• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GLR & Tram-Avenues - Help and Development

Started by Chrisim, May 11, 2008, 04:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyloxadoria

Quote from: Diggis on November 25, 2008, 07:03:51 AM
After some serious experimentation, and then being told by chris adams  :D, the lowest LOD that will avoid ground issues is .55m high.

To get your textures right, try using the calibrating photoshop tutorial by gas cooker to modify the colours to what you want.  BAT will change them.

Also make sure is ground model is unchecked in the properties of the model.

I have always been using color correction, and i found out what the problem was. I color corrected the lot textures, not the NAM file textures, so color correcting already color corrected textures didn't work. I extracted them directly from the NAM, and it works now.

The roads were all planes, so i think the edge problem was caused because it was the building on the lot and not the prop.

I have attached the fixed model to this post.

cogeo

I don't see why the whole thing needs to be modelled. Couldn't you just model the ramp and the walls around it and use textures for the avenue? You would have far fewer issues with the LODs and height differences. Network textures can be matched much easier by lot textures rather than models. Look at the RTMT, they are actually lots (using lot textures), but you can't really see any difference between the roads and these. I have experimented and found the Intensity/Contrast values that need to be applied to convert a network texrure to a lot texture (and having them looking identical). As for the model, I would suggest that you experiment with seting the Is Ground Model property to False. The shadow for such low models is barely visible (so not having a shadow isn't really much of a loss), and you can get rid of problems like interacting with the ground and/or the shadow (those dreaded "grille" lines).

FrankU

Thanks for the model!

I'll use it ASAP and let you know what I think of it.

mike3775

Sorry to bump this old thread, I have ben using the GLR more and more and love it, but the only thing I do not like about it so far is the lack of having a GLR track going straight through an avenue T intersection. 

Would it be possible to make a piece that does that?

Chrisim

Like the left piece with GLR tracks continueing straight - like the right piece without avenue on one side?
You often find it in real life. Not so easy to implement due to the fact each side is two tiles wide and GLR is one tile wide. It would need an assymmetrical texture. I don't promise anything, but will keep it in mind. Would be helpful in my cities too ...  ;)

Other tram-avenue pieces missing? - in addition to more diagonal stuff ...

mike3775

Quote from: Chrisim on March 20, 2009, 10:35:23 AM

Like the left piece with GLR tracks continueing straight - like the right piece without avenue on one side?
You often find it in real life. Not so easy to implement due to the fact each side is two tiles wide and GLR is one tile wide. It would need an assymmetrical texture. I don't promise anything, but will keep it in mind. Would be helpful in my cities too ...  ;)

Other tram-avenue pieces missing? - in addition to more diagonal stuff ...

Thanks Chrisim.  If its to much work, don't worry about it, I just use the avenue to road split piece or just use the solo piece and never end the avenue, just it does not look right and my sims use those for some stupid reason thinking they go through when they don't  lol

FrankU

Last weekend I have tried to run an avenue with GLR under the original EL-rail. There is no ploppable crossing for it, like there is for raised highways and for raised rail.  Also there is a ploppable for GLR under EL-rail. So I had to widen my avenue to two oneway roads with GLR in the middle, run them under EL-rail and join them together at the other side (sorry I have no picture, and the computer is at home). It took me an hour to find out this was the only solution.
Would it be possible to make a crossing for GLR in avenue with EL-rail?

WC_EEND

I don't know if this topic also is for suggestions for GLR

here's a suggestion for a tram-avenue end piece

EDIT: forgot to include the pic, here it is:
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

FrankU

chrisnhl

Do people have access to the buildings that are attached to GLR avenue or Trams?

mike3775

cities where I have used it, the RES does not build, it gives the dreaded no car zots, but industrial and commercial have developed

z

That's only at the stations.  The roads themselves are standard networks, and everything develops normally around them.

mike3775

Quote from: z on June 06, 2009, 09:19:09 PM
That's only at the stations.  The roads themselves are standard networks, and everything develops normally around them.

Oops forgot to put that in.  :(

z

If you arrange your zoning so that only part of a zone faces the station and part faces the network, then you won't have an access problem.  Of course, SC4 may treat your zoning as purely advisory, and it may take a few tries before you get a particular parcel to work.

Also notice that although commercial and industrial develop normal in front of stations, if part of their zone does not extend past the station, no Sims will actually go to work there.  This is easy to miss.

DarkMat

Although this question concerns tram in road, and not avenue, i think it might also apply to the avenue trams.

The problem is purely graphical.
When i set up the network, all the connections (3 way, 4 way, straight tram with crossing road, etc.) will not have either cars or trams crossing. All automa stops on edge and disappears after a while. The inquiry tool shows passing traffic, and in U-drive there is no problems crossing.
I delete the puzzlepiece, replace it and add the connecting straight pieces, and now the traffic cross it, but only for a limited time, or, if i try to do this to every connection, then the ones that were previously working, now seize to function.

Is there a solution? It seems that placing the connections before connecting them to the rest works, but only for a while.

Thanks in advance

Bergulf

Hey, I have a question.
Why do we have to find our own stations on the stex/lex?
As we get all the other pieces for tram/GLR, shouldn't there be stations/stops within those pieces too?
Just wonder!

Andreas

Quote from: Bergulf on August 17, 2009, 01:49:39 PM
Hey, I have a question.
Why do we have to find our own stations on the stex/lex?
As we get all the other pieces for tram/GLR, shouldn't there be stations/stops within those pieces too?

No, why? The Network Addon Mod is a mod that contains network items - but stations are lots, that's something different. ;) If you want new buildings, you download them from the STEX/LEX separately, and if you want new railway stations or bus stops, you download them separately as well. So why should it be different for GLR stations?
Andreas

Mad_genius

Hi everyone.

I've done some great work here with glr.

There's something I need to request or at least ask you if it is doable.
In my cities I usually use avenues to cross with elevated highways and I'm now starting to use the glr in avenue, glr in road, etc. and I find that sometimes I need to make the glr go under the highway but keeping it as close to the avenue as possible.

What I would like to have is an highway/avenue intersection with the onramps but having the glr in avenue feature. That way I could keep the glr running along the avenue.

I don't expect this to be made instantly so take your time and keep up the good work.  :thumbsup:

z

It's definitely doable.

I'll second that request - I know I would use it.

SimNation

I would like to request a number of pieces that I believe are kinda essential for GLR in Ave to have full functionality.

1. GLR-in-Ave with Diagonal Road Intersection               (actual intersections with stop lights)
2. Diagonal GLR-in-Ave with Straight Road Intersection   (actual intersections with stop lights)
3. GLR-in-Ave with Diagonal Street Intersection             (actual intersections with railroad crossing lights)
4. Diagonal GLR-in-Ave with Straight Road Intersection    (actual intersections with railroad crossing lights)
5. GLR-in-Ave with Diagonal Heavy Rail Intersection
6. Diagonal GLR-in-Ave with straight Heavy Rail Intersection

These pieces I believe are needed. As I was doing GLR-in-Ave for my lastest low-density city I came into many instances where I could not use GLR-in-Ave because those 6 pieces do not exist which kinda stinks since I find GLR-in-ave a lot more useful then the regular GLR by itself.I would also like to see these pieces created for the new T-Ram someday.