• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cosmetic Request: Rumble Strips

Started by wallasey, July 10, 2011, 02:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallasey

Apologies if this has been brought up previously,

How feasible would it be to include rumble strip cosmetic pieces in a forthcoming NAM?

Essentially their job is to slow down high speed traffic on the approach to a roundabout, typically this would be suited to AVE2 or RHW2 pieces.

Example 1

Example 2

Thanks for your time.

Ryan B.

I like this idea . . . I also think it'd make sense to include them on RHW-2's (i.e. approaching an intersection); we could use them for tollbooths . . . or even on regular roads for curves / speed zones. 

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/resources/intsafestratbro/ue6_rumble_strips.pdf

Dexter

I have in fact requested this a few times before, as they're quite common in the UK.
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Shadow Assassin

It can be done very easily. Of course they'd be nothing more than a cosmetic puzzle piece though.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

GMT

idk now about the inner workings, but wouldn't it be possible to also redefine the vehicle speeds for such cosmetic lots? might not work for normal intersections, but since these rumble strips are also common at the end of highways and the likes, they might be visually implemented into respective transition pieces, right?

... really, it is. I swear.

jdenm8

Changing their speed is not possible as they'll be based on their base network, of which there is only ever one speed (unless there is a substantial change in height or direction)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Shark7

Here where I live in Texas, they've put these 'rumble strips' up at an intersection that has had many fatal accidents over the years.  The idea is to get you to pay attention as you approach the intersection...they will certainly wake you up as you go over them.

I don't have a picture of it, nor can I easily get one posted, but you have a rumble strip of bright yellow bumps in the road (12 I think) with a very large 'STOP AHEAD' just a bit ahead of it in bright yellow paint with reflectors on the road.

Has it helped?  Not really, but TxDoT can only do so much, if people choose to speed and run the intersection, that is there own stupidity.

GMT

Quote from: jdenm8 on July 11, 2011, 05:51:15 AM
Changing their speed is not possible as they'll be based on their base network, of which there is only ever one speed (unless there is a substantial change in height or direction)

but that doesn't account to transitions from, say highway to avenue or from road to street. that's what I was talking about. to cosmetically add these rumble strips to such transitions.

... really, it is. I swear.

drjumbajookiba

Well Hawaii has Rumble Strips on sharp Curves on Freeways and state highway ;D
Live Out loud For God