect? That's pretty standard, right?