• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Definition Props and Textures - Discussion thread

Started by mightygoose, March 28, 2009, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

I've seen 256x256 textures before at the Maxis Highways. They can't be made with the SC4Tool, but maybe with the Vista Compatible FSH-Lib I can make them with FiSHman...

This discovery is definitely pushing the limits of SC4  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Jonathan

I'm not sure, but would my tool here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7127.0 (last post) be able to create HD Textures, it can create any size FSH, and you just select a bitmap and a alpha (I haven't yet worked out how to get pngs with transparency to work) and it creates a FSH.

Forgot to add, I haven't used this version of EA graph, yet so I don't know how it compares to the older one which was a bit complicated (well at least for me)

Jonathan

mightygoose

should do, but i'll just reiterate that eagraph will do direct psd to fsh conversion.. and will generate the alpha...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Tarkus

Quote from: mightygoose on March 29, 2009, 06:43:17 AM
and will generate the alpha...

That, to me, is the nicest thing about EA Graph--no more manually making Alphas.  It would particularly come in handy on Rail textures, I'd think.

-Alex

buddybud

lol...Thats exactly what i kept saying to goose all yesterday morning....also i want to explore the different compression, packing and mutiple fsh formats that this tool makes possible. There could be some other goodies lurking within!....

Cheers.

Bud

Toichus Maximus

This is phenomenal! Those rail textures are absolutely excellent! Damn.... just after STR and the first RAM was finished, too...

buddybud

Rather ironic but really it just gives us even more ability to make this game that much more realistic....Since that is the goal of the ram team and most of this community i am sure they will be just as pleased. Also since it's a relatively new thing we may still find there are certain limitations or even reasons not to use this at all...time will tell..
I just a week or so ago finished my textures for my el rail mod....I've playing with 256's now and somewhat dismayed by this myself!!  $%Grinno$%

by the way the rail texture used in the photo's is from turbosquid and is not mine or goose's...but i'm sure someone will come up with something equally impressive

Cheers...
Bud

TEG24601

This is awesome.  I can't wait for what ever sort of patch/add-on that can be made to bring these updated, and realistic graphics to the SC4 Universe.

buddybud

here's what i've been able to come up with...i never could have got that third rail in there. I'm quite pleased with the detail!

Ryan B.

Ho-lee macaroni . . . . . roads are never going to look the same again, folks.

Pat

ummm wow!!! This is incredibale here Bud... Could I ask a favor of you and or John is to write up something for me as a overview what you all know of this New High Def Texturing... I want to include it into this next podcast coming out shortly...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mightygoose

you know, HD textures don't half make maxis ones look naff....

Pat

Naff??? Do I dare ask John lol anywho those look real sweet!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

buddybud

a little bit more info. It seems that to make a proper working base texture you have to start with a 256x256 png and bring it into the eagraphic tool then save it as a 24 bit fsh.

heres my go at a sidewalk.

Pat i'll get something written up by tomorrow night...not much to it really. But i'll write down what we know so far. It's all in this thread really....honest!

sithlrd98

I'm not sure what Naff means , but these textures are looking real good John &Buddy!

Jayson

mightygoose

nerdly_dood

I agree with MightyGoose, that first set of textures is a bit rough - but Buddybud's set is UH-MAZING.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Diggis

Quote from: Tarkus on March 28, 2009, 04:24:31 PM
I have a hunch that the game is simply using the 256x256 for all view levels as opposed to relying on the farther-out textures, from the looks of things.
-Alex

I noticed this was never answered.  Really simple process to test it.  Create the zooms as per normal and the replace the 5th zoom with a marked texture (or just a red box or something).  If is shows up at all zooms then you know you are right.

mightygoose

Quote from: nerdly_dood on March 30, 2009, 08:15:58 PM
I agree with MightyGoose, that first set of textures is a bit rough - but Buddybud's set is UH-MAZING.

*facepalms* i was saying that even basic hi def textures make maxis ones look bad, but yeah i spose they are abit rough...