• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

korver

- UPDATE 44: Paris (Pt. 3/3) -

Our trip to Paris continues with a trip to the Sacré-Cœur Basilica (Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris) - one of Paris' most beautiful churches, often drawing comparisons to the Taj Mahal. Located on top of a small hill in the heart of the city, the church is visible for miles around.

The next stop is Place de la Concorde - Paris' most famous square. Originally designed in 1755, this square is unlike anything else in the city - complete with a massive authentic Egyptian obelisk in the middle.

The Panthéon, located in Paris' Latin Quarter, is another one of the cities most famed landmarks. Originally modeled after Rome's Pantheon and built as a church - it now functions as a mausoleum for many of France's most famous citizens.

The Bourse de commerce is one of the city's most unique buildings, both in shape and function. It was originally used as a place to trade grain upon completion in 1763, then as a stock exchange, and more recently, plans are underway to transform it into a major art museum.

The 689 foot tall Tour Montparnasse is the tallest skyscraper in Paris - and is hard to miss. Upon completion in 1973, the building was heavily criticized for its style and for being out of place - and as a result, buildings over 7 stories tall were banned from the city center. A massive renovation is slated to begin in 2019.

Our tour of Paris ends with one of the city's most famous landmarks - the Arc de Triomphe. Built between 1803 and 1836, this iconic monument serves as a tribute to French soldiers lost in wars and has important military leaders engraved on its walls. For those wishing to get up close - make sure you use the underground tunnels instead of dodging the traffic..

-korver

---

Replies

art128: Thanks for the comment! Yeah, on second glance that would have been a good call. Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

kbieniu7: Thank you for the kind words! Glad you liked it :)

Badsim

Hi ,

The trip to Cephalonia was simple ( I mean whithout striking BATs  ::) ) and simply delicious & breathtaking ... and , as I told you by PM , I was happy to see how your MD evoluates with such detailed updates . :thumbsup:

About Paris ( passing by Prague ... ) ? Incredible , of course  -  these words are going so strangely well together here . Not so much by the quality of your pictures ( we start to be used to your standard  - alas !  :P ) than by that avalanche of pictures , knowing the amount of work behind each of them  ... yeah , incredible . &apls &apls &apls  The Grande Arche , Sacré-cœur and Pantheon both BATed by frogface many years ago would deserve a better version ... on the contrary  , the asphalt texture of Place de l'étoile ( Arc de Triomphe )and its layout is truly stunning . :o

What else to say ? Too much things , really , this is coming too fast for us , mere mortals ... $%Grinno$%

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

art128

Very nice again!

One thing though, between Montparnasse tower and station, it's a pedestrian area so there are no roads.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bombardiere

Once again really great work.  &apls I find it hard to believe that this is ages old Sim city 4 that you use as base.   :o Especially Cephalonia looks like from postcards, not from 14 years old isometric game.

I have built a Paris for long time but I have not got anything close to what you have done.  :thumbsup: However, a question about Paris. What you used for Louvre? Not the triangle, but for old Palace? I have not found anything that would replicate it nicely for my city.

Orange_o_

I do not remember that I had uploaded the Place de la Concorde? But it is a beautiful work !!!

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

korver

- UPDATE 45: London (Canary Wharf) -

London is the capital and largest city of England and the United Kingdom. It's a city known for its culture, history, and traditions - and is one of the world's most visited cities. Additionally, it's one of the world's greatest commercial, financial, and industrial centers - and is widely known as a truly global city.

Over the next three update updates I'll be covering some of the city's most incredible sights and landmarks - starting with Canary Wharf.  This major banking district is located on the Isle of Dogs on the banks of the River Thames - and has been home to some of the busiest ports in the world over the years.

Today, its best known for its incredible collection of skyscrapers like the 771 ft tall One Canada Square (lower middle below, with the pyramid top), 655 ft tall 8 Canada Square (HSBC Tower, lower left below), and the 655 ft tall 25 Canada Square (middle skyscraper below, citigroup signage) - which are among the tallest in the United Kingdom.

-korver

---

Replies

Badsim: Thank you very much for the nice comment, glad you enjoyed it all! :) I definitely agree - it would be great to have some updated versions of those landmarks (and some proper versions of various buildings that haven't been released yet like The Louvre). If only Xannepan was still around.. :P

art128: Thanks for the comment! Yeah, unfortunately I missed that, I'm blaming the blurry Google Earth image I was working from $%Grinno$%

bombardiere: Thanks for the nice words! The buildings around the outside were made up of lots of various props from a Debussyman prop pack here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1501.

Orange_o_: Thank you! It's actually a custom texture I made :P

Silur

Perfect work and wonderfull ! You can show us more and more ...  :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls

Simmer2

That last pic made me rush to go grab my umbrella... &apls

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

siemanthepieman

I have taken to Googling the locations you create to see just how accurate they are and every detail I cross check is accounted for and superbly done.

Amazing effort, all of your updates are just so cool to see.

kelis

I'm so sorry, I had no time to comment in the last updates and you deserve all the words that we can write here...

About Paris, as I said in the other page, I can feel every place, every street that you've made...I can see myself again walking around that city...
your recreation is fantastic and one more time you brought back my love about recreations... I've made some recreations during my SC4 years...
always wanted to recreate Paris... maybe I will do it some day... anyway yours is perfect and I know that because I felt that while I was looking at it...

Canary Wharf is also really well done, one of the most beautiful CBD around the world... I can't wait to see the city itself, I always find London hard to recreate...

Greetings and keep up the good work  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

korver

- UPDATE 47: London (The City & The Shard) -

Our trip to London continues with another look at its incredible skyline. After taking a look at Canary Wharf in the first update, we're taking a look at London's other main financial district - The City of London, also known as The City, along with The Shard today.

One of the city's most distinctive skyscrapers is the 591 foot tall 30 St Mary Axe (also referred to as the Gherkin, due its resemblance to a cucumber). Since opening in 2004, it has received many awards for its unique style and ecological footprint.

Another rainy day with three of London's tallest buildings - Tower 42 (Completed 1980, 600 feet tall), 99 Bishopsgate (Completed 1976, 341 feet tall), and 122 Leadenhall Street (Completed 2014, 738 feet tall - also known as the cheese grater).

A couple various shots of The City.

The Shard has become one of London's most recognizable buildings since opening in 2013 - rising 86 floors and 1,016 feet tall, its the tallest building in the United Kingdom and offers breathtaking views from the top.

-korver

---

Replies

Silur: Thanks! There's plenty more to come ;)

Simmer2: Thank you! You might want to keep it close by the the last London update, too :D

siemanthepieman: Thank you very much, glad you liked it! :) I always have Google Earth up 24/7 to make sure I get as many details as possible :P   

kelis: Thanks for the nice comment! It's always cool to hear from people who've been there - glad you enjoyed it! I've been amazed by some of your incredible recreations in the past - it would be pretty awesome to see Paris in your hands too ;)

bladeberkman

This is so cool.  &apls Great mix of buildings; they complement each other well. Sometimes it can be challenging to blend old and new in a given area because the quality of the content is so different — models keep getting better with time. However, you've done it in a way that is convincing and the result is beautiful.  :)

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Akallan

Holalala, I missed a lot of your latest updates! Anyway, it's breathtaking, the pictures of London in the middle of the night, great! The city of Paris is superbly realized, the "Arc de Triomphe" is my favorite!I'll stay tuned for future updates! :popcorn:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

kelis

Fantastic job as always !! It had to be hard to create right? London has a lot of complications to be recreated, especially those narrow streets...

&apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

korver

- UPDATE 47: London (Landmarks) -

For the final chapter of London, we're taking a look at some more of the city's most iconic landmarks. We begin with a look back in time to the 1200s - to the Old London Bridge. Constructed in 1209 - this bridge stood for over 600 years as the main route across the River Thames. While long gone, various drawings from the era depict a bustling bridge surrounded by medieval houses on both sides. Unfortunately, the design of the bridge led to its ultimate demise, as it impeded river traffic - and was eventually demolished in the 1800s to make way for a more modern bridge.

The next stop is one of London's most awe-inspiring buildings - St. Paul's Cathedral. Designed by famed architect Christopher Wren and opened in 1708, it was part of a major rebuilding program after the Great Fire of London in 1666. The cathedral serves as the seat of the Bishop of London and the mother church of the Diocese of London - and is one of the city's most popular attractions as well.

The London Eye is one of the city's most popular attractions - located on the banks of the River Thames, it was the world's largest Ferris wheel when completed in 2000. If you can get past the long lines, the views of the city's South Bank from the top are incredible.

We continue on with a trip to London's stunning Tower Bridge. Not to be confused with the original London Bridge (as seen in the first picture, since replaced with more modern versions) - this Victorian Gothic landmark has been one of the city's most distinctive sights since its completion in 1894.

Close by Tower Bridge is another one of the city's famous landmarks - the Tower of London. This historic structure was built back in the 1190s and has served as a fortress, palace, and prison.

Our next stop is one of the city's most famous squares - Trafalgar Square. Its named after the famed Battle of Trafalgar - a key British naval victory in 1805 - and it's been a popular gathering place for people (and pigeons) since 1840. The iconic Nelson's Column in the middle of the square is one of the city's most famous monuments.

Our last stop is one of the world's most iconic buildings - Big Ben. This famous clock tower is located on the north end of the Palace of Westminster and has chimed since 1859. Recent maintenance repairs though means you'll have to wait until 2021 to hear it regularly again.

-korver

Special thanks to vortext for allowing me to use his unreleased cobblestone road textures on the streets surrounding the Old London Bridge picture and others in this MD! Much appreciated :)

---

Replies

bladeberkman: Thanks! I had to do a lot of looking around to find the right buildings, and there was certainly a lot of demolishing and redoing various areas before I finally got the perfect look I was after :)

Alan_Waters: Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

vinlabsc3k: Thank you very much! :)

Akallan: Thanks, glad you liked it! I have alot more coming, so stay tuned :)

kelis: Thanks! The most difficult aspect was definitely getting the roads the right angle - and also finding enough decent FAR/diagonal buildings. I think it turned out pretty nicely though :)

Tyberius06

:D :D :D It's London and it's raining... So typical! :)
Amazing pictures again!   &apls &apls &apls &apls

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

TheTeaCat

WOW!!

Living in London and having been to all of these sights you shown (well except the original London Bridge) all I can say is ... you are bang on the money! Perfect recreations. It felt like I was there.

The only thing that seems out of place is the concrete pilings for the London Bridge, The originals were stones, wood and mud that had to be refilled almost on a daily basis but I am nitpicking here.

A truly fantastic set of updates.  &apls

Derry   
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Badsim

Extraordinary ... as  always .  &apls &apls &apls

Can't still believe in such amount of scenes when I feel the amount of work behind each of them ... And perfect timing to proclaim « God Save Korver ! »  ;D

Cédric

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °