• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Interchange Guide Submissions

Started by Haljackey, November 26, 2011, 12:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abrams124

Basic tight diamond interchange(Updated design)

Step 1.I've marked the middle of the diamond interchange

Step 2. and 3.Make sure you have 7 empty tiles on both side and in the middle plop the flex transitions and connect them.

Step 4.Put two flex transitions in the tile where is the rhw median located.

Step 5.Connect them

Step 6.Find rhw 6 c Type d-1 Dual Shift inside ramp piece and plop it on both ends like this:

Step 7.Connect the rhw 4

Step 8.(Not necessary)Add CP puzzle pieces for eyecandy

Pythias900KMB

Many salutations!!!  I would like to contribute a stack interchange design known as the »Quadrangle Criss-Cross« which takes into account the NAM's inability to have more than two different networks on the same tile and does not require any burrowing into the ground beyond excavating the 15 meter deep trench at whose bed the RHW rests.  Anyway, let us get right to it right away!!!

First, place a 2x2 cluster of rail tiles and draw four lengths of RHW-2 along the perimeter on all four sides; if done correctly, you should have a tic-tac-toe grid like the provided screen capture.

Pythias900KMB

Second, place a 3x3 cluster of rail tiles to the outside of the RHW-2.  Follow up with a 2x2 triangle cluster to the outside of the 3x3 rail tile cluster; if done correctly, you should have something like the provided screen capture.  The triangular 5x5 cluster is very important going forward, folks; the hypotenuse of the triangle has two very important functions:  it not only guides the alignment of the left-turn ramps so that they criss-cross right in the two-tile median between the carriageways but also guides the alignment of the right-turn ramps.  Now that you know this, go repeat this on the other three corners!

Pythias900KMB

Before we proceed, take a moment to appraise your handiwork.  Does it match the tic-tac-toe grid in a square shown in the screen capture?  If so, give yourself a pat on the back and get right back to work.  The third step where you draw the diagonal stretches of RHW-2 along the hypotenuse of the 5x5 triangular clusters is where you can see your hard work start to pay off; as previously mentioned, these will not only be your left-turn ramps but will guide you in adding your right-turn ramps.

Pythias900KMB

If you have a tic-tac-toe grid in a square as shown in the screen capture, I have good news:  most of the tricky engineering is behind you!  Have some humility, though; we are not done with this interchange -- not by a long shot.  Even with the left-turn ramps having already been plotted out, all of that hard work will be for naught if you avail the wrong FlexFly curves.  Exempli gratia:  suppose that you designate the through lanes for the north-south highway at L0.  If that is to work, the left-turn ramp has to be at L1 at the lowest; if you carelessly employ an L0 B1 RHW-4 FlexFly, it will override the diagonal RHW-2 as such and it will be a huge headache to get that re-overridden so that there is a grade separation without having to delete the ENTIRE diagonal RHW-2 and start again.  MORAL OF THE STORY:  Before giving the mouse click to place a B1 FlexFly, confirm it once, confirm it twice, conform it thrice that you have indeed selected the correct one so that you never have to pull out the RHW Disconnect Tile and erase an entire ramp prior to redoing it.

Pythias900KMB

Along those same general lines, please take a moment to proactively plan your grade separations.  The attached screen capture shows how beautiful the Quadrangle Criss-Cross can be with a little proactive planning and an eye to detail.  For this one, I had a rail line going through the western approach; upon realizing that L0 would be needed for the railway and the avenue, I made certain to avail only L1 and L2 FlexFly curves.

To help keep the elevations straight as you are doing this, please bear this in mind:

L0 -- available by default; first choice unless there is a railway or roadway across the interchange approach

L1 -- (L0 + 7.5 meters) I do not like its puny appearance; still, its short FlexHeight ramp helps to make up for this aversion (aka second choice)

L2 -- (L0 + 15 meters) I love how it stands above the terrain; still, its FlexHeight ramp requires a bit of planning for its length (aka absolute last resort for FlexFly)

L3 -- (L0 + 22.5 meters) An L1 FlexHeight ramp and an L2 FlexHeight ramp are both needed. Use only for the through carriageways.

L4 -- (L0 + 30 meters) Two L2 FlexHeight ramps are needed.  I would love to use this for the through carriageways someday when I have the necessary space ^_^

Pythias900KMB

Finally, the Quadrangle Criss-Cross looks its best when the RHW-10S is availed both upstream and downstream.  An A2 egress Flex Ramp should be availed on flat ground before the interchange to lead traffic into the left-turn ramp which should then terminate with an L0 RHW-4 to MIS transition prior to a D1 ramp being availed to weave the motor traffic into the destination highway.  I take great pains to have the A2 egress FlexRamp and the D1 access ramp directly across from each other.  See the attached screen capture for reference -- though, in most cases, the Inside A1 ramps would not be there.

Right-turn ramps should both begin and end with the D2 FlexRamp which can be availed as part of an L1 or L2 elevated RHW; here again, I take great pains to have the D2 FlexRamps directly across from each other.

Please bear in mind that the FlexFly curves will gladly enjoy being placed under or over the through lanes in any configuration as long as you mind the grade separation and the proximity to another FlexFly curve.  FlexFly curves are great neighbors to orthogonal or diagonal segments of RHW but  not so much to each other.

Pythias900KMB

Really annoying when this happens when you are putting in the right-turn ramps.  Try drawing out the diagonal portion of the right-turn ramp before adding the B2 45-degree FlexFly.